Bolts and Ladders on K2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iamgregp 26 Jul 2019

A team from Imagine Nepal, led by Mingma Gyalje Sherpa, who has scaled Everest five times and K2 twice, was forced to abort their ascent last week in poor conditions.

The company pledged to return next year with ladders, drills and bolts to make an “almost 100 per cent safer” route.

Full article here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/everest-climbers-take-steps-to-tame-kill...

Can imagine there will be a lot of of opposition to this?!  

Not sure what their plan is (and you can't really tell from the tiny diagram), but I'd imagine they're going to put a ladder up the rock wall on one side of the bottleneck to make it easier to climb that section, and take climbers away from the avalanche path?

AlanLittle 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Not that I've been to high altitude or ever will, but still - if there's climbable rock there, how about just f*cking climbing it?

Dan Arkle 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Probably won't happen. 

Far more interesting news is that Nirmal Purja didn't have any need for a ladder, and has now done 11 8000m peaks this season. Truly incredible. 

beardy mike 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Damn straight Mr. Arkle. The man is a machine.

Sean Kelly 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Apparently Nirmal Purja is in the British Special Forces , a Gurka in the SAS. Tough lad!

Post edited at 15:32
 leon 1 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly: Not SAS but SBS.  Must have done something right to get an MBE at such a relatively young age.

Post edited at 15:39
GoneFishing111 26 Jul 2019
In reply to leon 1:

For "outstanding work in mountaineering" ....apparently 

Mark Collins 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Something to do when it rains in the himalaya 😉

tehmarks 26 Jul 2019
In reply to Mark Collins:

Like a really long version of the Via Corda Alpina?

In reply to Iamgregp:

Either ban all fixing of any kind or install a chairlift. 

Lesdavmor 27 Jul 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

A practice run on the mighty Mount Snowdon?

McHeath 27 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

> The company pledged to return next year with ladders, drills and bolts to make an “almost 100 per cent safer” route.

I love the term "almost 100% safer". So only slightly more than 1 in 8 instead of 1 in 4 summiteers will die!

HakanT 27 Jul 2019
In reply to McHeath:

I’ve seen the 1 in 4 stat before. Do you know if it means “for every 4 people who summit, 1 person dies somewhere on K2” or “out of every 4 people who summit K2, 1 doesn’t make it down alive”?

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

An aside to the thread, but who are the Gurkhas, and why are they still part of the UK's armed forces, 50 years or so after the demise of almost all of its empire?

tehmarks 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

Why wouldn't they be?

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

er, if I knew who they were I could better answer your question. If they are foreign nationals, why do they want to be in our armed forces?

Duncan Bourne 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

The Ghurkas are an armed force drawn from the Nepalese hill tribes. During the Anglo-Nepalese war of 1814 -16 they made such an impression on the British forces that they were later recruited by them and fought on the side of the British during the Indian Rebellion of 1857.

Many Nepalis would give their eye teeth to serve in the Ghurkas not just for the honour but for the very nice pension they get.

As a traveller in Nepal I got treated far better once they knew I was British and "give my regards to Sandhurst" was commonly said. Many of the ex-ghurkas use their pension to set up tea houses on the trails

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

So they are mercenaries?

MJAngry 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

Well if you take that view, so are all soldiers. 

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to MJAngry:

No they are not. The attraction of an income and a pension to impoverished people is easily understood. It just seems an anachronism that our government sees fit to employ Nepalese as soldiers, and that their government permits it.

tehmarks 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

They've fought for the British for hundreds of years and given their lives in conflicts that have had nothing to do with them for our benefit, including in both world wars.

Given the immense sacrifices they've made in aid of the freedom you currently enjoy, retaining their service is the least we can do for them. The government have already tried screwing them over in various ways, and I personally think the way they've been treated in recent times is disgusting.

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Retaining their services so that they can continue to give their lives for conflicts that have nothing to do with them for our benefit is not very nice. Better, move on and invest in Nepal.

baron 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

> An aside to the thread, but who are the Gurkhas, and why are they still part of the UK's armed forces, 50 years or so after the demise of almost all of its empire?

There’s around 1400 Fijians serving in the Armed Forces as well.

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to baron:

Really? I didn't know. Are we relying for our defence on the exploitation of impoverished people?

tehmarks 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

I assume their own thoughts and feelings don't apply then?

