Forgot to buy insurance before leaving UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fourfootthirty 16 Jul 2022

Hi climbers

As per title really. I forgot to buy climbing insurance before leaving the UK. As i understand it most insurers insist that you buy it before you leave and were something to happen I'm pretty sure they would check when you left.

So my question is am i too late or do some uk insurers allow you to buy it whilst already abroad? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? 

I'm in chamonix for a while yet and have a GHIC

Thanks

6'6''

JLS 16 Jul 2022
In reply to fourfootthirty:

I think you get immediate basic rescue cover if you join the Austrian Alpine Club online. Don’t think it covers normal travel issues like missed flights, lost bags or medical repatriation…

https://www.alpenverein.at/britannia/membership/Membership.php

edit: see item 4 in the T&Cs…

Post edited at 11:52

AAC is superb service with regard to rescue and repatriation but does not cover lost gear, cancelled flights etc. etc. Added bonus is it gives you discount on hut accommodation.

S Ramsay 16 Jul 2022

In the winter carre neige works without having to buy first in the UK, I would ask in tourist information if there is a summer equivalent, I thought there was but a 10 second Google didn't reveal it

James Malloch 16 Jul 2022

https://www.truetraveller.com/

These offer it subject to some conditions. Gives all the details when you start a quote.

pyrrho101 17 Jul 2022

Perhaps a stupid question, but have you tried phoning an insurer and explaining your situation? 

In reply to JLS:

Thankyou very much - have just purchased. This was exactly what i was looking for

In reply to James Malloch:

Thanks yes their site is good and does cover climbing but made no mention of rescue! 

In reply to pyrrho101:

Not a stupid question but no i haven't. For me it was a case of not knowing what's out there. I didn't really know where to start (and I've got better things to do 😉) so thought I'd ask some UKClimbers. Its mostly rescue cover that i need and AAC does seem to be really good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...