Which three films......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 12 Jul 2021

.. do you know most dialogue from?

Mine are

Tombstone

The Vikings

Kind Heart and Coronets.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

Jaws

Goodfellas

The Rutles, all you need is cash

tlouth7 12 Jul 2021

Chicken Run, Hot Fuzz, Blazing Saddles

Scarface

Razorback

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (mostly from reading but the film cemented them) 

Hooo 12 Jul 2021

The Blues Brothers. 20 years ago I could have made a fair stab at quoting the entire film. It's faded a bit now though.

I'm struggling to think of any more that come close.

Jon Stewart 12 Jul 2021

Withnail and I

"Two quid? You're out of your mind! You can shove it up your arse for nothing and you can f^ck off while you're doing it."

The Big Lebowski

"I like it too. The male myth about feminists is that we hate sex. It can be a natural, zesty enterprise. However, there are some people, it is called satyriasis in men, nymphomania in women, who engage in it compulsively and without joy..." ["Oh no.] "Oh. Yes, Mr Lebowski"

Living in Oblivion

"Great! I freak in your dream, I freak out in my dream, no wonder I'm so f^cking exhausted."

nastyned 12 Jul 2021

Probably The Princess Bride for me. Inconceivable.

OP Tom Valentine 12 Jul 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

"...only got two states of being: dangerous....or dead!"

Hooo 12 Jul 2021
In reply to nastyned:

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

freeflyer 12 Jul 2021

Dialogue. Not necessarily favourite films, but epic, simple entertainment with great jokes and massive piss-takes. In no particular order:

Life of Brian

Star Trek IV (the one with the whales)

Young Frankenstein

... and Flash Gordon, obviously.

LastBoyScout 12 Jul 2021
In reply to tlouth7:

Blazing Saddles
Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Life of Brian
Top Gun, probably

Tom Last 12 Jul 2021

Withnail & I

Monty Python and The Holy Grail

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

Here hare here

Post edited at 22:39
 profitofdoom 12 Jul 2021

Only two,

Apocalypse Now

Life of Brian

Blue Straggler 12 Jul 2021

Dune

Poltergeist

Point Break 

Blue Straggler 12 Jul 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

or possibly Mike Leigh’s Naked should be in there displacing Poltergeist 

Acrux 12 Jul 2021

point break

american psycho

step brothers

Blue Straggler 13 Jul 2021

> or possibly Mike Leigh’s Naked should be in there displacing Poltergeist 

Ooh! The Breakfast Club. And as some others have said, Apocalypse Now. Sorry that’s six but at least one of them isn’t one of the obvious ones 😃

In reply to freeflyer:

> Star Trek IV (the one with the whales)

The hell it is

damowilk 13 Jul 2021

The Princess Bride

Life of Brian

Naked Gun (by association, my partner loves it)

Andy Clarke 13 Jul 2021

Pulp Fiction

The Long Goodbye (Altman's brilliant reset)

Casablanca

DerwentDiluted 13 Jul 2021

Blazing Saddles.

Full Metal Jacket.

Life of Brian

summo 13 Jul 2021

It's like a pretentious love in, in reality most who are parents will be listing;

Toy story 

Shrek

Frozen

Ice age 

OP Tom Valentine 13 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

grandparents get to miss a lot of that stuff

summo 13 Jul 2021

> grandparents get to miss a lot of that stuff

You don't know what you're missing, half are films for grown ups disguised as kids movies. 

Andy Clarke 13 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> It's like a pretentious love in, in reality most who are parents will be listing;

A pedant writes: I hope you're not teaching your kids to introduce a list with a semicolon.

tlouth7 13 Jul 2021

> Dune

> Poltergeist

> Point Break 

Dune seems like cheating given there is hardly any dialogue. I always enjoy (from the book, can't remember whether it is in the film): "Parting with people is a sadness, a place is only a place".

65 13 Jul 2021

Monty Python and The Holy Grail

National Lampoon's Animal House

Repo Man

summo 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> A pedant writes: I hope you're not teaching your kids to introduce a list with a semicolon.

No. It should be a colon, semi colons mid list if grouping things together? Good job I'm not and never pretend to be an english teacher. Most of my English lessons at school consisted of the teacher hitting kids, or being hit, education wasn't its strong point. 

Post edited at 09:00

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Shaving Private Ryan

Terminator: Genisys

Andy Clarke 13 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

>  Most of my English lessons at school consisted of the teacher hitting kids, or being hit, education wasn't its strong point. 

