GPS for scotland and alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Asher 18 Aug 2018

I'm a tad old school and always use map and compass but would like a fairly inexpensive GPS to use mainly in the alps and scotland.

Its primary role would be as a backup to get me out the poo in bad weather and I'd like use waypoints when walking in and out of routes to avoid particular areas.

As it will be used occasionally in the alps and scotland, I feel mapping isn't worth the expense but I'd like it to be lightweight with good battery life.

Recommendations will be appreciated, cheers

Post edited at 14:14
 nathan79 18 Aug 2018
In reply to Rick Asher:

Garmin etrex 10 (b&w screen) or Garmin etrex 20 (color screen plus other extras).

Both take AAs, plenty of battery life, robust and not much heavier than a mobile.

In reply to Rick Asher:

Viewranger on your cellphone plus a waterproof case and a reserve battery.   Cheaper and better than a stand alone GPS unless you are going out in winter conditions where you want something to use wearing gloves or its cold enough that the cellphone batteries may lose charge.  

In reply to Rick Asher:

+1 for using an app (Gaia GPS) on a smartphone in stead of a standalone gps. I'm more concerned about wet weather than the cold. If you keep the phone under your warm clothes and just take it out for occasional navigation, it will maintain battery for a few of days even at 30 below.

OP Rick Asher 18 Aug 2018
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

It will be used whilst wearing gloves and potentially rubbish weather so I'd rather not use a phone. I don't want to be messing around with touch screens in a whiteout

rj_townsend 19 Aug 2018
In reply to Rick Asher:

> It will be used whilst wearing gloves and potentially rubbish weather so I'd rather not use a phone. I don't want to be messing around with touch screens in a whiteout

Just get one of the dibber stylus things - you can do the screen without removing gloves then.

doz 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Rick Asher:

Garmin etrex 10 for cheap an cheerful - usually plenty on ebay

For Alps I like an altimeter/gps watch -  mainly use the altimeter and a compass but good to know you can potentially get a position if really blown it in a shite-out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...