1 Dayers around Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LemonFresh 01 Mar 2019

I'm looking for recommendation for 1 day routes in or around Chamonix (so i dont have to book an overnight in a busy hut). I have a guide sorted already (friend who lives out there).
I did Cosmiques last year in good snowy conditions and found it easy - so would like anything around that level or a step up.
Have got a car, so can drive through tunnel and explore....

(also any recommendations for good alpine trousers that wont deplete my vin rgoue budget too much...?)

subtle 01 Mar 2019
In reply to LemonFresh:

Spend a day at Les Gaillands, wont need to buy fancy trousers either

In reply to LemonFresh:

I assume you are looking at going in the summer / autumn?

If so, check out routes on the Aiguilles Rouges side of the valley - something like the Crochues Traverse or Clocher-Clochetons Traverse. Both easily accessibly from the valley floor and doable in a single day. 

Higher up, you could possibly do a traverse / half traverse of the Midi Plan from the Aiguille du Midi. Check out the traverse of Pointes Lachenal just across the Col du Midi. 

From the Italian side you could do something on the Aiguille Marbrees, and if you're really fast, perhaps something on the Aiguille d'Entreves.

Les Gaillands is great if you want to spend the day cragging in shorts and T-shirt, however, be prepared to fight for breathing space as it can become incredible busy. 

As your guide / local friend, they will know best no doubt...

Post edited at 13:19
In reply to LemonFresh:

> (also any recommendations for good alpine trousers that wont deplete my vin rgoue budget too much...?)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-alpi-pants-id_8386810.html

Check these out - great value for money.

OP LemonFresh 01 Mar 2019
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

Thanks for the advice - i'll check those routes.
Actually going end of March (i thought i had written that, but must have forgot).
But keen to go back in Summer/Autumn too!

In reply to subtle:

Haha - cheers mate. Not going to go all the way to the Alps and just do sports routes!!

In reply to Harrison_Connie:

Have you any experience on the Frendo Spur? Doable in spring conditions?

In reply to LemonFresh:

Hope you can ski - It's possible there will still be loads of snow around at the end of March but plenty to do none the less.

Ask your friend, they'll know whats doable and what current conditions are like - I'd hope anyway.

In reply to LemonFresh:

> Have you any experience on the Frendo Spur? Doable in spring conditions?

I don't, a bit above my pay grade at the moment - The Frendo is a BIG day even in summer, normally done over 2 I believe. 

March could see wintery conditions, making the Frendo, what I have been told, the equivalent to Scottish VI/VII! 

Post edited at 14:10
 smithaldo 01 Mar 2019
In reply to LemonFresh: the jump from doing the cosmiques arete To doing the Frendo in a day in late march is pretty big. In that it's a totally different game.

Check out Tim olivers blog for a detailed report on the frendo in winter/spring. 

Misha 01 Mar 2019
In reply to LemonFresh:

Might be stating the obvious here but ask your mate - if he’s a guide and based there, he’ll have a good idea of conditions and presumably a few ideas of what would be a suitable objective for you depending on your experience and conditions. 

TomGB 02 Mar 2019
In reply to LemonFresh:

Hey, I live in Cham and can confirm late March is still full on skiing season. You'll need to be pretty gnarly to get up the Frendo and will probably have steep skiers coming down past you!

The stuff in the Aiguilles Rouges will be covered in snow and it will be prime ski touring season (I skied the crochues-berard traverse recently!). If you can ski I've had mates doing stuff off the midi, skiing in, climbing a rock route, then skiing out during the Feb heatwave. However, March is looking much colder (obvs forecasts are very much subject to change 3 weeks out). 

Gav Parker 02 Mar 2019
In reply to LemonFresh:

Las traversee des Perrons a great day out a short drive from Chamonix

pass and peak 03 Mar 2019
In reply to LemonFresh:

NE ridge of Aguille de LM, you'd need to skin/snow shoe in from the midi half way station or the Montenveres train station! But if I was you I'd ask your guide/friend they should know what the crack is!

OP LemonFresh 05 Mar 2019
In reply to LemonFresh:

Thanks for all the info guys and girls!

I think i will leave Ferndo for a couple more seasons then

I can ski (badly) and board (well) - so might look at a split board or something.

Obviously my mate/guide will make the final decisions - i just wanted to to read up on a few routes while I sit at my desk counting down the days!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...