When I started teaching English, it was still quite common to give a kid a clip round the back of the head or lift them out of their seat by a twisted earlobe. Seems hard to believe looking back. Even years later, when I was a head, parents would often comment to me along the lines of, "I don't know how you manage without the cane." The answer of course was that words always worked better.

In reply to summo:

> It's like a pretentious love in

How is any of this pretentious? Massively popular films that are often subject both to repeat viewings and to having lines quoted out of context.

Pretentious would be

A Bout de Souffle
Wild Strawberries
Berlin Alexanderplatz

etc 

summo 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> When I started teaching English, it was still quite common to give a kid a clip round the back of the head or lift them out of their seat by a twisted earlobe. 

I can only hope comprehensive schools in former NE pit communities have moved on too. Kids pinned to the wall with feet flailing wasn't that uncommon. Anyway I did eventually get my English via college evening classes, it was like a revelation when they started talking about metaphors etc... I'd never heard of them before. 

Anyway we digress, the original star wars hasn't featured yet. Perhaps this isn't the thread fans were looking for. 

wintertree 13 Jul 2021

• The Lost Boys
  • Kelly's Heroes
  • Police Academy

Highbrow stuff.

summo 13 Jul 2021

There's always some who'll claim high brow viewing. Anyway, we'll see how it goes, I'll be back. 

In reply to tlouth7:

> Dune seems like cheating given there is hardly any dialogue. I always enjoy (from the book, can't remember whether it is in the film): "Parting with people is a sadness, a place is only a place".

That line is not in the film. 

Dune doesn't feel to me like it has "hardly any dialogue", any more than Apocalypse Now, but sure compared to Pulp Fiction it's a silent movie

I once made a point of not attending a cinema screening of Dune for fear I might get thrown out for treating it like my own Rocky Horror Picture Show and shouting a load of lines at the screen before the actors speak them.

"You'll have no need of your weapons with me, Gurney Halleck"

wintertree 13 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> I can only hope comprehensive schools in former NE pit communities have moved on too.

A lot of pit village secondaries have gone; they're really centralising them across the county.  It's perhaps worst up the dale where attending a 6th form can involve a 1.5 hour journey over two busses, each way, every day.

deepsoup 13 Jul 2021

Is nobody going to mention the Rocky Horror Picture Show? 
Or are we all just waiting for that one to heighten the sense of antici...

Andy Clarke 13 Jul 2021

> How is any of this pretentious? Massively popular films that are often subject both to repeat viewings and to having lines quoted out of context.

> Pretentious would be

> A Bout de Souffle

Oh dear, that would certainly make my top 10!

Quelle est votre ambition dans la vie?/Devenir immortel et puis mourir.

65 13 Jul 2021

> How is any of this pretentious? Massively popular films that are often subject both to repeat viewings and to having lines quoted out of context.

> Pretentious would be

> A Bout de Souffle

> Wild Strawberries

> Berlin Alexanderplatz

> etc 

Indeed. For recalling dialogue and pretentious points, I'll raise you:

Quest for Fire

La Jetée

Fanny och Alexander

Andy Clarke 13 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> There's always some who'll claim high brow viewing. Anyway, we'll see how it goes, I'll be back. 

Hasta la vista, baby.

In reply to 65:

Nice to see Bergman retained. Good calls on all. My three were just random, off the top of my head, and I wasn't going down the "dialogue-free" route. 

I see your Quest for Fire and raise you "Caveman" starring Ringo Starr, Barbara Bach and Dennis Quaid. 

Toccata 13 Jul 2021

Local Hero

MP and the Holy Grail

Moana

And I'd happily watch all three again today.

Iamgregp 13 Jul 2021

Withnail and I and The Big Lebowski are probably the only films I know a decent amount of the dialogue of, surely two of the most quotable films of all time?

Third may be Pulp Fiction, but I really don't know anything like as much of that as the other two...

I'm a trained actor reduced to the status of a bum

Do all Mike Leigh's works count as films? 

I could have included Nuts in May, which seems like a film in most respects, but not Abigail's Party which is   what  I consider to be a conventional play. Is it something to do with the recording medium?

mbh 13 Jul 2021

Gladiator. The rest of you are clearly not entertained.

Love Actually. No, really.

The two Monty Python films. Cheating, I know, but I couldn't leave either one out.

Iamgregp 13 Jul 2021
In reply to mbh:

Aren't there four Monty Python films though?

I know the first and last aren't a patch on the middle two, but they do exist!

summo 13 Jul 2021
In reply to mbh:

> Love Actually. No, really.

