dollies paragliders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to paul mitchell:

Saw a lot of them around pordoi/pizz boe, when out for via Ferrata a few years ago. Looked absolutely magical, and a lot less exertion than walking up hill. There seemed to be hundreds out, and was inspiring and mesmerizing to watch.

Removed User 16 Nov 2018

Wonderful. There are some pretty mesmerising paragliding vids on youtube. Out of all of the mountaineering related pursuits that I haven't done to any significant degree/at all it's by far the one I'd most love to do. I'd promised myself an introductory flight and course in the Pyrenees recently but I ran out of time. There must be a few people on here who fly. 

Guy 16 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Used to fly but the weather is fickle in this country so ended up drifting away and doing other sports.  I did have some amazing cross country flights especially in Switzerland.  The best being from Fiesch to Andermat arriving over the town with 7000ft to burn (big spiral dive!). Gliding over the Fischer Glacier was jaw dropping.  I do miss it.

freeflyer 17 Nov 2018

> it's by far the one I'd most love to do. 

Do it PM welcome.

Removed User 17 Nov 2018
In reply to freeflyer:

Thanks muchly, I will take you up on that, probably later through the week

Adam Hill 19 Nov 2018

Here's one of my favourite vid's of flying out there.

youtube.com/watch?v=LLgbWMPI5l0&

Paragliding is a great way of exploring.

Most of the world's mountain ranges have been traversed by paraglider on multi week "Vol Biv" flights.

Dogwatch 19 Nov 2018

> There must be a few people on here who fly.

Yes. Training to fly independently (Club Pilot rating in the UK) takes significant time, money and dedication. Most days in the UK are not suitable for training and many people learn abroad, the problem with that being that they come back to very different UK conditions versus what they trained for. Far more paragliding friends have got hurt versus climbing. The Dolomites is a notoriously risky area to fly. I love it, it is fantastic but needs to be taken seriously if you aspire to fly solo in mountain areas. 

Guy 19 Nov 2018
 Dave Todd 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Adam Hill:

Wow!  Great video - that's the first video I've seen that really captures how it used to feel to fly!  I presume the camera must be hanging down from the trailing edge?  Fascinating to think how you'd launch your wing with this set-up - maybe the camera is somehow tethered up to the training edge at launch time, but can be released during flight.  I can imagine many things to go wrong!  Anyone know how it's done?

I flew paragliders for about 7 years, but stopped when children came along (about 12 years ago).  A very magical experience!  All my best flying memories are from cross-country flights abroad (Alps, Spain, Greece), it's hard to fly in the UK - takes more time that I ever had!

I'd certainly recommend trying it to anyone.  It's an amazing sensation - walking off a steep hill and going up...!

Edit - just reading the YouTube comments - 'Chase cam and gimbal' seems to be the method - eek!

Post edited at 13:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...