Durrengrat - SW ridge Dirruhorn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 10 Aug 2022

Does anyone know anything about this? "Complicated" seems the usual description but not hard. Somehow appeals.

philipjardine 10 Aug 2022
In reply to MG:

I suspect its a load of Valais choss.  Happy to be corrected and told its perfect solid rock all the way.  I have done the NW ridge from a bivy on the west side of the Galenjoch

OP MG 10 Aug 2022
In reply to philipjardine

Quite possible I know! Has was it from the Galenjoch? Did you approach from Randa?

jon 11 Aug 2022
In reply to MG:

We approached the Galenjoch from the Bordier hutte. Easy in the dark. Then continued the Nadelgrat to the Nadelhorn. Is this to tick off just the Dirruhorn? Or are you going further?

OP MG 11 Aug 2022
In reply to jon:

And Hobarghorn, although no objection to continuing over Nadelhorn  to Mischabel hut. Trying to avoid crevassed glaciers as likely alone. All for next year but now re-enthused after COVID and a good summer this year.

Post edited at 10:28
 Pero 12 Aug 2022
In reply to MG:

The Dirruhorn from the Bordier is a long approach.  It's a good hour to and from the path to the Galenjoch.  Possible bivi if that's an option.  The route has one short abseil (possibly avoidable) and is by turns good scrambling and loose and horrible.  The last section (after the ab) is the best.  You will probably need crampons for the Hohberghorn.  The descent to the Mischabel is probably on the way out (rockfall danger). 

There's a bus service to Gasenried, from where you start.  And there is parking there.

There are a few options round there that are still in: Weissmies from Almageller; Lagginhorn S Ridge; and, the Zinalrothorn is still being guided.  Those are all soloable, I imagine. 

OP MG 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Pero:

> The Dirruhorn from the Bordier is a long approach.  It's a good hour to and from the path to the Galenjoch.  Possible bivi if that's an option.  The route has one short abseil (possibly avoidable) and is by turns good scrambling and loose and horrible.  The last section (after the ab) is the best.  You will probably need crampons for the Hohberghorn.  The descent to the Mischabel is probably on the way out (rockfall danger). 

> There's a bus service to Gasenried, from where you start.  And there is parking there.

Thanks - good info.

> There are a few options round there that are still in: Weissmies from Almageller; Lagginhorn S Ridge; and, the Zinalrothorn is still being guided.  Those are all soloable, I imagine. 

All good - but done at least once already!!

Alfrede 12 Aug 2022
In reply to MG: I have just arrived in Grachen for a couple of weeks, en route to the AC meet in Saas, and plan to do the Durrenhorn from Galenjoch at some point, though the first week will be spent recovering from a bout of Covid. Probably going to bivvy on the joch and solo the ridge to the Durrenhorn but not go on to the Hohbarghorn, though I might if I had a partner? I expect it to be long and loose but reputedly not too hard. A friend soloed down it last year after the Nadelgrat. The Bordier Hut is a bit of a detour and probably infested with nasty viruses to which I am naturally now paranoid! (I’ve had 2 vicious doses now.)

OP MG 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Alfrede:

Will be interested to hear how it goes. If you can wait until next  year, I d be happy to join you on the Hobarghorn! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...