/ Conscrits approach - warning for the uninitiated

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
teh_mark 11 Jul 2019

Though I doubt most people will be as idiotic as we were, I thought it'd be worth a post to stop anyone else walking in to the Conscrits hut for the first time learning the hard way.

Above the Tre-la-Tete refuge, the new high path to the hut is not signposted at all. If you take the main path from the hut, in about five minutes you'll come to a signpost for the Tre-la-Tete Glacier and the Conscrits hut, at a sharp right switchback along a short slabby bit of rock. Do not take this path but instead continue straight ahead along the unsigned path, following spray-painted blue dots on rocks and cairns. Alternatively immediately above the Tre-la-Tete theres a faint path breaking off left, which also takes you in the correct direction and rejoins the main path a bit higher.

The signed path is the old path via the glacier, and is infeasible. It's also relatively easy in poor visibility and a blasé attitude to nav to convince yourself you're going the right way due to the frequent cairns. The path ends at an improbable but possible-looking gully with some signs of footfall. If you have gone wrong and find yourself here, backtrack and take the correct path. Do not be tempted to take the gully - it is loose beyond belief and incredibly dangerous. The only positive to it that it does eventually intersect the path and doesn't end in an impasse - but you'd be lucky to make it up without having a serious accident.

Just a friendly warning for any fellow idiots

flour 12 Jul 2019
In reply to teh_mark:

Please edit your first paragraph to remove offensive language.

Thanks

teh_mark 12 Jul 2019
In reply to teh_mark:

My apologies; I've clearly been hanging out with too many serving and ex-serving people recently. I can't edit it though, so I suppose it'll have to stay as it is.

flour 12 Jul 2019
In reply to teh_mark:

Thank you.

In reply to teh_mark:

I've edited it. Cheers.

summo 13 Jul 2019
In reply to teh_mark:

>  with some signs of footfall. 

Much like in caving, dead ends and wrong turns get walked again in retreat and can often look more worn than the correct choice. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.