Best Leg Wear Combination up to 7000m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daz81 24 Sep 2019

I’m planning on a peak around 7000m next year. Maybe Lenin Peak because it’s reasonably priced and can be done with less than 4 weeks off work. 

As weight and bulk are issues I’m concerns about taking too many types of leg wear plus leggings. 

I appreciate Lenin Peak is considered a cold mountain though not as cold as others

Will I generally be ok in Rab Vapour Rise Guide pants and merino Long Johns or should I consider something warmer like Rab Photon.

What do you find the best combination of leg wear upto 7000m

Damo 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Daz81:

>

> Will I generally be ok in Rab Vapour Rise Guide pants and merino Long Johns 

Yes

> What do you find the best combination of leg wear upto 7000m

When I did Lenin some years ago I wore light softshell pants up to ABC (it's hot) then a regular merino baselayer under Rab Neoshell trousers up to C2, then added light fleece pants as a midlayer from C2 to summit. It was very cold starting in the dark at 0300 on summit morning until dawn but then not too bad.

In reply to Daz81:

Summit day on Peak Lenin a couple of years ago I wore Mountain Equipment Prophet Pants with Eclipse Pants underneath. Very comfortable in that setup. It’s not a particularly cold mountain unless the weather comes in. The insulated pants were only worn on summit day, it’s ferociously warm lower down the mountain. Camp 2 is like an oven when the sun hits.

Daz81 24 Sep 2019

Thanks.

I was looking to wear my light weight Montane Terra Pants for travelling over and for the lower sections, then my Rab Vapour Rise Guide's as I get higher.  I'm under the impression ME Prophet pant are warmer than Vapour Rise Guides but cant be sure, does anyone know?

I've got some merino wool Long John's (that I normally sleep in if its cold) and was thinking I could wear them under the Rab's when it gets colder.  I think the Eclipse pants will be warmer than merino too.

Though I also carry entry level gortex over trousers assuming there wont be much rain and anything higher up will fall as snow.  If I put these over the Vapour Rise I would think it would offer some extra degree of warmth, even if it only acts as a wind blocker.

Damo 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Daz81:

>

> Though I also carry entry level gortex over trousers assuming there wont be much rain and anything higher up will fall as snow.  If I put these over the Vapour Rise I would think it would offer some extra degree of warmth, even if it only acts as a wind blocker.

Yes that will work like that but it's not the most efficient setup. It's justifiable at altitude though  (despite no rain) because Pertex is not totally windproof and above 6000m you're going slower, generating less heat, so the wind cutting through softshell garments has a greater effect and you will get colder. Thus total windblock is good (or the multiple layers of pertex you get with insulation layers over softshell layers ie. Photon pants over VR pants).

When I said Vapour Rise would be OK down low, I should add that I moved BC-ABC-C1 in the early hours, starting in the dark, when it is cool. VR pants in the late morning or through the day down low would be too warm, take the Terras. On Lenin though, many people started after dawn, which I thought was stupid.

George.D 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Daz81:

My experience at similar altitudes in Nepal is that I would take a pair of light insulated overtrousers in addition to the softshell and leggings - something like ME Compressor or the similar Mountain Hardwear version. You can wear them on summit day if needed, but they can also be very handy for evenings in basecamp, which can get very cold (although that can be a little mountain-specific). One item I think worth having in the pack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...