Everest on ch5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 03 Mar 2021

Is this a repeat? Going to record it now and watch at leisure. But why do they Insist on 'conquering' this peak? It might be a battle at times, it might kill you, it might be part of a country formerly invaded by tourists, but this use of language is so wrong. We only 'climb' the f*cking mountain!

leon 1 03 Mar 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly: Are you sure its on tonight ? It was certainly on last night on C5. I recorded it and haven't yet watched so cant comment

Post edited at 09:55
 Rob Parsons 03 Mar 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> ... But why do they Insist on 'conquering' this peak? ...

It's Channel 5. Wadda you expect?

tehmarks 03 Mar 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

My brother 'conquered Snowdon' a few years ago; let me ask him.

DancingOnRock 03 Mar 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It was on last night. Was a bit of a non event really. Just rehashed old stories and some opinions. Wasn’t really sure of the point of it. It’s been done a hundred times before. It felt like a repeat but wasn’t/isn’t. 

OP Sean Kelly 03 Mar 2021
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> It was on last night. Was a bit of a non event really. Just rehashed old stories and some opinions. Wasn’t really sure of the point of it. It’s been done a hundred times before. It felt like a repeat but wasn’t/isn’t. 

Totally agree with you summation but some nice photography. There was a brief view of the Coronation edition of the News Chronicle and a full page aerial panoramic image of Everest that is really stunning. Not sure who the photographer was, but certainly a plate camera required to achieve that.

louiswain 03 Mar 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

If anyone fancies a half-decent Everest fix, check out the documentary about the (totally insane) Slovak alpine-style attempt to repeat the Bonington route on the southwest face in 1988. It's a pay-job, but only a couple of quid to rent.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/everestthehardway

Martin W 03 Mar 2021
In reply to leon 1:

> Are you sure its on tonight ?

It's not on tonight, but for anyone who missed it 5Select (Five's equivalent of Channel 4's 4seven) is showing it on Sunday at 9pm.

At 7pm on Saturday BBC Four is showing the 2015 Timeshift documentary Battle for the Himalayas - The Fight to Film Everesthttps://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04z23k9

Iamgregp 04 Mar 2021
In reply to Martin W:

The Timeshift programme is really good, I'll watch that again, thanks for the heads up!

The Ch5 docco offered nothing new, but it's an easy enough watch and a nice opportunity to see some of the archive footage on TV again.  Albeit stuff that you've likely seen before. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...