Dolomites peak ID

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Lopez 07 Aug 2019

Anyone by any chance recognises what these moutains in the background are? https://i.ibb.co/f13s4Ld/Capture.jpg

beardy mike 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Did you take the photo and if so where were you?

cb294 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Just a wild guess, Heiligkreuzkofel/Sass del Crusc and the west side of the Fanes group, seen from the West, looking across Alta Badia?

CB

beardy mike 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I think this is Sas Ciampac near the Gardena Pass. The one on the right would be Sasshonger and Grand and Piccolo Cir would be just out of view to the left. I think I can just about make out the ramp line of the Adang in the midle of the face to the left of the pinnacle. Buggered if I know exactly where it's taken from though...

OP Mr Lopez 07 Aug 2019

In reply to:

Thanks guys, I'll follow up on those suggestions when i get back on my computer.

> Did you take the photo and if so where were you?

No, I didn't take the pic, in fact what I'm trying to work out is where it was taken from. Will have another play on Google earth

OP Mr Lopez 07 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

You are right! It is Sassongher on the right and the pic seems to be taken from point 46°32'24"N 11°50'43"E on Google earth looking NNE.

Awesome, thanks for the help both of you

beardy mike 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Well it will be something at the top of the Gardena pass on the southern side, i.e. northern edge of the Sella Massif. Something around Sass dla Luesa...

beardy mike 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Or maybe Torre Brunico/Torre Bornech

beardy mike 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

In fact likely to be somewhere on this route as you can see a pillar at about half height on the topo. Looking at the maps the road kind of fits with the view aswell.

https://www.sentres.com/it/vie-di-arrampicata/torre-brunico-via-ziglauer-sp...

jcw 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I think it is I Piza Cuecena which I did in 2009. You descend quite a bit by the track from the Grödner Joch (if I'm right the photo was taken from a peak nearer the Joch) and scramble up to the foot of it and the route starts on a cleft on very grotty rock. It improved however and the climb up to the first summit included an interesting crux. A very exposed crossing of the flakes and scramble to the main summit (route book). Two abseils, very airy,  down  the face that can be seen on the right, followed by an unpleasant scrambly descent in the gully back to the start. 6 pitches IV, but rather more serious than we had anticipated.

Post edited at 18:40
OP Mr Lopez 07 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Definitely from around those coordinates. The pillar and gully are pretty obvious, and the photo is a screenshot off a video made of aerial footage in which everything matches with the features on Google Earth.

Not sure what the mountain is called but the location is enough to start collating info

JLS 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

i expect the picture is taken from the main path in val di mezdi which leads deep into the Sella massive. I was on holiday there a couple of weeks ago. Walked up Sassongher. I’ve often pondered what grade those foreground towers go at and if there is an equipped ab route...

Edit: 46°31'41"N 11°50'09"E

Post edited at 20:05
 jcw 07 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

Confirmed. I've just googled it, and the photo is unmistakable:,the S Ridge

jcw 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

... What the mountain is. Well I've gone to some trouble to give you the answer so perhaps you'd like to acknowledge to clear up at least for others, or at least say if you still prefer the vague speculations

JLS 08 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

It’s Sass Di Ciampac (mid frame) and Sassonger on the right. I think the mountain you refer to is just out of shot further to the West (left).

jcw 08 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

What makes you so sure? I recognized it straight away as Cuechena which I've actually climbed and looked it up on google and there is a photo of it which matches taken from a slightly different angle

jcw 08 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS

Furthermore, I've climbed Sass Ciampac Old south Face in 2003, I thought the name was familiar, and that ain't it.

JLS 08 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

Look harder. You can actually pick out the left to right ramp line of “Old South Face”.  

Clue: it’s one of the bits highlighted by sunlight.

Post edited at 16:37
 JLS 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Is the still from a wingsuit flying video? Does he/she pass behind the tower?

jcw 08 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

i don't think we can be talking about the same photo.  Have no doubts about my Cuecena which is in the Cyr gruppe and on the descent to Wolkenstein  and nothing to with Sass Ciampac in a completely different place. No point in going on with the discussion which was meant to help Mr Lopez who seems to have lost interest

beardy mike 08 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

Sorry, I completely agree with JLS, I’ve looked at Ciampac plenty and Sasshonger every couple of months and I’m pretty certain that’s it. The roads in the picture match and if you look on Google Earth the shapes of the mountains from the southern side of the valley match. I know you are sure, but so am I... besides which, what you are saying is that it’s Cuecena which is only slightly to the left of where we are talking about. Literally the next peak along...

Post edited at 19:24
 jcw 08 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Cuecena is not the next peak along. And even if it were that is Cuecena, the form and everything agrees with my topo.

JLS 08 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

I’ve been referring to the picture in the OP’s link. Sorry if we’ve been at cross purposes. Have you got Google Earth on you machine? It’s well worth installing. It will let you zoom/fly all around those mountains in 3D in quite a lot of detail.

jcw 08 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

I prefer to climb them!!

beardy mike 08 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

This is Sass da Ciampac, the peak in the centre of the photo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bz5zDr1PpHg/TI4NnNdw0LI/AAAAAAAAAVw/EjjbOJDsUY8/s...

