How to get started in alpine mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 upwego 11 Mar 2021

I want to do more mountaineering stuff towards alpine, what's a good club to join for that, most clubs I looked at are mainly climbing and hill walk. I am based in Southampton but also work in London so I was looking at London Mountaineering Club and Rockhoppers Mountaineering Club. Any recommendations?

tehmarks 11 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

If you're not yet ancient, there's only one correct answer: apply for the Conville Course in the first instance.

veteye 11 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

Years ago, I went on a beginner's course w Plas Y Brenin, which had us practicing in Wales on a couple of weekends, and then went for just over a week to Arolla in Switzerland. It was an ideal introduction, and was thoroughly enjoyed by me and my friend.

Jim Lancs 11 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

I always think that Austria is a good place to start in the Alps.

So if you want a UK based club with a focus on alpine mountaineering, how about the Austrian Alpine Club (UK)?

https://aacuk.org.uk/

crayefish 11 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

I think any decent mountaineering course will set you well on your way... after that you just need to go and do it!  I used Mile Arkley at Mountain and Sea Guides in Applecross.  One big advantage, aside from his extensive knowledge, was that it was based in Torrington so we had the mountains to ourselves.

Am sure you'd be very welcome at the London Mountianeering Club.  Despite moving abroad, I still remain a member.  Its got a good mix of meets, including Alpine and Scottish winter (as well as a few bolder expeditions), and it has its own hut in North Wales, which is handy.

Mouflon 12 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

I agree with Jim Lancs above that the Austrian Alpine Club is worth a look at.

Apart from being a good club to join, with mountain insurance, they have various courses at different levels.

Trangia 12 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

I agree with the advice to go on a course, and as for a club would also suggest the Austrian Alpine Club (British Branch).

However, I wouldn't write off the idea of joining a local club just because it seems to be mainly climbing and hill walking, because unless you are working in the Alps, most of your time is likely to be in the UK with just one or two holidays each year to the Alps, so what are you going to do for most of the year?  Climbing and walking in the UK is not only good training for Alpine climbing (particularly if you go winter climbing/walking in Scotland), is enjoyable and will help keep you fit. Many local club are BMC affiliated and have a varied yearly programme which includes UK climbing/walking and annual Alpine meets, sometimes arranged as small trips with other members

Rob Exile Ward 12 Mar 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

Another avenue (as well as, not instead of Conville) is the French UCPA, if that's still available to us after Brexit. My two youngest kids have both been on courses with them and had great times, and  and were looking forward to more until Covid struck.

Sean Kelly 12 Mar 2021
In reply to Mouflon:

> I agree with Jim Lancs above that the Austrian Alpine Club is worth a look at.

> Apart from being a good club to join, with mountain insurance, they have various courses at different levels.

And reduced fees for Alpine huts!

Mark Haward 13 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

I have no idea from your profile of your experience / skill set so hard to give much advice. I would recommend the Bruce Goodlad book 'Alpine Mountaineering' as a great start. Depending on your experience levels scrambling, long days linking easier rock routes and winter hillwalking / climbing is a great way of developing some alpine skills.

You may find a combination of a club / clubs, a course and some personal independent ( or with a mate ) learning works. Some people are entirely self taught, some people use guides every time they go alpine climbing. Either private guiding or a course is arguably the fastest way to develop enough knowledge and skills to kick start your alpine career. As someone mentioned, if you are eligible the Conville course is great, Austrian AC also have great courses. Then there are the various groups such as Icicle, Jagged Globe, ISM - all of which are superb. If you choose a guide then all the British Mountain Guides are great, I would especially recommend Ben Bradford | High Mountain Guides.

Whatever you choose to do have fun and see you out there...

OP upwego 15 Mar 2021

Thanks for all the reply, I am already part of a local club for normal climbing stuff. Just looking at a secondary club to join and the first thing that pops up on google search was Alpine Club which doesn't seem beginner friendly, so I will definitely have a look at Austrian Alpine Club (UK) instead.

I am in my mid 20s so I think the Conville course would be the way forward.

tehmarks 16 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

> I am in my mid 20s so I think the Conville course would be the way forward.

If you were interested in joining the Alpine Club, there's a good chance that you'd finish a Conville Course with enough to join as an aspirant - and almost certainly so if you hang around in Chamonix afterwards and get a few more routes in with your coursemates (or others). They seem quite good at 'aspirant development'; they have a programme of meets specifically for aspirant members, which I can only assume are focused on developing the skills and experience of aspirant members and pushing them towards full membership.

(I have no connection to the club, to clarify, beyond a filled application form that needs printing and sending off.)

Jasonic 17 Mar 2021
In reply to upwego:

I was lucky enough to do the conville course and was great- in any case a combination of taught skills with own adventures- usually some of the bigger clubs run a summer alpine meet.

AAC do subsidised courses also for young people;

https://aacuk.org.uk/x-austrian-training-alpine-skills

PeterBlackler 17 Mar 2021
In reply to Mark Haward:

Thanks Mark, great advice on this topic as always 

>> I would especially recommend Ben Bradford <<

Just a quick note that Ben is now "Vertical Frontiers" (https://verticalfrontiers.com/) and based in Chamonix itself

Post edited at 10:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...