Austria easy alpine/Klettersteige suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Osiris 14 Jul 2019

Heading to Austria next month with my girl for some climbing, but the options are bewildering. I was hoping someone with some experience could suggest some routes for us.

Recently did the JCMT alpine course and I'm comfortable scrambling/climbing up to E1, but my partner is less experienced and intimidated by multipitch climbing, so we're aiming to do some Klettersteig and perhaps some F/PD routes (rock - no ice/glacier).

We'll be flying into Müenchen so probably north side of the country is best for us. The only idea we had so far was the Kemacher ridge. We don't have unlimited money to spend and are both members of the AACUK now, so plan to stay in some huts.

Any suggestions for good areas or routes? Really appreciate all advice. General tips would be good. Wonder what the food situation will be like up in those huts as we're vegan... Japanese army world war two diet for us perhaps.

Thanks

Woody

Jellington 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Osiris:

Glödis is a lovely summit in the Schöbergruppe with a brand new klettersteig/via ferrata at the top. I recommend staying at the Lienzerhütte which is really nice aswell. Maybe descend to the Schöberhutte and try Hochschober the next day? Also, in the same area, the Petzeck from the Wangenitzseehutte is really nice. Do keep in mind that these are mostly hiking summits with some easy scrambling at the top, so nothing serious. 

As far as the vegan-stuff goes: the Wangenitzseehütte does have some vegetarian meals, but that's about it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...