It did revive, launch and save a few careers. 

mbh 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Pedant! I mean The Holy Grail and Life of Brian. The ones where every line is memorable.

> Do all Mike Leigh's works count as films? 

> I could have included Nuts in May, which seems like a film in most respects, but not Abigail's Party which is   what  I consider to be a conventional play. Is it something to do with the recording medium?

Hmmm

Dangerous ground, discounting adaptations like that. No Tennessee Williams, no David Mamet, and even those rare adaptations of novels where the dialogue is taken straight from the novel (I think the 1995 Sense and Sensibility and the more recent Little Women and "Emma." did this) seem not to be allowed by what you are possibly suggesting here. 

Mike Leigh's "Naked" is certainly a film, and at that time his most precisely scripted one - unlike his earlier works the spoken dialogue didn't arise from improvisation sessions

In reply to Toccata:

> Local Hero

She's got a magnificent pair of lungs

CantClimbTom 13 Jul 2021

Just posting to give my wholehearted approval for "WHICH three films" rather than "WHAT three films", do approve of the Kind Hearts and Coronets also

james.slater 13 Jul 2021

In Bruges

Withnail and I

Snatch

Lankyman 13 Jul 2021

Withnail and I

I went up to 'Crow Cragg' in 2009, when it was derelict and the panel blocking the door was covered in quotes. There was also a wooden plaque fixed with 'Here hare here' by an afficionado. Now, it's been done up and the owner runs Withnail breaks.

2001: a Space Odyssey

Open the pod bay doors, Hal

freeflyer 13 Jul 2021

> She's got a magnificent pair of lungs

News does tend to travel fast around here. Mmmmmm.

Can't believe I missed that out, and Toy Story, arguably my favourite quote film of all time, if it wasn't for Toy Story 2.

and (slightly altered):

My three favourite films are ....

I'll come in again.

In reply to wintertree:

> The Lost Boys

Interesting! Apart from some Frog Brothers stuff I can’t think of any quotable stuff from it, although Kiefer Sutherland’s lines are easy to remember as 70% of them are just him saying “Mmmmmiiiiiiiiiichael” 😃

Post edited at 13:43
 wintertree 13 Jul 2021

Bernard Hughes’ character has some great lines.m, especially his closing words.

“Death by Stereo” however takes some beating.

There is a lot of chanting/repeating “Michael” to be fair.

summo 13 Jul 2021
In reply to james.slater:

> Snatch

Do yah like dags? You know dags? 

I'm sure there are many more. 

deepsoup 13 Jul 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> Is nobody going to mention the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Or are we all just waiting for that one to heighten the sense of antici...

.. pation.

Jeez.  Tough crowd.

Another one I'm surprised hasn't had a mention is Aliens, given how often Ripley's advice to "take off and nuke the entire site from orbit" gets quoted on here.  (To be fair, it really is the only way to be sure.)  Game over, man, game over!

Queenie 13 Jul 2021

Total Recall

Twister

Forrest Gump

wercat 13 Jul 2021

Apollo 13

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Eiger Sanction (North Face, .. naturally)

In reply to deepsoup:

> Another one I'm surprised hasn't had a mention is Aliens, given how often Ripley's advice to "take off and nuke the entire site from orbit" gets quoted on here.  (To be fair, it really is the only way to be sure.)  Game over, man, game over!

Don't worry, the thread is predictably mutating into "which films do you know  most dialogue from" to "what are your favourite movie quotes". 

By midnight we'll have "I'll have what she's having" posted by someone who's never head of When Harry Met Sally   

Le Sapeur 13 Jul 2021

Amazing that no one has said 'Planes, trains and automobiles' yet (unless I've missed that).

deepsoup 13 Jul 2021

> Don't worry, the thread is predictably mutating into "which films do you know  most dialogue from" to "what are your favourite movie quotes". 

Hm..  fair point.  Guilty as charged with 'Aliens' - I only know a handful of quotes, not a big chunk of the whole dialogue.

I genuinely was quite surprised to see Rocky Horror scoring so low though.  (There can't be many films that have so often been shown at the cinema to audiences who largely already know every word.) Showing my age a bit maybe.  Mind you - with a strict interpretation of the rule suggested above that film adaptations of existing plays aren't allowed, it should probably be disqualified anyway.

Morty 13 Jul 2021

The Big Lebowski

Predator

Grease

65 13 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> Do yah like dags? You know dags? 

> I'm sure there are many more. 

"I need a shite." was my favourite, possibly Brad Pitt's finest moment.