The Gurkhas (the race) see serving in the British Armed Forces as a huge honour and privilege.

McHeath 27 Jul 2019
In reply to HakanT:

There are many different K2 fatality statistics scattered around the web, with no way of telling which are correct or (as in this case) how they're meant to be interpreted. Seems to be a lot of copy + paste going on.

Post edited at 13:33
 mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Honestly, apart from the money, do you think it is in their best interests to be a mercenary wing of our army?

baron 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

> Really? I didn't know. Are we relying for our defence on the exploitation of impoverished people?

It used to be due to the difficulty in recruiting enough home grown soldiers.

Apparently the Fijians have an affinity with Scottish regiments And At one time one in ten soldiers serving in Scottish regiments was from Fiji.

tehmarks 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

Money, pension, the right to live in the UK and the opportunity to follow the family tradition in many cases I suspect, in the same way that many in this country follow the family tradition and join the Army.

Until recently I was hoping to join the Infantry, and the Gurkhas would have easily been my first choice of regiment if it weren't for the incredible competition to commission into the regiment. They are incredible and highly professional soldiers with a fantastic attitude, and it suits both us and them. I don't see the problem.

I'll start a new thread when I get home from work as it's an interesting topic of conversation and is derailing the original point of this thread.

Post edited at 13:47
In reply to Lesdavmor:

Are you suggesting a K2 steam train? If so, then kudos

McHeath 27 Jul 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

One of the maths teachers in our school was a retired Gurkha; aged I suppose about 55, small and wiry, he walked the mile uphill to work every morning bareheaded at a terrific pace in all weathers, head down and briefcase under his arm, greeting everybody politely whom he passed (which was everybody). We used to make half-amused, half admiring comments about him; but nobody would ever, ever have poked fun, because we all could imagine what he may have been up to, and what he may have gone through, in WW2.

In reply to mbh:

I find your reply deeply insulting

mbh 27 Jul 2019

As you will. I am simply wondering why we continue to take advantage of the impoverishment of a foreign people to staff our armed services.

MJAngry 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

So your argument is that the ghurkas are mercenaries because they get paid and a pension, but all other soldiers who get paid and a pension are not mercenaries. 

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to MJAngry:

Yes, by my definition of a mercenary as being a soldier works for a foreign power. I don't think that is contentious.

What I am surprised by is that the employment of foreign people in our armed services is not seen by those here as continued colonialism by another name. We get defended, they get to walk through the minefields. And a pension, which is peanuts to us.

In reply to mbh:

To which I reply you do not understand the situation from the point of view of the Nepali people.

My view would be that is a symbiotic relationship where by each party gets something it wants out of it. Do not see any taking advantage of as you so put it.

In reply to mbh:

It might be worth pointing out that Nepal was never under colonial rule

Here is the Nepal-Britain treaty of 1923

1) Nepal and Britain will forever maintain peace and mutual friendship and respect each other's internal and external independence.

2) All previous treaties, agreements and engagements, since and including the Sugauli Treaty of 1815, which have been concluded between the two Government are hereby essentially cancelled, except so far as they may be altered by the present Treaty.

3) As the preservation of peace and friendly relations with the neighbouring States whose territories adjoin their common frontiers is to the mutual interests of both the High Contracting Parties, they hereby agree to inform each other of any rupture such friendly relations, and each to exert its good offices as far as may be possible to remove such friction and misunderstanding.

4) Each of the High Contracting Parties will use all such measure as it may deem practicable to prevent its territories being used for purpose inimical to the security of the other.

5) In view of the longstanding friendship that has subsisted between the British Government and the Government of Nepal and for the sake of cordial neighbourly relations between them, the British Government agrees that the Nepal Government shall be free to import from or through British India into Nepal whatever arms, ammunition, machinery, warlike material or stores may be required or desired for the strength and welfare of Nepal, and that this arrangement shall hold good for all times as long as the British Government is satisfied that the intentions of the Nepal Government are friendly and that there is no immediate danger to India from such importations. The Nepal such arms, ammunition, etc., across the frontier of Nepal either by the Nepal Government or by private individuals. If, however, any convention for the regulation of the Arms Traffic, to which the British Government may be a party, shall come into force, the right of importation of arms and ammunition by the Nepal Government shall be subject to the proviso that the Nepal Government shall first become a party to that Convention, and that such importation shall only be made in accordance with the provisions of that Convention.

