Who's worth going to hear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 28 Mar 2019

I've recently been to a couple of talks by athletes that sat at either end of the quality spectrum. Last night I saw round the world cyclist Jenny Graham and she was superb. Enthusiastic, engaging, entertaining, thought provoking and clearly well planned and prepared.

The other one (who I'm not going to name because I have great respect for the speakers and their achievements) was several turgid hours of umms, ehhs and narrative that never got beyond 'and then I did this and then I did that'.  It gave the impression of having been put together in an hour or two at most.

It got me thinking that these things are based on a bit of a misconception. We go to see these people because of their achievements but it's a talk we get and if they're not gifted in that regard even the most stunning achievement makes for a dull evening.

So, who have you seen that was good? Obviously thinking about climbers, cyclists etc but I'd be interested to hear about good speakers in different fields. 

Pefa 29 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Not sport related I'm afraid but I will seek out people who have much experience looking inward at existence and what it is, our essence, our core. Call them spiritual or whatever but some do speak from places of genuine wisdom that is brimming over with incredible insights and realization as well as tips on overcoming obstacles on the path and maintaining practice. 

Yanis Nayu 29 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I'd reply but I can’t remember his bloody name - climber, did hard stuff at Malham (Raindog) climbed hard without doing his shoes up...  Help me out!

McHeath 29 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I can't give you any recommendations, but maybe look for any videos, blogs or articles by the speaker? If you like their style, there's a good chance you won't be disappointed.

spenser 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Steve Maclure

I can also recommend Nick Bullock and James Pearson.

profitofdoom 30 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> ..................these things are based on a bit of a misconception. We go to see these people because of their achievements but it's a talk we get and if they're not gifted in that regard even the most stunning achievement makes for a dull evening.

Right. I guess some great achievers (and their audiences) think that because they're talented in one area they'll automatically be talented in another. Big mistake - it doesn't follow at all - like when the enormously musically talented Beatles made a film by themselves, the film* was rubbish (IMO)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Mystery_Tour_%28film%29 (scroll down to "Reception")

Post edited at 05:58
 Yanis Nayu 30 Mar 2019
In reply to spenser:

That’s the fella. I knew his name began with an ‘A’...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...