Here is a photo taken from Cima Pisciadu:

http://www.clubaquilerampanti.it/images/Ferrata%20Tridentina/m5.jpg

This is Cuecena, OK, it's the other side of Grand and Piccolo Cir on the other side of the Gardena Pass, and the peak in the foreground of the picture in the OP is quite clearly not the same as the picture I've posted below - please correct me if it's not the peak in the foreground you are talking about?

https://www.sentres.com/it/vie-di-arrampicata/i-piza-cuecena-spigolo-sud

I can see why you think that the two peaks look similar, but take a look at Ciampac, then look at open street and the orientation of the roads, the orientation of Sass Ciampac, it all matches.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/46.5528/11.8398

Now take the photo of Cuecena, the orientation to match the foreground would have to be from the south to southeast looking Northwest. Northwest of Cuecena is Langental, which looks a bit like this (admitedly this is from the northern end but the valley is extremely distinctive), in addition to which there are no roads or towns in Langental:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1012/5179061759_ff89ab923f_b.jpg

That is not Langental behind the peak you are talking about. Maybe you have some photos of Cuecena to help yuor arguement?

Post edited at 21:46
 beardy mike 08 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

PS the saliant feature which for me makes this absolutely clear is the big curving rampline in the middle of Ciampac's face which appears in the close up, the pic from Cima Pisciadu, and is sunlit in the middle of the OP's photo.

jcw 08 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Hi Beardy this is fun. This is what UKC should be about, no like dislikes. However for the moment I've had to take my one operational lens out and I've lost the sight in the other eye, but I'm not gaga, and the Cuecena which I did when I was 75, was the same year as  did old man of Stoer. So I'll have to wait till tomorrow midday before I can look properly at what you've sent. The guide book we used was the one with the Salame on the cover which I did in a storm. My impression of the topo of the Cuecena is that it s frontal while the photo is of a much truer aspect, as is the photo which I found when I googled it. So we'll have to wait. In the meantime why don't you take a flight around the Cuecena and provide me some photos of the miracles of modern science which prove that from an armchair you can tell someone  who has actually climbed both routes has a better perspective than the man on the ground. 

beardy mike 09 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

How about before you write a response like that you first inspect what I’ve sent you? I live two valleys away from the area and whilst I understand that doesn’t give me exclusive rights to knowing stuff, it does mean i know the ground reasonably well. Yes, the photo of cuecena is from the south what with it being the south ridge. I know whats behind it because I did both the adang on cimpac and i droc in langental whilt I lived in valgardena a few years ago. 

Post edited at 05:59
OP Mr Lopez 09 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

I'm around in Europe living out of my car and can only really go online when not up in the mountains and can hit a cafe with WiFi, so apologies if it seems I'm ignoring this thread.

Haven't gotten decent connection to take online yet and couldn't find Italian maps, but it isn't cuecena. The spires are just above this  Cra da la Miri#maps and the closest mountain name which is farther down the plateau is boeseekofel. There will be named peaks and spires closer in, but that will be one for when getting an actual map when I get to the badia area.

Cheers

OP Mr Lopez 09 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Ps. The still shot is taken from this video, of the first few lines  vimeo.com/322929674

Now if anyone can id the the finned ridge towards the end... Ha ha.

jcw 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm a great admirer of both your gallery and climbing record. All I can say is Cuecena looks exactly like that twin peaked summit with that little sharp rdge between and the features at the start,,as too a photo when I googled it. No matter, it was just a not very good little climb for my old age, a pêchée de vieillesse as  I began sadly  to come to terms with the fact that there would no longer be any big routes for me in my favorite stomping ground. 

jcw 09 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Hi. The difference between you and me is that you are opinionated and frequently wrong whereas I am opinionated and always right. I have looked at what you sent but it did not really convince me but now I have seen that video I can see that the single photo is really only a small part of the bigger mountain, whereas before it seemed an isolated peak which I never remember seeing when doing the Ciampac. In fact where is it exactly, is it something one avoids over on the left and never notices until high up? So I give you best! 

beardy mike 09 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw: Haha, I am opinionated but recognise I can be wrong. However on this occasion, I have been preparing an extra large pie of the humble variety. I sharpened the cutlery and added some strawberries and cream for you too I sent the photo to my friend who is a local guide and he has confirmed that it is indeed Ciampac and Sasshonger in the background, and that the peak in the foreground is Campanile Alto de Mesdi. How would you like it? Cold, or warm?

jcw 09 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Served up with pizza cuecena

beardy mike 09 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

Is that one with Endive on it for an extra bitter aftertaste?

OP Mr Lopez 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Ha, ha. i wasn't expecting this to turn into an argument. Chill out boys, here's the definite answer.

