fleece/merino onesie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morts 02 Mar 2020

Hi there, 

I am after a bit of advice in terms of wearing one-piece inners.  I have been looking at the Icebreaker OneZone 200 suit and also a range of other similar brands who's got similar products in both merino or fleece. 

Has anyone in here got any first hand experience with certain models - or know of any products that does not necessarily cost £500+

I am a tall bloke so anything Chinese branded usually doesn't fit me

Thanks in advance

Morts

marsbar 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

Is this any good?  

https://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000088.pl?WD=undersuit&PN=kayaking-und...

It's not merino but I wasnt sure if you wanted fleece or merino?  

Post edited at 16:05
 LastBoyScout 02 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

Have you looked at dry suit liners for diving?

Dave Cundy 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

Plenty of one-piece fleece inners in caving shops.  Not sure if that's what you're after.  Try Inglesports in Ingleton, they have a  good website.

Damo 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

I always stayed away from them because they would be unlikely to fit sufficiently well.

Baselayers should be skin-tight to wick properly. In Icebreaker I take an XXL top and L bottoms, and onesies are seldom sized with such a difference. What fits on top is too loose on the bottom, or vice versa.

Also, how do you crap? Zips on onepiece suits were always a problem, and would be uncomfortable on a baselayer, and would have to match the mid and outer layers to avoid any accidents.

Balancing all these aspects is maybe possible if you have a very average body shape, lots of time to compare models and lots of money to get the right one, but I just can't see they're worth the effort and expense. A properly fitting top and bottom are more versatile and so better value for money.

Takein 04 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

I have a Rab Power Stretch Pro Bib and absolutely love it. Highly recommended.

Gone 04 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

Reed chillcheater have a very stretchy onesie.

OwenM 04 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

I have the Lomo undersuit for wearing under my dry suit. The fit is quite baggy which doesn't matter for it's intended use but if I were using it on it's own would soon bug me. Think webbed croch. On it's own it isn't windproof at all, it's actually made of quite cheap fleece. So it would need some sort of cover.

Will_P 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Morts:

Mons Royale, the Wanaka-based New Zealand brand, make two versions of the 'Monsie' - a full length arm and leg version with a hood, and a 3/4 length leg version without a hood. Both are 100% merino wool, but the latter is (I think) a lighter weight yarn, with a mesh upper back. Both also have the 'rainbow style' zippered seat for going number two (and for women). 

I've got both versions, and they're fantastic. TBH, I only use the full-length hooded version at home in Winter (changing straight into it when I get home from work - total luxury!); but I've used the lighter version backcountry skiing in Japan and New Zealand, and it's great. Warm, breathable, doesn't hold BO like most synthetics... highly recommended.

AlpacaOutdoor 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Morts:

Hey there Morts, 

Is it only one-piece inners you are looking for? If not, try out alpaca wool, you might like it more than merino

https://armsofandes.eu/collections/mens

Myfyr Tomos 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Morts:

Caving Supplies in Buxton do the Enduro Pile Undersuit. Love mine!!  Think they're about £60 now for the Mk4 but they last forever.

Tradical 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Morts:

As an ex caver - get a caving undersuit. Inglesport is a great business as is Tony at Starless River (he's a travelling salesman who visits all the caving regions regularly. 

https://starlessriver.com/shop/undersuits

If you want a second hand and muddy Adventure Verticale Powerstretch undersuit I can gladly flog it to you for a healthily reduced rate. Nothing worn out on it, just needs a wash. 

ed luke. 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Morts:

Hi Morts

I found this to be a chew to find last winter ahead of going to Baffin Island. In the end Mr Houlding lent me his 'Leotard' made by Berghaus. If these are commercially available then it's probably the best thing as it has been fully tested as this was his MK2. It never got cold enough on our trip to really need it but the advise is to wear a netted base layer (Brynje) under one of these and then everything else on top if you're going to seriously cold places. 

Good luck all I remember finding online was over priced Marino versions.

Have Fun, Ed.

EdS 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Morts:

Search for Union Suits - 

mcawle 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Morts:

Norrona do them for £139, although leg length is calf not full.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/baselayer/wool-one-piece-men/

Have never used that item myself but they are a solid brand. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...