Hardest mountain in lake louise ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey 

So I was wondering what the hardest mountain and most dangerous mountain is in lake louise banff area , because  I am going next year and want a proper challenge I am doing mount temple but I want to also do the hardest one there.

Any suggestions,

crayefish 25 Jan 2021
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

The Troll (grade X) is probably the hardest in the area.  But, for a real challenge, replace ice axes with chopsticks, and climb it backwards while posting on UKC.

In reply to crayefish:

Is it a long route I've never done a real rock climb before I want to do something like cuilin ridge 

SenzuBean 26 Jan 2021

After perusing your profile to gauge your experience, it looks like the most difficult route suited to your calibre is the infamous route called - 'Find a Parking Spot at Lake Louise During Peak Season'. It's extremely difficult, and should only be attempted by those who are both extremely brave, and extremely foolish. The number of buses, throngs of selfie-obsessed tourists and a surprisingly modest-sized carpark will leave you fighting the whole time. No doubt you'd get kudos from everyone for such a feat.

profitofdoom 26 Jan 2021

> Hey 

> So I was wondering what the hardest mountain and most dangerous mountain is in lake louise banff area.....

You really gave yourself away asking for "the most dangerous mountain" in an area. People with a genuine interest in climbing, hiking or scrambling would never, ever ask that

But of course you knew that, didn't you. So once again you prove yourself to just be having a laugh at UKC readers' expense, and to just be an enormous time waster for readers 

Please kindly amuse yourself in some other way, and please don't bother coming back this time and writing "Oh no, please, I really am genuinely interested this time, please help me, a poor beginner". It's getting increasingly tiresome

mcawle 26 Jan 2021
In reply to profitofdoom:

Almost like he wants to get banffed.

crayefish 26 Jan 2021
In reply to mcawle:

> Almost like he wants to get banffed.

It was suggested to a moderator, but he said he's having nunavut

Ian Parsons 26 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> It was suggested to a moderator, but he said he's having nunavut

You're thinking of Baffin; almost an anagram, but not quite!

crayefish 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Nope... its just very hard to think of local Canadian puns so had to stretch it nationally 😅

Ian Parsons 26 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

A'l bert u did!

[Sorry...]

crayefish 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Good one!  I knew Yu-kon do it

profitofdoom 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> A'l bert u did!

> [Sorry...]

British, Columbia-ering all over the Rockies....

profitofdoom 26 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> Good one!  I knew Yu-kon do it

These threads are a New Found Land to me

Ian Parsons 26 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Gosh; this is fun! Saskatchewan, anybody?

[A challenge, not a pun.]

John Ww 26 Jan 2021

I’ve got an excellent suggestion for you, but it got me banned last time you reared your sad little head. The original sentiment remains however...

In reply to profitofdoom:

Omg people like you are so annoying im actually serious because I want a challenge and I want to  do something hard what is so trolling about that im being serious i can see why you may think I am a troll . But I am just genuinely wondering what the hardest scramble is at the rockies and longest so please serious answers only

Post edited at 13:29
Gone for good 26 Jan 2021

Heres some reading for you. 

HELMCKEN FALLS
Helmcken Falls is often touted as the most difficult mixed rock and ice climb on Earth. The 200-meter terror offers jaggy overhangs and sometimes too thin layers of ice as you scramble toward the top. Getting there in itself is a task, as there’s no direct approach to the bottom. In fact, you have to hike your way around the back and to the top, then rappel down to the bottom to even attempt the route. A full-on first ascent requires to you climb through seven pitches, a feat only a handful have accomplished.

KANANASKIS
Kananaskis is easily one of the most popular ice climbing destinations in the Rockies. With over 4200 square kilometers to explore, it’s praised for both its ease of access and its incredible variety of beginner and advanced climbs. The region features several alpine summits over 11,000 feet in elevation, many of which are packed with frozen waterfalls waiting to be climbed. The area is also famous for its avalanches, making it one of the more dangerous options on the list. But climbs like Whiteman Falls and A Bridge Too Far are more than worth the risks.

BOW VALLEY
It’s arguable whether Bow Valley resides in the Kananaskis or just along the border, but it contains enough excellent ice climbing that we’re willing to consider it on its own merits. Bow Valley spans from Calgary to Lake Louise alongside the Trans-Canada Highway, and boasts some tough climbs like Louise Falls and the Bourgeau Left and Right. Grotto Canyon also boasts the WI6+ Mental Jewelry, along with popular options in His and Hers. If ice climbing Bow Valley has a downside, it’s only that so many people are doing it. The area holds so many routes that it’s constantly inundated with new and experienced climbers vying for spots.

