Gran Paradiso NW face. Late March. Snow-shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcawle 28 Feb 2019

Hi,

Heading to Cogne for ice climbing approx. third week of March.

I'm wondering whether climbing the NW face of Gran Paradiso from Chabod is a feasible objective at this time.

I know it gets done using skis on the approach/descent even in the middle of winter, but our party doesn't ski.

I'm wondering whether undertaking approach/descent (and I guess potentially the walk up to the hut) in snow shoes is a feasible option, if the snow conditions were right.

I've climbed the normal route from Chabod in summer before, so I know the area.

Any thoughts/opinions?

chris bedford 01 Mar 2019
In reply to mcawle:

Snow shoes are great for routes where you don't abseil back to your start point - much lighter to carry up and over the top than skis. Did most of our initial (very easy) spring Alps trips with snow shoes, including the GP by the normal route from the VE hut. Actually found them to be quicker than most of the skiers going up (apart from the skimo teams training for the PDG) but it was on the descent that my wife and I looked at each other and realised we needed to learn to ski....

OP mcawle 01 Mar 2019
In reply to chris bedford:

Thanks! What time of year were you there?

Airtime! 01 Mar 2019
In reply to mcawle:

The face was really dry and predominantly grey ice last week. Worth keeping an eye on the weather and conditions over the next couple of weeks...

chris bedford 02 Mar 2019
In reply to mcawle:

> Thanks! What time of year were you there?

mid/early April most likely - we used Hilary Sharp's excellent guide to snow shoe routes in the Alps. Have since done the normal route on skis, and the NW face a few years ago in the wet / cold summer of 2014.

Webster 02 Mar 2019
In reply to mcawle:

Given this winter (or lack thereof), in late march you will be needing flip flops!

OP mcawle 02 Mar 2019
In reply to Airtime!

> The face was really dry and predominantly grey ice last week. Worth keeping an eye on the weather and conditions over the next couple of weeks...

Thank you!

OP mcawle 02 Mar 2019
In reply to chris bedford:

> mid/early April most likely - we used Hilary Sharp's excellent guide to snow shoe routes in the Alps. Have since done the normal route on skis, and the NW face a few years ago in the wet / cold summer of 2014.

Thanks!

OP mcawle 02 Mar 2019
In reply to Webster:

> Given this winter (or lack thereof), in late march you will be needing flip flops!

Don't worry - first bit of winter kit I ever owned 😅

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...