6) No Customs duty shall be levied at British Indian ports on goods imported on behalf of the Nepal Government of immediate transport to that country provided that a certificate from such authority as may from time to time be determined by the two governments shall be presented at the time of importation to the Chief Customs Officer at the port of import setting forth that the goods are the property of the Nepal Government, are required for the public services of the Nepal Government are not for the purpose of any State monopoly or State trade, and are being to Nepal under orders of the Nepal Government, The British Government also agrees to the grant in respect of all trade goods, imported at British Indian ports for immediate transmission to Kathmandu without breaking bulk en route, of a rebate of the full duty paid, provided that in accordance with arrangements already agreed to, between the two Governments, such goods may break bulk for repacking at the port of entry under Customs supervision in accordance with such rules as may from time to time be laid down in this behalf. The rebate may be claimed on the authority of a certificate signed by the said authority that the goods have arrive at Kathmandu with Customs seals unbroken and otherwise untampered with.

7) This Treaty signed in the part of the British Government by Lieutenenat-Colonel W.F.T. O'Connor, C.I.E., C.V.O., British Envoy at the Court of Nepal and on the part of Nepal Government by General His Highness Maharaja Sir Chandra Shumsher Junga Bahadur Rana, G.C.B, G.C.S.I., G.D.M.G., G.C.V.O., D.C.I., Thong-lin Pimma Kokang- Wang-Syan, Prime Minister and Marshal of Nepal, shall be ratified and the ratification shall be exchanged at the Kathmandu as soon as practicable.

mbh 27 Jul 2019

We are much richer than them. The dynamic is that they are  tempted to face the fire for our benefit at minimal cost to us. It is is still exploitation.

I am no expert in development,  but surely there are more sophisticated ways by which we could nurture Nepalese society, if we are invited to be involved, than by asking them to fight for us.

In reply to mbh:

I am sorry but the old we are rich so we must be exploiting them argument is bullshit.

You just don't get it THEY WANT TO FIGHT FOR US

By your token every grunt soldier is being exploited because it might be the only way for them to earn a living. So we should ponly employ soldiers who come from stable middle class backgrounds?

The only logical argument is to do away with armed forced altogether that way no one gets exploited.

Secondly what do you mean by "nuture Nepalese society"? To me that just sounds patronising and elitist. Nepal is, by our standards, a poor country, it has always been a poor country, due mainly to geography and the vast majority of its population being subsistance farmers but has made vast strides since the 1950's. Ecconomically it relies heavily on foriegn aid through the Nepal Developement Fund but aside from that its principle ecconomy is argriculture. It's two main resources are tourism and hydroelectric power. It also relies on the export of clothing and leather goods. Politically it creates a buffer zone between India and China.

Post edited at 15:55
 tehmarks 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

>  We get defended, they get to walk through the minefields.

You've never served or have the first clue how the Armed Forces work, do you?

>A pension, which is peanuts to us.

As far as I'm aware, they're on the exact same pension scheme these days as everyone else, which up until recently was one of the major reasons for people choosing to serve; it was an excellent pension scheme. Before that, under the Gurkhas Pension Scheme they could draw a pension immediately upon retirement after 15 years service - by their early thirties essentially. They'd have been drawing a pension for over twenty years before a British soldier of the same rank and length of service would be able to.

If you want to keep arguing about it, go do some research. You're currently talking out of your arse.

In reply to tehmarks:

I feel Mark that we are wasting our time on one who is happy to sit in their bubble of ignorance and not do any proper research.

Sorry for hi-jacking the main thread

Post edited at 16:00
 mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

'Walking through minefields' is a figure of speech. Am I so clueless as to think that serving in the Armed Forces might not involve danger?

Our own soldiers' pension is peanuts to the nation, as is their wage bill. The same pension, to the Nepali, is worth much more. You seem to miss the point, which is not that the Gurkhas don't get what to them is a worthwhile sum, but that it is such a huge sum that it is hard to refuse. Thus they can be our squaddies instead of the Etonian (not) 17 year olds from this country. 

Our GDP per capita is more than 10 times that of Nepal. Quite possibly, Hans Rosling could tell you that the disparity was greater in the past but still, an order of magnitude is a great deal and lends itself to exploitation, even if most individuals on either side might not see it that way. 

