Diamox and kidney disease.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john spence 08 May 2019

Any medics on here who can offer info on taking Diamox  with chronic kidney disease,(specifically nephrocalcinosis)  Thanks.

Andy 1902 08 May 2019
In reply to john spence:

Not a medic so take my advice with a pinch of salt, I seem to remember no for a just in case scenario but ok for emergency use. Try emailing this person if you don't get any other good advice dh@hillebrandt.org.uk

OP john spence 08 May 2019
In reply to Andy 1902:

Thanks Andy.

Laurie Molloy 09 May 2019
In reply to john spence:

It's all pretty complex renal stuff, and acetazolamide isn't widely used or understood by most doctors (including myself).

I would treat any advice on here carefully, and would get some advice from a renal doctor ideally. Acetazolamide increases your risk of kidney stones and there are reported cases of acetazolamide induced nephrocalcinosis. The dose also has to be adjusted to your kidney function, and can't be used if it's below a certain limit. Doesn't mean it can't be used but definitely needs to be used with caution, possibly trialling it's use in England and seeing if it affects your kidneys before you start taking it somewhere remote. 

OP john spence 09 May 2019
In reply to Laurie Molloy:

Thanks Laurie. Just seen GP this morning, she is contacting renal consultant for info. Good suggestion about trialling before the trip. Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...