Yoga for climbers - for atheists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeMarcus 12 Nov 2018

Does anyone know any YouTube vids, DVDs, or similar that teach yoga specifically for climbers, but without any of the woo?

IE no third eyes, no namastes, no thanking the universe or awakening one’s energies. Just physical stretching in a yoga style.

In reply to MikeMarcus:

> Does anyone know any YouTube vids, DVDs, or similar that teach yoga specifically for climbers, but without any of the woo?

> IE no third eyes, no namastes, no thanking the universe or awakening one’s energies. Just physical stretching in a yoga style.

When I did yoga at our local dance studio , there was non of that anyway .

Just search for sports stretching vids

Pero 12 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

You could also check out "Body Balance", which is mainly Hatha Yoga, but is quite dynamic and includes some serious abs work. E.g.

youtube.com/watch?v=4a6eW937qG0&

My local gyms have stopped doing it and the regular yoga classes, I'm finding, are a very mixed bag and none comes close to Body Balance as a suitable routine for me.

The Potato 12 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Have you considered Pilates instead? 

Phil4000 13 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Try - Do Yoga with me on you tube. 

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=do+yoga+with+me+david+procyshyn

The David Procyshyn ones are good. 

tjdodd 13 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

I find this series good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2nLhg-tcM&list=PL4cAOe_EPeSU7MaWUWRdf...

Post edited at 07:31
 kestrelspl 13 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Both pilates (as someone else suggested) and SarahBethYoga on youtube seem not to have enough rubbish in them to distract me from the relaxation and core strength benefits. Atheist particle physicist speaking if you want to calibrate my tolerance for irrational fluff.

eb202 13 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

> Does anyone know any YouTube vids, DVDs, or similar that teach yoga specifically for climbers, but without any of the woo?

> IE no third eyes, no namastes, no thanking the universe or awakening one’s energies. Just physical stretching in a yoga style.

I use an app called Gaiam Yoga Studio (Android or Apple compatible) and I think it's very good. There are video classes from 5 - 60 minutes from beginner to advanced level with focus areas including flexibility, strength, relaxation, balance and combination, and you can make your own classes too. 

It cost £3 to download 2 years ago. They have since introduced several new classes and moved to a subscription based model at $9.99 (about £8) per month. I've not upgraded but kept hold of the classes I previously downloaded without any additional cost. 

I'm not sure whether you can now download it for a one off payment to just access a limited number of classes, but they do offer a week's free trial so it could be worth a look. 

MikeMarcus 17 Nov 2018
In reply to kestrelspl:

Super symmetry: fact or fiction? ????

MikeMarcus 17 Nov 2018

thank you everyone for the input. There’s plenty there to be getting on with. 

kestrelspl 18 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

An elegant theory but one where a lot of the elegance goes away if you have to tweak it to fit in with the experimental evidence gathered since the LHC turned on.

Post edited at 11:12
 danJBA 18 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

yes, it's called pilates 

tobykeep 18 Nov 2018
In reply to eb202:

I love yoga studio, but it’s only £1.79 /month for the basicversion. There’s no climbing specific section, but lots to choose from.

Post edited at 17:56
 stp 20 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

There's an infinitely expanding mass of Yoga vids on Youtube and the vast majority of it seems to be woo free. I think the way Yoga is generally taught in the West is mostly like that - just a good form of exercise.

Having said that don't discount meditation as woo. Ardent atheist Sam Harris is well into meditation and written a book on the subject.

MikeMarcus 25 Nov 2018
In reply to kestrelspl:

Because they haven’t found the heavier particles they were expectinbrg other than the Higgs?

Sorry. Derailing my own thread here.

kestrelspl 25 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Basically. One of the nice thing about supersymmetry is that it solves something called the hierarchy problem. This problem is that if you were to naively work out the mass you expect some of the particles we know about to have it should be enormous (as in many many orders of magnitude higher than we see enormous). If the partner particles predicted by supersymmetry have about the same mass as the particles we know about already this problem goes away and the predicted masses come out at what we see.

The bigger the difference in mass between the partner particles and our already known particles the bigger the expected mass of the particles we already know, so the less supersymmetry solves the hierarchy problem. You also have to come up with a reason for the different mass scale for supersymmetry and our currently known particles meaning you don't even reduce the number of problems you have.

Apologies if that sounded garbled, half way through cooking dinner. Feel free to ask if you want more details

Postmanpat 25 Nov 2018
In reply to tjdodd:

This series is specifically geared to climbing and is devoid of mumbo jumbo. Seems good to me although I’m no yoga guru

MikeMarcus 26 Nov 2018
In reply to kestrelspl:

If I ever put up my own hard route (this is highly unlikely), I’m calling it supersymmetry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...