Expedition insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JStearn 20 Dec 2018

Hi,

I am looking for advice regarding expedition insurance. I am in a bit of a difficult position as I have been travelling by bicycle since 2015 and climbing around Europe along the way. I am heading to the Caucasus and would like to find a company that will insure me. This is for alpine climbs in the Alps and high altitude climbing expeditions. I have contacted the BMC and they will not insure any trip that does not start in your home country and will also not allow me to renew the policy from abroad. I have had similar difficulty in finding travel insurance as companies will not insure cycle touring and have max policy lengths of 1 year. I found that French companies were far more prepared to insure me and would allow me to renew from abroad. Does anyone have any recommendations for an insurance company that will work in my situation?

Thanks,

James

auld al 20 Dec 2018
In reply to JStearn:

Try true traveller 

alexm198 20 Dec 2018
In reply to JStearn:

You could try talking to the Club Alpin Francais. They do a very reasonable worldwide mountaineering policy as a bolt-on to their annual membership (also good for reciprocal rights in huts, general rescue cover in the alps etc.)

I have no idea if they will have a problem with the policy starting from abroad, and you would probably need to drop into a CAF office to fill out some paperwork, but if you're in Europe/France anyway that might be OK.

OP JStearn 21 Dec 2018

For anybody in a similar position, I emailed the Club Alpine Francais and they can insure any nationality as long as you are a member. Policies are renewable online and can cover up to any altitude. 

Derry 21 Dec 2018
In reply to JStearn:

Global Rescue? I'm using them for an expedition next year and seem reasonable, if not a little confusing as to what they cover for each policy at first. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...