It boils down to whether you think that asking poor people to serve in our Armed Forces and risk their lives and limbs for your sake is ethical or not. I don't.

profitofdoom 27 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

> I am simply wondering why we continue to take advantage of the impoverishment of a foreign people to staff our armed services.

OK, talking about "take advantage of the impoverishment of a foreign people" better not buy any clothes made in Bangladesh then. Sweatshop workers there earn less than US$1 a day

In reply to mbh:

> It boils down to whether you think that asking poor people to serve in our Armed Forces and risk their lives and limbs for your sake is ethical or not. I don't.

Let's set the entry bar at at least a two bedroom semi within Greater London. 

mbh 27 Jul 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

..or at $2.3 a day, like it is in Nepal. [is that fair? - that is, the GDP per capita per day. The UK figure is over $100].

Those concerned about research on this topic might want to read Poor Economics by Banergee and DuFlo to get an idea of where I am coming from.

Post edited at 18:10
 PaulJepson 27 Jul 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> There are many different K2 fatality statistics scattered around the web, with no way of telling which are correct or (as in this case) how they're meant to be interpreted. Seems to be a lot of copy + paste going on.

I think the stat that got banded around was that for every 4 successful summits there was 1 death. Some people wrongly interpreted this as 'if 4 people summit, 1 of them will die on the descent', when actually it meant that if 12 people successfully climbed the mountain in a season, the death toll for that year would be somewhere around 3. No idea how accurate it is based on current stats though. 

Ciro 27 Jul 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

> OK, talking about "take advantage of the impoverishment of a foreign people" better not buy any clothes made in Bangladesh then. Sweatshop workers there earn less than US$1 a day

Indeed, another example of how we exploit impoverished countries - glad you see the link.

OP Iamgregp 27 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

So... The ladder and bolts on K2 then?

Arms Cliff 27 Jul 2019

>  the Indian Rebellion of 1857.

i can’t help thinking this deserves a different name these days, although I see it is also know as a war for independence and a struggle for freedom. 

In reply to mbh:

But they get paid the same as British soldiers, about $28k. How is that exploitation?

doz 28 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Will have rusted into oblivion before the UKC collective remember what we were arguing about

tehmarks 28 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

> Thus they can be our squaddies instead of the Etonian (not) 17 year olds from this country.

It's funny, that. One of the recruitment problems we have is actually that the bulk of our officers still appear to be from wealthy, privately-educated backgrounds. And don't tell me 'yes, of course they are, becuase they don't put themselves in harm's way ordering the cannon fodder to charge the trenches' because it simply isn't true. A core belief in our Army is that to order your men to do something you're not willing to do yourself is cowardice of the highest order, and thus officers in the fighty arms of the Army are there on the front line, directly in harm's way with their men, taking the same risks. Have a read up on Lieutenant Colonel Herbert Jones VC for an example. And they're not joining the fighty arms because they can't do anything more clever - the teeth arms are the most competitive of the Army to commission into.

I also know several highly intelligent people who've given up successful careers to join the Army. One wrote embedded code for medical devices, and gave it all up to join the Paras. As a squaddie.

mrphilipoldham 28 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

Do you also wonder much why we get Polish people to clean our toilets, and Czech’s to work our restaurant floors on zero hour contracts? Or is that ok?

Thrudge 28 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

Let's say the Republic of Erewhon emerges as a global superpower, with a GDP 100 times that of the UK.  A private in the Erewhon Army earns £250k p.a.  The army is recruiting, and looks favourably upon applicants from the UK.  I sign up.  Am I being exploited?

BTW, the Erewhonese are white.  And I am not....

flour 28 Jul 2019
In reply to Thrudge:

Eloquently put. However I think you miss the point. The problem lies with the low base level and standard of living in Nepal.

There are plenty of British mercenaries fighting around the world but I would have thought they could have earned a decent wage in the UK, unlike the options available to Ghurkas. Hence the exploitation.

Duncan Bourne 28 Jul 2019
In reply to flour:

I tend to disagree there. In my view exploitation is paying people peanuts to do mind numbing or dangerous jobs, with poor work environments. I don't see paying people the going rate in this country to do a difficult job as exploitation.

Paying someone more than they would get by staying put is not exploitation. Paying someone less than you would pay anyone else and treating them poorly is exploitation (ie like the foriegn construction workers employed by the Saudis)

In reply to flour:

So don't offer the Nepalese decent wages because it's a disproportionate amount of income to what they would expect from local jobs? 

