Wide Boyz youtube vlog with climbing noob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jiminy483 30 Aug 2022

Hi, thought this might be of interest to anyone taking up multipitch climbing. Pete teaching parkour athlete and climbing noob Toby Segar how to climb big walls.

youtube.com/watch?v=JBnO_jo1jsc&

Post edited at 11:10
 Holdtickler 30 Aug 2022
In reply to jiminy483:

I'm really enjoying these! 

OP jiminy483 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Holdtickler:

Yeah, takes me back to when I learnt all this stuff, although the routes were at a much more  gravity friendly angle!

The camera work and detail are really top notch, seeing a very competent athlete chucked straight into the deep end is fascinating, a thuggy grit E2 for his first lead, holy molly... 

Part 2 is even better for anyone interested.

youtube.com/watch?v=Buu5lZWPV3k&

When I saw these I thought Sav would love this.

Holdtickler 30 Aug 2022
In reply to jiminy483:

Yeah takes me back too. I really like the way that Toby is humble and honest about his emotions. He's clearly used too trusting his abilities and operating in dangerous situations but this is a whole new slant. I agree the camera work is amazing too!

OP jiminy483 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Holdtickler:

Did you see this one? Worlds longest dyno...

youtube.com/watch?v=JBobmAW2AFw&

Toby's a beast!

Holdtickler 03 Sep 2022
In reply to jiminy483:

Hmm, that one less so... A bit of a misleading claim... An impressive "step up dyno" all the same...

In reply to jiminy483:

Toby goes to my bouldering gym, and regularly sends 7B/V8.. Definitely wouldn't class him as a climbing noob! 

Loved that video series regardless, though. I can see why they played up the noob angle, and I suppose he is very new or a noob to that climbing style. But he's a strong boulderer. 

PaulJepson 26 Sep 2022
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

He is quite the trad noob though. My first leads were a hvd I'd already seconded and a dif. His were an e2 and a Norwegian big wall...

OP jiminy483 26 Sep 2022
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

> Toby goes to my bouldering gym, and regularly sends 7B/V8.. Definitely wouldn't class him as a climbing noob! 

> Loved that video series regardless, though. I can see why they played up the noob angle, and I suppose he is very new or a noob to that climbing style. But he's a strong boulderer. 

Yeah I follow swags stuff on YouTube so I know he's a good boulderer, still thrown in at the  deep end with trad stuff though which I think made the series really interesting, if they'd been climbing easy routes I don't think it would have been as compelling. The thread title was a bit tongue in cheek. He's an accomplished ninja too which probably helps...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...