BMC reciprocal rights card in Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The card itself costs £45 which is cheaper than joining the CAI. What level of discount in the rifugios does this give, and is it always accepted?

How does it compare to joining the CAI, and is that even possible if you’re a UK citizen?

HeMa 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Not sure about joining, but OeAV (so Austrian) or DAV (German) are options. Roughly the same price, but with insurance and so on added benefits. 

The discount is always the same with any reciprocal card, but in in certain cases If the refuge is operated by a local branch/division of the CAI, they might get even better price. Not sure If this is How CAI operates, but certainly the case with OeAV (which is why I’m A member of Sektion Salzburg, not the UK branch).

As for the discount, it varies but I’m sure you’ll find the prices online somewhere. I recall Gianetti was ~40 Eur for halfboard instead or ~55 or so. So 3 to 4 nights and you’be saved the BMC card value. 

Andy Say 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank the Husky:

In a CIA run hut you'll get about 30/40% discount.  Not all private huts (of which there are many) will give a similar discount.

Joining the OAV (Sektor Brittanien) will give you the same reciprocal rights as the BMC card, plus insurance, as has been mentioned.

This is quite a good hut finder for South Tyrol and Northern Italy - https://www.alpenverein.at/huetten/finder.php  Just select Italy in the 'region' drop down.  All those huts should give reciprocal discount.

Post edited at 10:34
 beardy mike 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Andy Say:

Yeah but in CIA run huts you may be subject to waterboarding and other forms of torture and you need to know a secret handshake to get in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...