GPS for ski tours and cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Raitt 11 Apr 2020

I’m looking for a GPS that I would mostly use for UK cycling but could also load European ski touring maps onto for my occasional ski mountaineering trips. 
Any suggestions? 
Thanks

Rob Exile Ward 11 Apr 2020
In reply to James Raitt:

Why not just a smartphone? OS works OK on mine (not as good as it did, maybe the next release will be better!) and there's any number of ski apps.

beardy mike 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Have found battery life on phones a bit rubbish for ski touring with the cold. Mind you I have got a crappy smartphone which I'm sure doesn't help. Have come across Energizer phones which seem to have very long battery life, at least on paper... maybe that would be worth a look...

Bill Thomson 11 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Agree with Rob. It’s worth checking out the Viewranger app. It’s free, and excellent with good detail, so have a look.  Already has a lot of standard routes marked up. Really easy to add a route, just a couple of minutes. Options for sample times  to record you’re route real time as well; longer sample time, less battery use.  Depends what you want I guess. I take an ‘old’ phone, no SIM card, (Motorola G4, so still not bad!) for ‘emergency use’. I take it ski touring in N Norway / Sweden with routes already loaded. But I keep it switched off and the battery will last months like that. I used it in earnest a month ago. Was 6km from the hut, no tracks, low cloud / very flat light and flat terrain so virtually no features to help with compass bearing. Occasionally I switched on the phone and ViewRanger within about a minute had confirmed my precise location relative to my preset route, then switched it off again. Was pleased I was essentially on track each time, but it was very reassuring. Hardly any battery power used, and it was -10C.  Just in case I also carry a power bank. If you do like this, suggest look at Motorola moto G7 power. Got massive battery life. 

Dave Cundy 11 Apr 2020
In reply to James Raitt:

I use Locus Maps for cycle touring but i think you can use all sorts of maps with it.  I'll have a quick look for ski maps...

Edit:  yes, it has a specific map theme for skiing (hike/bike,  road and city also selectable).  That said, i can't see many dedicated winter sports maps in the Locus store.

Post edited at 23:44
 JuneBob 12 Apr 2020
In reply to James Raitt:

Smart phone works for me and if I'm going for a long tour (10hr+) I'll take a small power bank thing to recharge the phone. Switzerland and Norway have really good map apps. Couldn't find very good stuff in France or Italy, but got by. The tricky thing with touch screen smart phones is when it's snowing. Maybe there's a solution to prevent it going crazy, I haven't looked.

Post edited at 00:39
In reply to James Raitt:

for France the go to APP is iphigenie, its not free around 15 euros a year, but gives you the full maps with some ski routes on,  and you do 3d and add a overmap with slope angle on it.

vfree online guides to ski tours in the Ecrins area is https://www.ecrinscollective.com/guidebook/ski-touring

Post edited at 11:55
 Dark-Cloud 13 Apr 2020
In reply to James Raitt:

I have considered buying one of these to use as a GPS and a reserve hill phone, seem pretty good value and big battery too.

https://m.banggood.com/Ulefone-ARMOR-X6-IP68-IP69K-Waterproof-5_0-inch-4000...

PS BangGood isn’t ideal, I had a nightmare with them but several colleagues have had no issues, seems a bit of a lottery.

grwooster 13 Apr 2020
In reply to James Raitt:

Hi,

I use a garmin etrex 20 for alpine ski touring and find it really useful.  From the garmin website you can then download original ign maps for France at least which have the blue lined ski touring routes.  You can buy just the map ‘tiles’ you need,  not the cheapest but really good.

I find a dedicated gps better that a smart phone - weather proofing/replaceable battery/battery life/ gps signal/ more rugged and reliable.

Smart phones but also gps units have been shown to interfere with avalanche transiever signals, maybe just be careful which pocket either go in.

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...