hospital care in Krygystan and Khazakstan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Legon 31 Oct 2019

I'm traveling with my family next year, and these are two countries which we will be passing through. Does anyone have any first hand information on, (in the worst case scenario), what hospitals exist in these countries that can be accessed by tourists? Looking for specifics like names, locations, helipads, emergency departments, scanning facilities, surgical facilities etc. 

Any help will be much appreciated. 

Will

Heike 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Will Legon:

Hi, I can't give you any details on where to go for healthcare, but I can give you some advice.  We went on an expedition to Kyrgysztan and my husband got a very bad allergy / anaphylactic reaction whilst we were waiting for our helicopter to pick us up at the end - in the middle of nowhere (being delayed for days). I (and our pals) were worried he might die, but he didn't fortunately, my pal after a day or so was discussing how two to do a tracheotomy in case we needed to. As much as liked my friend I was not very keen on him doing such a thing without medical training....  We managed to keep him going and to get to the main town Bishkek and I was debating whether to get him to hospital (which did not look very inviting...or clean) in town or to fly back to the UK next morning.  I went for the latter , sitting over him all night and I am glad I did, he survived very well and got good treatment. A great number of people in this country are very poor and have very basic living conditions. It is a lovely country, very nice people, very nice countryside, great climbing, etc, but don't expect European style healthcare! 

Oh, and then he got TB as well. Kyrgysztan has got a very high rate of tuberculosis. He is ok now, but I wouldn't look for high end health care facilities in that country. I am going on expeditions with my husband and son now age 10, but funnily enough my hubby is very unkeen to go back to Kyrgysztan Although it has amazing climbing...IMHO

Oh, and I forgot, it was four of us on the trip and apart from me everyone got Giardia as well. Not to put you off, it is a nice place, just saying don't expect wonderful hospital / health care etc. And take your own precautions and medications

Post edited at 18:00
 EwanR 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Will Legon:

The only two places that have real hospitals in Kyrgyzstan are Bishkek and Osh. 

The US embassy has a good list of what's available in Bishkek at https://kg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/doctors/ 

Be aware that you'll be hard pressed to find english speakers - it seems that German is a more commonly taught foreign language there. Other than that it's Kyrgyz or Russian only.

Heike 31 Oct 2019
In reply to EwanR:

Yes, agree as I am German I got a few more words out of the locals...but still it is not that very widely spoken.

profitofdoom 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Will Legon:

Have you read the gov.uk advice for health in these 2 countries? Maybe they'll help a bit:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/kyrgyzstan/health

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/kazakhstan/health

pass and peak 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Will Legon:

it's what you'd expect from most of the Stan's! nothing going to happen quick and facilities you mentioning in your post probably not at all! Worth remembering that as usual money talks and usually cash, although increasingly debit/credit cards payments are accepted at hospitals etc. So My TOP advice is every member load up a credit card with the max credit possible before you go. If it all goes tits up your going to need that cash up front! Get receipts and try and claim it back later from your insurance. REMEMBER no insurance company has a guy at the hospital waving the hospital fees. On a positive note don't let this put you off, there great places with friendly people and a dam sight safer than getting lost and taking a wrong turn in say our capital city!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...