Advice for Charging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey guys, 

Going on my first expedition to Kyrgyzstan (fingers crossed :S) and I wanted to ask what people take to charge their electronics out in the field.

I'm a photographer, so I was planning on taking some Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panels + adapters to keep the gear charged.

Ideally, something light, that holds a good charge and doesn't take too long to power up. 

Or, maybe I should just take a film camera.

Let me know your thoughts. 

ed luke. 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Alexander_Metcalfe:

Hi Alex

We've had good results with the solar panels nothing fancy though the Goal Zero ones have strong marketing.

Power banks are a must as it's not sunny everyday. Consider keeping the bank warm and dry and where you position the panel as the sun moves whilst you're away on the mountain.

Bigger battery wise (canon DSLR size) we use sparingly and never completely drain but you can test how these charge from the power bank before you go. 

Smaller lithium battery (gopro, Sony, smart phone etc) charge pretty quick on a sunny day. 

Have Fun,

Ed.

In reply to ed luke.:

Thanks Ed. Good advice.

I'll definitely look more into the power banks!

jt232 30 Apr 2020
In reply to ed luke.:

I've only used my solar charger camping and hiking,  not on any expeditions but it works well and can keep my mirror less camera topped up (although I'm not a photographer so would obviously use that less). I use two battery packs, one I keep in the solar panel so it's charging then the other I use for my devices. I find by the time I have depleted one battery pack the second one in the solar panel is fully charged so I just switch them over. I find that's enough to keep two phones and a camera charged. 

Post edited at 02:15
 JohnBson 30 Apr 2020

Power banks are tricky some simply won't charge with a packable solar panel as they need a higher current. Test which ones work with your panel don't believe online reviews and don't think that because they're made by the same manufacturer that they'll be compatible. 

AndyC 30 Apr 2020

To get the most out of solar you ideally need to have a basecamp where you can set up the panels and get the full benefit of the midday sun. If you are going to be on the move everyday then it will be more challenging to get a good charge. If you are not going to stay in one place, better to invest in a good supply of camera batteries and fully charge before you leave. You'll need to check your airline's battery policy to avoid potential issues. 

Charging camera batteries is probably easier than satellite phones - a nightmare when it's cloudy for days. As someone said, test everything fully before you leave!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...