/ Approach boots to base of mera peak, ama dablam

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Burly1973 09:24 Thu

Hi all,

looking for some help...

I have various mountaineering boots for ice climbing and winter alps etc , and my question is what sort of boots do people use to approach mera peak/ ama dablam ?

thanks,

Burly

Ken Applegate 09:38 Thu
In reply to Burly1973:

I wore approach shoes as far as camp 1 on Ama Dablam (and Island Peak base camp), before needing to switch to Spantiks. I know that some folk go right up to camp 2 in approach shoes, but I suspect whether this is feasible will change slightly from season to season.

Burly1973 09:46 Thu
In reply to Ken Applegate:

Thanks Ken so any decent light approach boots will do.

Thanks

Ken Applegate 10:16 Thu
In reply to Burly1973:

No problem, I know that a number of expedition companies recommend 3 season hiking boots, probably just to err on the side of caution and it might depend on how you are transporting all of your gear (whether you're using porters/yaks or carrying a lot yourself), but, the trails are very good and well maintained.

AndyC 17:24 Thu
In reply to Ken Applegate:

When I went to Mera in spring 1998, we were in snow from the day after we left Lukhla. There were avalanches on the Zatrwla and our mess tent was destroyed. The trails were barely paths and there was definitely no maintenance being done. I guess it's not only the climate that's changed!

andrewm1000 10:32 Fri
In reply to Burly1973: approach shoes or really light comfy boots for Mera all the way to Kare. Then boots for Mera La, high camp and summit days. Regards Andrew

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.