Adele Planchard hut approach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Whittaker 08 Jul 2019

Has anyone been to this hut, what's the approach like?

I know its all footpath and non glacial, but what is a realistic timing and how scrambly is the terrain?

Considering spending a night in there with the Mrs but Evariste Chancel could be an easier backup. I know the scenery up at the Adele Planchard will be incredible 

tjhare1 09 Jul 2019
In reply to J Whittaker:

It’s a pleasant walk up the valley before it steepens considerably. The latter half isn’t technically difficult at all, but is a bit of a slog! There can be some snow below the hut - no idea what there is this year. There are two possible places to leave from the car: the road out the back of Villar d’Arene and the Col de Lautaret. The former involves a bit more climb but is definitely more pleasant, and the difference really isn’t that great.

Timings for a “standard” party might be c4-5hrs. I’ve no idea where you’d lie relative to that, so can’t really comment further.

Definitely a great location with wonderful scenery. Lovely guardians too. Have fun!

Liz Lowe 09 Jul 2019
In reply to J Whittaker:

It was my first mountain hut experience, and it's a really nice one - small but comfortable.  It is definitely a bit of a slog to get there though! (but not scrambly)  But you know, no pain no gain and all that   When I went, there were people there who'd walked up purely to enjoy the beautiful sunrise the next morning, and then go back down.  Very civilised. 

jabc 09 Jul 2019
In reply to J Whittaker:

Would fully agree with others that it's a fantastic hut and well worth the effort to get up there. Very friendly guardian - there were only four of us in the hut and some others had cancelled so we were treated to enormous servings of croziflette with fruit tart for pudding. 

We were on skis after the Refuge de l'alpe and going reasonably well, but took about 45 mins to L'alpe Hut on foot from Pied du Col, 1.5hrs to c.2500m where it steepens and another 1.25hrs up to the hut.  4-5hrs (above) sounds like a reasonable assumption. Its also a very scenic and rewarding walk in - at least until the final slog up the side of the valley to the hut. 

OP J Whittaker 10 Jul 2019
In reply to tjhare1:

Thanks for all the replies. Weather is good and were booked in tomorrow night. The hut is the objective so we have all day to ascend and descend. Spoke to the guides office this morning and there are a couple of snow patches on the very final approach but well tracked not requiring crampons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...