Pic taken from the red dot and the view is the one framed within the lines. Thanks a lot for all the effort

https://i.imgur.com/o6slF6Z.jpg

Post edited at 17:46
 JLS 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

What effort?  

Are you intending to jump of a cliff?

OP Mr Lopez 10 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

Maybe. Still collating info, but it looks like an awesome place to spend a few days/weeks to combine climbing and flying and i'm meeting a few friends around there so keeping my options open

JLS 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Yeah, it’s a great place. I’ve regularly been going on holiday to Colfosco for a while now.

jcw 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

So why did you chose that particular photo for identification. What was so special about it?

OP Mr Lopez 11 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

It was just the only section with identifiable mountains visible in the background that I didn't know where it was.

The spires, gully lines and  rock architecture look pretty unique

Post edited at 12:56
OP Mr Lopez 11 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

Sweet. It looks beautiful, can't wait to visit

beardy mike 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Haha - well honour and glory were at stake Hope you have a good time. There's lots to do here - but also as you are into big things, don't neglect the south - the mountains are actually bigger and crazier and there is a stack load of type two-three fun to be had. Marmolada, Civetta, Monte Agner, Pale di San Lucano, stuff people neglect (well maybe not Marmolada...)

jon 11 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

So is the big couloir the famous Val Mesdi?

jcw 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez Beardy Mike JLS:

Now precise location has been settled  between you all is it possible to show the feature clearly on a good photo of the mountain so that someone not in a wing suit or  flying with google earth can see it when climbing (eg  the first one Beardy Mike posted when trying to convince me)?

Ps and if you don't know it add the Brenta to your list

Post edited at 17:36
 jcw 11 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

Many thanks. But sorry, where on it is the feature all the discussion is about? I have serious eye problems but I can't see where you have marked it on the photo. 

beardy mike 11 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

I think this is a case of crossed wires. That's Ciampac. Campanile Alto di Mesdi is not in that photo and I haven't found anything that shows it clearly. It is however in the new Benardi guide book, so I will pop to the local shop and see if they have a copy to see if the photo topo is any good. It describes one route called Emma and Anna. We should have an Autumn UKDating Dolomites meet specifically to climb it...

JLS 11 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

I’ve uploaded a mark-up of the OP’s to my gallery. I’ll post a link once the photo has been approved by Ukc.

beardy mike 11 Aug 2019
In reply to jon:

It's kind of hard to tell as it's only as few seconds you see it, but I suspect it is. Val Mezdi is a fantastic ski, although there are lots of others equally as good and less crowded...

JLS 11 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

I

> “We should have an Autumn UKDating Dolomites meet specifically to climb”

i joined your Dolomites Facebook page with a view to maybe finding a partner on for some climbing. In the end just did some VF with the Mrs, cycling and a tired myself out in the nice new Corvara wall. Small but perfectly formed.  

JLS 11 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Definitely Val Mezdi. Walked up Piz Boe that way one year...

beardy mike 11 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

Fair enough - generally when I'm coming down Val Mesdi I'm looking down rather than right - just tends to be the way you look when you're skiing so not noticed it before. Will get around to posting some more stuff soon as I've been out lots - just not getting the time to sit down and wriete as we have lots of people coming and going!

Post edited at 22:51
 jcw 12 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

Sorry you keep putting up pictures that don't reply to my request. If you are so certain that feature of a tower in the foreground is on the Sass Ciampac as  everyone has asserted supposedly with locational data, will you please show this feature, this feature not something else on a proper picture of the face. If you can't do so please say so. I thought it was so straightforward. 

Post edited at 21:38
 JLS 12 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

Ah now it becomes clear! The OP’s question was, what’s in the BACKGROUND!

That’s why i’ve been posting stuff relating to the BACKGROUND and not the foreground!

Post edited at 22:38
 beardy mike 13 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

I believe this is it to the left of the valley entrance from a different angle. The base jumper flies down the main valley before going between the tower and the wall behind.

https://images.app.goo.gl/evVA13XDmZuQWik37

Heres the same feature on the right from higher up the valley

https://images.app.goo.gl/s4cbMu5VCmjUR4zF8

Post edited at 07:07
 jcw 13 Aug 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

Well done, that first picture looks very much like it. And it looks a lot more exciting than Cuecena. New route potential? 

beardy mike 13 Aug 2019
In reply to jcw:

I’m sure. As I say there’s one route listed in the new bernardi guide. But as ever in the Dolomites, usually a load of routes are done but not reported...

OP Mr Lopez 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Thought I'd update you all on this since you guys were quite helpful. Found it and went up yesterday. The main named peak and the one the flight starts is piz da lech.

Climbed up along a via Ferrata line which though it was easy climbing it was quite enjoyable, good rock and the odd exposed positions to spice it up a little. Then I had a beautiful flight down to the valley after loitering around the summit for a few hours enjoying the views while waiting for the sun to come around and get the thermals going.

Thanks again for the help, this area is outstanding!

Post edited at 15:04
 beardy mike 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

You should jump off Marmolada if that’s your bag...

JLS 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...