Doug Scott Knighthood?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 22 Feb 2019

I think it is about time that the powers that be, whoever they are, recognise the contribution of Doug Scott within the field of mountaineering and give the guy a well deserved knighthood. His contribution over the years in so many ways has been immense. recognised by the lifetime achievement award of the Piolet d'Or. This is to say nothing of his charity work for Community Action Nepal. Besides he was one of the first British climbers to summit Everest, and by a new route at that!

ps. I must admit to having a snowball fight with him in Whalley Bridge  many years ago but this should not disqualify Doug!

Post edited at 19:42
Gone for good 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Absolutely spot on. A true legend of British climbing and a prolific worker for CAN helping to improve the lives of the mountain communities in various parts of Nepal. More information here.

https://www.canepal.org.uk/what-is-can

bouldery bits 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I heard a rumour that he crawled down the Ogre....

All jokes aside, the guy is very deserving of such recognition. 

jon 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

He wouldn't have a problem kneeling...

planetmarshall 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I think it is about time that the powers that be, whoever they are, recognise the contribution of Doug Scott within the field of mountaineering and give the guy a well deserved knighthood.

Have you nominated him?

https://www.gov.uk/honours

Rob Parsons 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Doug Scott is a fabulous and inspirational mountaineer who has shown the way for alpine-style climbing in the greater ranges. He has also done great internationalist philanthropic work in relation to his CAN charity. So: hats off to Mr Scott, who will be forever remembered by anybody with an interest in climbing.

However, a pox on both 'official honours', and aberrations such as the 'Piolet d'Or.' Such things have no relation to climbing as I both know and love the activity.

Post edited at 20:47
 toad 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

His support for the MoNC may be a stumbling block

Removed User 22 Feb 2019
In reply to toad:

MoNC? What's that?

alx 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> MoNC? What's that?

It’s when you get frightened half way through taking a dump and don’t think you can finish 

Post edited at 23:03
 toad 22 Feb 2019
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Motion of no confidence. Lots of threads at the time(couple of years ago

Mark Kemball 23 Feb 2019
In reply to toad:

> His support for the MoNC may be a stumbling block

Absolutely.

Damo 23 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Time: April/May, 1994, a few weeks short of Doug's 53rd birthday.

Place: A farmhouse outside Carlisle, Cumbria.

Setting: Doug's kitchen table.

Scene: I'm talking to Doug about Antarctic expeditions (he'd been to Vinson the year before) and the mail arrives. Sorts through... Opens one... Reads...

Doug: "Bloody hell..."

Me: "Bad news?"

Doug hands over letter, it's informing him he's been nominated for a CBE and asking if he will accept.

Me: "Wow, congratulations!" handing back letter.

Doug, taking letter: "It's bullshit, innit'."

Tosses letter over shoulder into corner. Goes back to cheese sandwich...

jon 23 Feb 2019
In reply to Damo:

Yes, doesn't strike me as someone who'd accept stuff like that.

Pedro50 23 Feb 2019
In reply to jon:

> Yes, doesn't strike me as someone who'd accept stuff like that.

And yet he did accept!

Damo 23 Feb 2019
In reply to jon:

> Yes, doesn't strike me as someone who'd accept stuff like that.

I think Doug is a mix of all sorts of attitudes and natures, like most of us, but he's been quite public within his field so is judged publicly, on just a few things, which will never be accurate over all.

I only started climbing in 1992 but even then in existing literature I remember Doug and Chris Bonington being positioned as these kind of opposites, Bonners the old school bit-posh Expedition Leader type climber with all the accompanying sniggers about professionalism and sponsors and favouritism etc, while Doug was the soul climber mystic who left all the old stuff behind, the anti-establishment Buddhist vegetarian climbing lightweight around the world with mates.

But in reality Bonington has done some great routes in alpine style, was actually a bloody good climber, and Doug's most famous success came on one of the biggest fixed-rope sieges of them all. And as for his politics, Mao hat firmly on, he's famous for saying "Democracy's no good if you have to vote on it, youth!".

But beyond that, him and Chris are good friends, have been for decades and would still go out climbing together 20 years after Everest SW face.

TobyA 23 Feb 2019
In reply to Damo:

I thought he had turned down a gong in the 70s post Ogre? 

I started climbing at the beginning of the 90s like you, and read just about every Himalayan book I could get through the library system. So Scott's name was big. But I don't really remember reading much about him climbing in the nearly 30 years I have been climbing. I remember reading he smashed up some bolts he found in Cautley Spout back in the 90s, so he obviously did still go out climbing, but does anyone know if Scott does still climb? I wondered if the development work in Nepal has been the main thing for him.

Pedro50 23 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> I thought he had turned down a gong in the 70s post Ogre? 

HEXHAM: THE HARD ROAD TO EVEREST Mountaineering talk by Doug Scott CBE

Although not awarded until 1994, so you may be correct

Post edited at 09:49
 Steve Clegg 23 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I thought he had turned down a gong in the 70s post Ogre?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/11/doug-scott-climbing-bravery-a...

There's a link to a Chris Brasher Observer article at the bottom of the Guardian piece.

Steve

Steve Clegg 23 Feb 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

To clarify the awarding of the CBE.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/doug-scott-ego-trips

Steve

Damo 23 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

>... but does anyone know if Scott does still climb? I wondered if the development work in Nepal has been the main thing for him.

His last climbing expedition to Nepal was 1998, to Drohmo and nearby peaks in Eastern Nepal. I know he had problems with his knees, and yes, the CAN porter programs took off.

Tom Last 23 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Terrific climber and a kind and generous person. Wholeheartedly agree. 

yorkshire_lad2 24 Feb 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I'm sure it would be very deserved, but as someone else said "a pox on ... 'official honours'".  It's about time honours these stopped.  There are plenty of good people who achieve great things, but the honours system has had its time, and too many people in pursuit of glory are devaluing in.  But it'll never get shut down because some people near the top of the pile who are in a position to shut it down are too keen to get their own gongs very shortly so won't step up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...