/ Insurance for Denali

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Piers Harley - on 14:59 Sun

Can anyone recommend or know of an insurance company that would provide cover for Denali? I’ve investigated BMC and it’s frankly extortionate. 
Help please!

chris687 - on 16:16 Sun
In reply to Piers Harley:

Have a look at Dog Tag insurance.  I used them for some stuff in the states before and they seemed better than most insurance companies.  I was actually able to talk to people and ask questions.  I'd be interested to hear who you end up using as I'll be in the same area next year

alexm198 - on 17:15 Sun

Join CAF and buy their worldwide insurance bolt on. The whole lot will only cost you <€200 for a year of cover.

Deadeye - on 20:21 Sun

The question you need to ask when considering insurance for remote, highish altitude, peaks is "what am I actually trying to insure the cost of?"

Are there any meaningful rescue services on Denali?

Lots of insurance imagines that there are expensive services that would be called into play when, in reality, there aren't.

Brokers can be useful in this regard

Damo on 23:12 Mon
In reply to Deadeye:

> The question you need to ask when considering insurance for remote, highish altitude, peaks is "what am I actually trying to insure the cost of?"

> Are there any meaningful rescue services on Denali?

That's a good question to ask for many areas. But in the case of Denali, in particular, there are experienced helicopter operations that can get climbers off above 4000m, and medics at 4000m. They may not even charge you, but...

The problem with any USA climbing accident is what happens when you get to hospital - that's where the costs start to rack up at an incredible rate. And then you need to get home.

veteye on 23:20 Mon
In reply to Damo:

> in the case of Denali, in particular, there are experienced helicopter operations that can get climbers off above 4000m, and medics at 4000m. 

The philosophy put across by the park service, and the guiding companies, is that self-rescue should be the order of the day. Certainly I can remember times in the past when helicopters of any sort could not get to rescue casualties.

markk on 05:24 Tue
In reply to chris687: Dog Tag will only cover Alaska if you take out additional/ separate 3rd party search and rescue cover from Global Rescue - so not much help in my experience.

Tom Briggs on 10:16 Tue

Try Travel and General.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.