YOHO
Yoho National Park is a short two-hour drive west of Calgary and offers some of the finest ice in Canada, let alone the Rockies. With fewer visitors than the other parks in the range, you’ll find that ice climbing here is a more relaxing endeavour. Of course, it still boasts some incredibly jaggy options like the famed “beer climbs.” Carlsberg Column, Guinness Gully and Pilsner Pillar also range between WI4 and WI6 and offer short walk-ins, so you can tackle all of them in one day. While the climbs in the region might be easier on average, the region also boasts a lot of snowfall and high avalanche danger, so come prepared.

ICEFIELDS PARKWAY
The aptly named Icefields Parkway is the crème de la crème of ice climbing in the Canadian Rockies. The region, a stretch of highway that runs 320 kilometers from Lake Louise to Jasper, boasts an impressive array of both classic ice lines and nearly insurmountable alpine summits. The icefields here, particularly the Columbia Icefield, are enormous blocks that feed the surrounding oceans. The Weeping Wall area of the Parkway contains two of the most prized ice climbs in Canada in Polar Circus the Lower Weeping. If you’re looking for an easy-to-reach spot to get your feet wet, or experience some truly difficult climbs, this is it.

They are undoubtedly far too difficult for you to attempt but it would be educational not to say entertaining to watch competent parties climb them.

Post edited at 14:47

How about taking a hike up Mt. Louis?

FamSender 26 Jan 2021

Have you looked at:

Running in the Shadows (VI AI5 M6, 2000m) on the Emperor Face of Mount Robson - the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies (3,954m).

Its like 3 hours away so your parents could take you there. Its certainly hard and dangerous so looks like what you are after

George Ormerod 26 Jan 2021

The hardest scramble is pretty subjective.  I could mention some low grade climbing routes that are often soloed, occasionally with tragic consequences, but I don't really want to send you off to kill yourself.  Your best bet would be to get Alan Kane's Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies and pick some stuff from there - starting with some easy stuff to get a measure of the grades and general shittyness of the rock.

In reply to John Stainforth:

> How about taking a hike up Mt. Louis?

Well, I suppose it was a casual hike for Conrad Kain!

Dark-Cloud 26 Jan 2021
In reply to George Ormerod:

He doesn't do guidebooks, this has been suggested to him on multiple occasions when he posted what scramble here, what scramble there, how hard is this, how hard is that blah blah, never took a blind bit of notice and kept asking inane questions which would have been covered in a guidebook, in short its a lost cause.

This latest question is yet another demonstration of how unwilling he is to even look at the basics himself first, asking what the "hardest" and most "dangerous" mountain is in an area inhabited by numerous 10,000 footers is just ridiculous.

Andy Hardy 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

In many ways the internet is a great thing, but I am seriously glad it wasn't invented when I was an adolescent twerp

tjdodd 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> In many ways the internet is a great thing, but I am seriously glad it wasn't invented when I was an adolescent twerp

Ah, but it will be there when you are a cantankerous, annoying old fart who has nothing better to do than pretend to be a clueless, annoying adolescent twerp.

Lankyman 26 Jan 2021

> Hey 

> So I was wondering what the hardest mountain and most dangerous mountain is in lake louise banff area , because  I am going next year and want a proper challenge I am doing mount temple but I want to also do the hardest one there.

> Any suggestions

I have conquered many dangerous peaks, crossed raging torrents and endured burning deserts. This is the wisdom I have learned:

Never start a sentence with So.

tjdodd 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> I have conquered many dangerous peaks, crossed raging torrents and endured burning deserts. This is the wisdom I have learned:

> Never start a sentence with So.

Is it ok to start a sentence with "Like, "?

Andy Hardy 26 Jan 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

> Ah, but it will be there when you are a cantankerous, annoying old fart who has nothing better to do than pretend to be a clueless, annoying adolescent twerp.

Jesus I hope I'm never that bored!

crayefish 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

And if one must start with so, possibly as a matter of life and death, then it should be followed by a comma.

Lankyman 26 Jan 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

> Is it ok to start a sentence with "Like, "?

After years of meditation in a remote monastery the lamas eventually beat this error out of me with the accompanying Tibetan admonishment of 'Forfuxake!'

Lankyman 26 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> And if one must start with so, possibly as a matter of life and death, then it should be followed by a comma.

Personally, I'd choose death.

The Super couloir on Deltaform sounds like a bit of a challenge, the Trinity gullies on Snowdon are probably not the best preparation though!

In reply to FamSender:

Thank you for actually answering me instead of all these people trolling me I will look into it

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Actually I do do guide books I have  a Scotland one and Steve Alston one but I prefer watching yt vids instead of reading and I ask on here for the extra info I need what the guide books don't include 

In reply to Gone for good:

Thank you, do you think I have a chance of being able to climb any of them or would it be completely stupid of me whats the mountain closest to matterhorn there ?

crayefish 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

So, you'd choose death? 

