Aiguille du Chardonnet to Refuge d'Argentière

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Suncream 11 Oct 2021

Suppose I've topped out on a route on Aiguille du Chardonnet. Is there any sensible way to descend to the Argentière hut? Camptocamp lists a couloir on the south face, but I'm concerned that might be hard to find from the top and a bit iffy later in the day. 

In reply to Suncream:

Have a look at the  Snow, Ice and Mixed guides, theres various lines on the Argentiere side of the mountain that could work, and similar from the col Reilly Adams. Obviously all very conditions dependant. 

John Cuthbert 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Suncream:

There is a major couloir on the South side but it is not super obvious from what is a tricky descent ridge from the top of the Chardonnet. That ridge also gets a lot of misty weather

I've skied the South Couloir in winter (climbing up it first) and i wouldn't want to be on it without skis (its both steep and avo prone), or there without significant snow (there's a huge amount of choss)....

Why not take the normal descent to the Alb Prem hut?

JC

OP Suncream 12 Oct 2021
In reply to John Cuthbert:

Thanks, that's rather what I suspected.

I was toying with the possibility of doing something on the Chardonnet (from Albert 1ere) followed by something on the Verte or Droites the following day. I think it would be too much like hard work unless there's a relatively direct descent.

John Cuthbert 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Suncream:

Your other option is to take normal descent from the Chardonnet and then traverse around and up to the Col de Passon and descent the obvious gully from there. Not sure what this descent would look like in Oct (I've only done it snowed up in winter when it's a straightforward solo), and it would be a bit of a slog, but the descent from the gully then drops down and under the descent via the South Couloir, so it would put you where you need to be..

JC

smithaldo 14 Oct 2021
In reply to Suncream: what time of year you thinking??? Imagine spring would be best for argentiere side of the droites/verte? Relatively short days though  

OP Suncream 14 Oct 2021
In reply to smithaldo:

Now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...