Carriage of ice-axes and crampons on Eurostar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pdone 21 Oct 2019

Has anyone had any problems taking ice-axes, crampons and ice-screws inside their carry-on luggage on Eurostar recently?

leon 1 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud: Or.....  if you go to the 3rd last post on that link- You could take them     

Post edited at 12:21
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2019
In reply to leon 1:

From here:

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/sports-a...

If you’re travelling with any of these items, you’ll need to contact Eurodespatch, our registered luggage service: ice axes and other climbing and mountaineering equipment, javelins, spears and spear guns, crossbows, crossbow bolts, longbows, longbow arrows and starting pistols, swords or starting pistols. Keep in mind that these are all subject to approval and security checks.

Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2019

In reply to leon 1:

Never used it, just highlighting some older posts for the OP.

GerM 21 Oct 2019
In reply to pdone:

Went on the direct snow train from London to Bourg St Maurice last winter with ski and mountaineering equipment including some pointy stuff like ice axe and crampons, carefully andconsiderately packed. The only thing questioned was whether my little bottle of irn bru might contain alcohol, no one said a word about any of the gear, although policy suggested it may not be cool.

OP pdone 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks for your reply.  It confirms my fears.  It's a pity they don't let you deposit them with the train staff who could lock them away for the journey.

JayPee630 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I started that, and eventually it was all fine. UK end just checked, French end didn't care.

Removed User 22 Oct 2019
In reply to pdone:

I took axes, crampons etc. on the London - Paris Eurostar this September with no problem as standard hand baggage (axes were inside my pack)

Didn't know about the restrictions.

johnboybuchan 23 Oct 2019
In reply to pdone:

How about dismantling everything and taping anything remotely pointy in bubble wrap and garner tape?

anyone tried that?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...