Alta via 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NickPS 24 Oct 2018

Hey guys and girls, 

Looking for someone to trek the dolomites with. Multiday trek with via ferrata and wild camping portions thrown in. Probably going in January.

Cold weather gear a must! 

Toerag 24 Oct 2018
In reply to NickPS:

I'm intrigued as to how you're going to deal with via ferrata underneath 3 feet of snow.

beardy mike 24 Oct 2018
In reply to NickPS:

Forget trekking - you will need ski's. And as the other poster says, most Via ferrata will be impassible/actual alpine climbing at that time of year. As for camping, sure, if you don't mind overnight temps of -10 to -25...

Post edited at 15:18
 ScraggyGoat 24 Oct 2018

Not much via ferrata on the AV2, but assuming good snow cover; multiple terrain traps and slopes of differing aspects and elevations each day.....avalanche poodle territory. 

You would need very good settled weather and consolidated snow on all aspects and heights to safely complete it.  Not being a Dolomiti local I don't know how rare such conditions are, but suspect they are unusual. It would be an impressive trip...

Note the winter ski-touring lines diverge from the Alt Via 2 route for good reasons.

If its a dry January with little snow it certainly would be possible.

Post edited at 15:34
 beardy mike 24 Oct 2018
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> If its a dry January with little snow it certainly would be possible.

That is true, it MIGHT be possible. Doing it on foot, even during a dryish January is asking a lot. Not last year but the two years before would have been ideal as hardly any snow fell at all before February and I was at 2600m on Boxing day with my 3 year old. That is not however the norm, even in these global warming times. It would be fairly foolhardy to plan a trip based on anomolous years - sure if you happen to have the time, are in the right place and are able to drop everything to go? Fine... even during those dry years it was still damn cold. To be honest personally if I was interested in a Dolomites traverse (which if I'm honest I am - a ski traverse) I would be reticent to go with someone who thinks that it's a regularly hike-able route in January.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...