Help me find a short story about mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 brunoschull 12 Dec 2019

Hi.

This is a long shot, but many years ago (before I was a climber), I read an interesting story about mountain climbing, and I've always wanted to try to find it (now that climbing is part of my life).

The story was in a collection.  It was probably written in the early to mid 20th century, but I'm not sure.  I think the author was German or Austrian, and I read it in English translation, but again I'm not sure.  I feel like it was set in the European Alps.

The story describes a man who dreams of climbing a mountain.  He dreams, trains, and prepares, dreams, trains, and prepares, for a long time, perhaps many years.  Finally he feels ready.  He completes his training and preparation, makes his way to the mountain, and, the night before, while sleeping, dreams again of his goal.  

When he wakes up, he realizes that the actual climb will never live up to his dreams.  He has already climbed the mountain, an infinite number of times, and an infinite number of ways, in his mind.  

The man is satisfied, and he returns to his normal life.

That's the story.

Any ideas?  If I could find this I would be so excited!

Bruno

leon 1 12 Dec 2019
In reply to brunoschull: Sounds very similar to 'The Greatest Climber in the World ' by Bernard Amy in Games Climbers Play

Full Story

http://www.edhartouni.net/greatest-climber.html

Post edited at 17:25
 AdrianC 12 Dec 2019
In reply to brunoschull:

I think it's in Mirrors in the Cliffs. Hang on and I'll have a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...