3 days around Suilven

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jbpilon 16 Jan 2020

Hi
Im going to Scotland in March to do Suilven if weather allows.
We have 3 full days in the area.
Any other trek you guys would recommend ?
We ll probably have the tents.

Cheers
JB

Mark Bull 16 Jan 2020
In reply to jbpilon:

If you are into scrambling it is well worth doing the "other" top of Suilven (Meall Meadhonach)

Quinag is a fine mountain, as is Cul Mor, but my favourite walk in the area is the full round of all the tops of Ben Mor Coigach starting from Culnacraig. 

Stac Pollaidh is very popular but well worthwhile for a half-day (some tricky scrambling if you go to the true summit). 

The area doesn't lend itself especially well for backpacking circuits if that's what you were thinking - too many difficult river crossings! 

Post edited at 16:09
 Lankyman 16 Jan 2020
In reply to jbpilon:

3 days is nothing like enough to explore the area - still if it's all you've got then you're not going to run out of hills. As well as Suilven there are lots of upstanding Torridonian sandstone hills of a similar ilk but all very much individuals. Ones I've enjoyed are Quinag (3 Corbett's on one hill so quite a lot of up and down), Stac Pollaidh (short) and Ben More Coigach but there are plenty of others. If the weather is poor then there are plenty of coastal options - just look at your map. Oh, and the walk up to see the caves above Inchnadamph is interesting. A bit like being back in the Dales.

morpcat 05 Feb 2020
In reply to jbpilon:

I was up there for a few days in 2015 and keep meaning to go back. I can't believe it's been 5 years and I haven't made the trip up!

Here's roughly what I did:

Day 1: drive up (from Ayrshire), stop at Inverness for a sandwich from Lettuce Eat, stop at Ullapool to stretch the legs and do some food shopping, run up Stac Pollaidh, park in Lochinver, hike out to Suileag bothy

Day 2: Early morning run up Suilven, walk back to Lochinver for lunch, drive up to Stoer, walk out to see the Old Man, bed and shower at hostel in Achmelvich and a swim at the beach

Day 3: Trail run out to Falls of Kirkaig, lunch at the café, visit to Bone Caves, run round trail at Corrieshalloch Gorge, hike out to Shenavall bothy 

Day 4: (had planned on An Teallach but wind was gusting 70mph) run up Ruadh Stac Mor and A'Mhaighdean, swim in river, run back to car via bothy, start drive back south (overnight kip in layby)

Leave plenty of time for photo stops and general gaping at the scenery. I came back with a long list of things for future trips (as others said Quinag, Cul Mor, and Ben Mor Coigach definitely catch the eye!).

Post edited at 23:21
pasbury 06 Feb 2020
In reply to jbpilon:

Ben More Assynt can also be the focal point of many fine circuits, offering a really remote and wild atmosphere. An underrated mountain.

The views over Assynt and Coigach are amazing.

It’s the finest part of Scotland I think. I’m getting the urge to go back.

Post edited at 00:08
 UKH Forums 06 Feb 2020
This thread was started in the EXPEDITION & ALPINE forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Tim Davies 17 Feb 2020
In reply to jbpilon:

Don’t overlook the Breabag area around the bone caves and running north to Quinag. Easy walking, great views and there’s an Abundance of camping sites. 

tbh it’s all fantastic up there! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...