Exploitation would be paying them low wages because they desperately need money. Offering people good wages for risky work is just free-market capitalism. Take mining for example - risky jobs, often in areas with little other work. Are they exploiting the townspeople? When they leave and the town's economy dies, you don't see everyone rejoicing that they are free from exploitation...

Thrudge 28 Jul 2019
In reply to Thrudge:

Sorry, I mis-spelt.  It's Erehwon, of course.

Mr. Lee 28 Jul 2019
In reply to flour:

> There are plenty of British mercenaries fighting around the world but I would have thought they could have earned a decent wage in the UK, unlike the options available to Ghurkas. Hence the exploitation.

I moved from the UK, where I earned shit money in the NHS, completely unable to save any money, with limited prospects for career progression (unless taking a more senior position for the same money counts). I'm now living comfortably in Norway, doing the same job and am happier all round. By your definition though I'm probably being exploited, despite the move being totally proactive on my part.

wintertree 28 Jul 2019
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> By your definition though I'm probably being exploited, despite the move being totally proactive on my part.

Ahh, but unlike the poor Nepalese folk, you are well educated enough to make your own decisions.  That’s the inference I’m drawing behind the “exploitation” point upthread.  Unless there is “mis-selling” going on I can’t see it as exploitation.

Morally speaking, I see a lot more issues around the Sherpas.

Post edited at 16:21
 mbh 28 Jul 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Two things.

One, we are offering people not merely a job, but one that intrinsically  involves risk of injury and death and one that too few Brits want to do. Two, the money on offer is such that to the people concerned, it is a fortune. So, since money talks, they would be tempted to do it. This must be against their better judgement since I guess they, their mothers and families value their lives and limbs as much as we do.

In my view, this is exploitation, despite the money on offer.

John2 28 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

Joanna Lumley successfully campaigned for the Gurkhas to have residency rights in the UK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha_Justice_Campaign . I don't see that they are being exploited in any way - no one forces them to join the Gurkhas, and they join on the same terms as any British national joins the army.

mbh 28 Jul 2019
In reply to John2:

That misses the point, which is that it is wrong to use money to tempt people in poverty into danger. That's all.

tehmarks 28 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

> Two things.

> This must be against their better judgement since I guess they, their mothers and families value their lives and limbs as much as we do.

How about my limbs then? Or must my desire to join the Infantry be against my better judgement too? Or just your better judgement?

I don't understand how you can form the opinion you've formed despite not knowing the first thing about the Gurkhas - including even who they are up until a couple of days ago.

Post edited at 18:26
 John2 28 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

What about young blokes from Blackpool on the dole? I would argue that the Gurkhas get a significantly better deal than them, since at the end of their period of service they are entitled to take up residence in a substantially wealthier country.

Chris Sansum 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

K2 via ferrata? Sounds fantastic! Will I need any more kit than my fall arrester? I guess a helmet might be a good idea?

freeheel47 30 Jul 2019
In reply to mbh:

I think you should be a bit more careful about using such an inflammatory term which many people will find grossly insulting, particularly given the sacrifices that so many Gurkahs have made preserving all our freedoms. Over 250,000 fought against the Axis powers in WWII with over 30,000 casualties.

Many nations have components of their armed forces comprising of foreign nationals. And the UK has has commonwealth troops as well as Gurkhas for a very long time.

In WWII US pilots joined the RAF pre 1941, as did the Poles?

The Vatican has the Swiss Guard, the US has people from all over.

Worldwide here is a list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_militaries_that_recruit_foreigners

sambamlam 01 Aug 2019
In reply to mbh:

You're obviously desperately overcome with the need to feel "pity" for a group of people you couldn't be more detached or clueless on. A case of bored middle class-ness.

beardy mike 06 Aug 2019
In reply to mbh:

I take it you're not writing this on a computer because if you are then you are exploiting impoverished foreign workers, kept that way by greedy multinational corporations mining in a hole in the ground searching for rare earth metals etc. They see little benefit from you writing on the internet from a position of priviledge and hypocracy. We all do things in life which subjugate others unfortunately and I'm not sure there is a way to prevent it at the moment. A pension, being well paid and being able to provide for their family is not a bad trade off considering otherwise they would be living in destitution...

Post edited at 13:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...