Gone for good 26 Jan 2021

Have a look at this day trip from Lake Louise. Get yourself fit, get some decent kit and hire a guide. It sounds like a challenging day out but not too technical. I strongly recommend you hire a guide. Do not attempt a solo ascent. Watch out for Bears and rockfall. 

https://www.outdoorproject.com/canada/alberta/mount-whyte-mount-niblock

Lankyman 26 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

> So, you'd choose death? 

Your punctuation has saved you.

crayefish 26 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Good pun(ctuation).

Doug 26 Jan 2021
 McHeath 26 Jan 2021

> whats the mountain closest to matterhorn there ?

As the crow flies, probably the most southeasterly one in the range. 

Post edited at 19:34
 phizz4 26 Jan 2021

Here you go.

Mt. Victoria (3464m or 11,362 ft.) by the S.E. Ridge. This is an enjoyable and exposed climb along a narrow ridge that can either be heavily snowed up with large cornices or can be a catwalk along ridge top ledges later in the season.

Source: https://yamnuska.com/mountaineering/intermediate-advanced-programs/lake-lou...

Now, that wasn't too hard, was it?

> whats the mountain closest to matterhorn there ?

Assiniboine - there's a 'scramble' route from the Columbia Valley side, but you will need a 4WD to access it.  From the East it's a 30km hike in to the hut.

There's a lot of information on Summit Post - search for Dow Williams, but take his descriptions with a pinch of salt.

Whats a 4wd?

I just had a look at it , it looks verry good but is it a climb from start to finish or is it mainly walking with a little climbing?

Also would you say it is around a British grade 3 ?

Is it difficult to get to from lake louise 

Edit 

I just looked at the guide price and why is it 3 grand am I reading that right 

Post edited at 23:16
 Donotello 26 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

> I’ve got an excellent suggestion for you, but it got me banned last time you reared your sad little head. The original sentiment remains however...

Isn’t it weird how climbers using a climbing forum, most likely with hundreds of pounds worth of Rockfax literature sat on our shelves can get banned for getting pissy with an online troll. I had to beg to be unbanned so I could finishing editing a new crag, for this very website 😅

In reply to Donotello:

Im not a troll 

tjdodd 26 Jan 2021

You will need transport to get around the Banff area.  Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore and surrounding areas are all pretty close by car.  Lake Louise is pretty central so a good place to be based.

Talk to Yamnuska guides.  They are a great company but not cheap.  If you are really lucky you might be guided by Barry Blanchard.

In reply to tjdodd:

Do you think I could do it for 1k ?

Also is it harder than matterhorn hornli ridge or easier 

are you on about Assiniboine North East ridge ?

I just found a scramble called Mount Edith cavel east ridge it looks pretty good whats it like ?

High clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle.  And it's a couple of hours drive from Lake Louise to the West side and maybe 1.5 hours to the east approach.  The N Ridge is YDS 5.5 (maybe Severe/HS) and the SW Face is 5.0, so maybe a Diff, but very exposed and on loose rock.

A good mapping resource is CalTopo - https://caltopo.com/ - so you can orientate yourself.

I have no idea about the price for a guide to take you up there.  Their day rate is usually about $500 CAD, and it would take at least 3 days, plus expenses, including helicopter into Assiniboine lodge.

> I just found a scramble called Mount Edith cavel east ridge it looks pretty good whats it like ?

It's not a scramble, it's AD- and 5.3, albeit on excellent Quartzite (unusual for the Rockies).  The climber's descent can be scrambled, but it is a long, long way to do out and back in a day.

What is it like compared to cuilin ridge?

Lankyman 27 Jan 2021

> What is it like compared to cuilin ridge?

Why? Have you done it?

Dark-Cloud 27 Jan 2021

Have you done the Cuillin ridge ? Not much point in asking if you haven't...

George Ormerod 27 Jan 2021

Sorry, I'm running out of energy for this.  I haven't done either Assiniboine or Edith Cavel, but I'm going off the guidebooks and experience of people I know; I've only done a small section of the Cullin Ridge - however there is no comparison due to the difference in rock (even the 'good' quartzite).

I suggest you join the Scrambling in the Canadian Rockies, 11,000's of the Canadian Rockies and Alpine Climbs in the Canadian Rockies Facebook Groups.  But please don't ask what the hardest or most dangerous mountain is unless you want a torrent of abuse. 

Post edited at 14:52
 John Ww 27 Jan 2021

I see you’re starting to get the hang of his/her sad little game.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...