family alps camping article in summit a few years back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d508934 30 Nov 2012
can anyone remember which issue of summit this was in? can't find it on bmc site. it was recommending various places to head to in the western alps as a family, activities, accommodation options etc

cheers to anyone that can help! think it was a couple of years ago.
altirando 30 Nov 2012
In reply to d508934: Can't remember the article but I would suggest the Lake Annecy area. Lots of fun peaks to climb on well constructed trails, paddle steamer ride on the lake, interesting town to explore, Chamonix near enough for a day visit to view the scenery. There is a campsite at the eastern end of the lake that offers studios as well as campsites, also has a restaurant. Name might be Lac Bleu. I also like the Champsaur area at the back of Gap. Big campsite Alpes Dauphine. Or Undiscovered Alps run family adventure holidays.
OP d508934 01 Dec 2012
In reply to altirando:

Cheers, will check it out. Other recommendations welcome!
In reply to d508934:

hi i have sent you mail

cheers
Alex Messenger, BMC 03 Dec 2012
In reply to d508934:

Hi

Email me at alex@thebmc.co.uk and we'll find it for you.

Cheers

Alex.
 Nigel Modern 14 Dec 2012
In reply to d508934: If you are looking for a small, quite quiet campsite with access to lake for canoes/dinghies let me know and I'll sort out what it was called. We scouted such a site in 2008 and plan to go there some time. Basic amenities only but in France that means pretty good and not massive noisy site.

My recollection is that it was on the east shore of the lake a few k south of Annecy. About 1.5hrs drive from Chamonix.
 Daysleeper 30 Dec 2012
In reply to d508934: Just to bump this topic a little, I'm plotting a family camping trip down that way in sumer 2013. Any advice gratefully received. Like a mix of activities as the kids are only 6 and 8 so climbing all the time would be a bit hard for them.

Thanks!

OP d508934 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern:

Thanks, but the little one is only 1, so really just need a spacious site with a good swimming pool. Paddle steamers on lake Annecy sound good but we're a few years off canoes.

On a related note, how do others manage baby bath time on a campsite? Any useful tips?
 sheeny 30 Dec 2012
In reply to d508934: with regards to bath time we used to wash ours in a cool box when they were small,we had to stop when they got to 16!
 Daysleeper 30 Dec 2012
In reply to d508934:
> (In reply to Nigel Modern)
> On a related note, how do others manage baby bath time on a campsite? Any useful tips?

Ours are a bit bigger now , but quite a few of the campsites we went to when they were younger (N France/ Loire , Holland) had separate children's shower/bathrooms. One in Holland was absolutely amazing, all done out with characters from Snow White and 7 Dwarfs, pint size showers and large basin type baths for tiny ones.
 peterd 30 Dec 2012
In reply to d508934:

We had a couple of idyllic family holidays, camping at Evolene in the Valais, about 10 years ago. The Swiss Franc/Sterling exchange rate was better then though.
In reply to d508934:

hi

happy new year all

I have emailed the original poster, and thought i would put some info on here as well

I live in the haute alpes, just outside the ecrins national park, this side
is amazing for climbing and other adventure sports, and great for all the
family,

lots of family friendly crags, will all grades, and lots of via ferratas
including ones aimed at little un's there are a few local lakes that are
used for swimming and playing, one with cafe great for a rest day and play
in the water,

there is a fairly family friendly walk up to the glacier (not on to it just
below it) that is done a lot by family groups

there is even a site where you can feed the marmots

some very good camp sites or local accommodation depending on what you are
looking for,

I have been living here part time for the last few years and will be going
full time from Feb this year,

If any one would like info or advice get in touch i am happy to help out if i can?

some good pics of the area on my face book page dream trails

or info on alpbase.com a family that run accommodation in the area

cheers Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...