InReach Mini Questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 12 Sep 2022

Hi all,

Couple of questions about Garmin Inreach Mini satellite messengers:

I will have two groups out in different parts of a remote area. These groups would ideally like to communicate with each other, with non-emergency messages.

Are the Inreaches able to message each other directly, or will they only message a mobile phone elsewhere which has cell signal? If its the latter, it would mean Group A has to message the mobile phone, and the mobile phone has to relay the message to Group B. Can a mobile phone message an Inreach?

Thanks in advance- I'm sure this information is available somewhere other than UKC!

John

George Ormerod 12 Sep 2022
In reply to JohnV:

InReaches have a specific email address to communicate between units. It is also free and no mobile phone has to be involved (though it does make it easier if you’re controlling your InReach via blue tooth; messaging from the mini on it’s own is possible, but tedious)

Rick Graham 12 Sep 2022
In reply to JohnV:

You can have three separate  preset messages that can be sent  between in reach minis for no additional charge to the monthly fee.

New, different/ typed in  messages are charged , about £1 each iirc. 

damowilk 13 Sep 2022
In reply to JohnV:

As stated above, you can communicate direct between Inreach device using their specific email address, but best not to rely on this for anything important as there can be a delay of up to hours. 

Clauso 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Rick Graham:

All InReach Mini subscription plans allow unlimited preset messages to a number - I don't know what the limit is - of predefined recipients.

Only 3 preset messages may be defined "All's well!"; "Gone to the boozer!"; "Surgical truss giving me mither."... etc. but an unlimited amount of these may be sent each month.

The message recipients may be specified as mobile numbers for SMS text messages and / or email addresses through the InReach website.

Preset message recpients are not restricted to owners of InReach devices: anybody with a mobile/email may receive them.

Clauso 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Clauso:

You can also configure the presets to post to your Twitter account...

As also stated, direct ad-hoc SMS is also possible. The fee varies depending on the subscription plan.

freeflyer 13 Sep 2022
In reply to JohnV:

> I'm sure this information is available somewhere other than UKC!

It is indeed

In addition to the helpful info posted above, you can find Garmin's version here:

Sending a message to an InReach device: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=o4sYSXP4LC8KhFNWJEVPI7

Message Charging FAQs https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=4DQEVs8psN4KdWnMfOSow6

StuDoig 14 Sep 2022
In reply to JohnV:

The inreaches will message each other if you set up as a contact in the unit.  Linking the device to Garmin Explore App on a smart phone makes it a far easier interface though as you use smart phone to type the message.  You can also message inreach to mobile phone and phone to inreach.  

One point to be wary of though is that they don't work like mobiles in that they have a "listening" period of only 10mins in an hr and if a message is sent outwidth this period they won't pick it up till the listening period restarts.  You can however manually check for messages at any point.  They will also not necessarily have view of a satellite and so there can be delays in message transmission until one passes overhead / in line of sight.

Cheers,

Stu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...