Chamonix - Zermatt haute route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PMG 27 Jul 2019

Does anybody know what the current conditions on glaciers along the Chamonix- Zermatt Haute Route are? We plan to do it in early August. A friend in Chamonix told us today that general conditions are unfavourable due to high temperatures implying that some parts of the route may be hard to pass (no snow, loose material). 

gustl 27 Jul 2019
In reply to PMG:

I did it on skies in spring a few years back.

This must be a very very long walk without skies.

With high temperatures, thunderstorms, crevasses, loose rock, ... it seems to be quite dangerous and enduring.

Sorry that is not really the answer to your question.

Post edited at 21:12
 Pero 28 Jul 2019
In reply to PMG:

You could keep an eye on this.  It says a little bit about the Haute Route, but not much.

http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/ac2/news/chamonix-condtions

You could also ring the Chamonix Guides Office.  Although, in my experience, they tend to err on the side of caution.

Smythson 28 Jul 2019
In reply to PMG:

Just got back from Cham and everything was very dry. 

You can contact the guide office directly for more detail on your proposed route

https://www.chamoniarde.com/en/

In reply to PMG:

There was a report of some part having suffered major rockfall a few months ago. 

jon 28 Jul 2019
In reply to PMG:

I can't comment on current conditions, however it's worth noting that normally in very dry conditions it's always safer to avoid the classic Valsorey version as the section between the hut and the Plateau du Couloir is so exposed to rockfall. To avoid this, take a bus to Mauvoisin instead of Bourg St Pierre and walk up the true right bank of the lake to get to Chanrion. It's actually a beautiful walk and you'll see loads of wildlife.

OP PMG 28 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon:

Good idea. We called Valsorey today, and the guardian said that the section is still walkable.

We have also called mountain rescue in Chamonix. They see no significant obstacles on Haute Route.

We decided to be flexible, ready to change our plans.

jon 10 Aug 2019
In reply to PMG:

Don't know if you're already on your way, but this might interest you: https://m.lematin.ch/articles/11133823 The site of the accident is a bit vague, but as I said above, in my experience the Valsorey side of the Combin becomes incredibly dangerous after long periods of hot weather and is best avoided. 

philipjardine 12 Aug 2019
In reply to jon:

The fatalities were on the Meitin ridge.  Very loose at the best of times but your last line is spot on.

jon 12 Aug 2019
In reply to philipjardine:

OK, thanks. Originally they simply said it was above the Valsorey hut. They bizarrely added that it was on the Swiss side of the mountain - which is a strange statement given that the mountain is wholly in Switzerland! Then that it was below the col de Meitin. Now it appears they must have revised it again, if it was on the ridge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...