In reply to deepsoup:

> Mind you - with a strict interpretation of the rule suggested above that film adaptations of existing plays aren't allowed, it should probably be disqualified anyway.

I don’t think Tom was really suggesting such a thing, he just got on a Mike Leigh tangent briefly 

Cornish boy 13 Jul 2021

Jaws

Zulu

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

mbh 13 Jul 2021

Also possibly in my top three is A Good Year. Even more so than Love Actually, it got slated in reviews, but we have watched it enough times by now to know most of the dialogue, which is why we keep watching it.

In reply to Cornish boy:

Surprised Zulu dialogue  hasn't got more followers.

toad 13 Jul 2021

Aliens

Predator

Dune

Mood? Mood Is a thing for cattle and loveplay.....

Now guard yourself for true!

> Surprised Zulu dialogue  hasn't got more followers.

Bits and bobs but not the whole film. Lots of “boring” stuff at the start. Not like Dune which is full on theatrical camp from the moment Virginia Madsen’s space-ghost floating head fades into view 😃

Bulls Crack 13 Jul 2021

Noseferatu

Battleship Potemkin

The Jazz Singer

The Field

Wyatt Earp

Trainspotting 2

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Memorised all the captions have you?

David Alcock 13 Jul 2021

Jaws, Ghostbusters, Once Upon a Time in the West (or any of the earlier Leone films).

Need to remember, for kids of a certain age there were books of the films... Hardwired. 

Obviously Jaws was the other way round. 

David Alcock 13 Jul 2021

I forgot Terminator (the first and only)... 

Bulls Crack 13 Jul 2021

'

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Noseferatu sounds interesting.

More 'most quoted' than 'know every line' but:

Spinal Tap

Holy Grail

Aliens (Game over man, game over!)

wercat 14 Jul 2021

I forgot "Local Hero"

and "An Ocurrence at Owl Creek" (1962)

Post edited at 08:40
 tlouth7 14 Jul 2021

> Don't worry, the thread is predictably mutating into "which films do you know  most dialogue from" to "what are your favourite movie quotes". 

If we are being strict with the original question, so "most" meaning highest total not highest proportion, and "dialogue" meaning one actor speaks and another responds, then I suspect we are looking for quickfire, quotable films where the quotes/jokes take the form of call and response*.

Ones that fit those criteria and come to mind are: Airplane, In Bruges, Hot Fuzz, Mel Brookes films. The challenge of course is to actually remember the setup as well as the punchline, but that's not important right now.

*"YOU'RE a quickfire, quotable film where the quotes/jokes take the form of call and response".

Blue Straggler 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Noseferatu sounds interesting.

Being picky?  

Harry Potter - all of them.

Dave Garnett 14 Jul 2021
In reply to toad:

> Dune

> Mood? Mood Is a thing for cattle and loveplay.....

> Now guard yourself for true!

Certainly I remember the version of those lines in the book - and I haven't read it for probably thirty years.

I guess my three films would be Hot Fuzz, Life of Brian and Casablanca.

I would have said Henry V, but that's only really remembering bits of Shakespeare rather than a film script.

Hex a metre 14 Jul 2021

never head of When Harry Met Sally   

Freudian typo?😎

In reply to Hex a metre:

> never head of When Harry Met Sally   

> Freudian typo?😎

Of curse it was

profitofdoom 14 Jul 2021
In reply to tlouth7:

> .....Airplane, In Bruges, Hot Fuzz, Mel Brookes films....

I'd forgotten "Airplane!" Full of great lines

felt 14 Jul 2021

Spinal Tap, Life of Brian, Wild Strawberries

Both predictable and pretentious

In reply to profitofdoom:

> I'd forgotten "Airplane!" Full of great lines

Surely you can't be serious

Carless 14 Jul 2021

Don't call me Shirley

It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether

Hex a metre 22 Jul 2021

Damn, got me there...

kathrync 22 Jul 2021

Serenity, Hot Fuzz, and unfortunately, due to my niece's obsession, Frozen!

In reply to kathrync:

Glengarry glenross. Superb writing and acting.

Midnight express

dead poets society

Good to see this thread for some promts about films I need to search out

Boomer Doomer 26 Jul 2021

Battleship Potemkin

Metropolis

The Great Dictator

Blue Straggler 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

Memorised all the caption cards have you?

Boomer Doomer 26 Jul 2021

😉

OK... I'll be serious this time.

Spinal Tap

Young Frankenstein

Snatch

WaterMonkey 26 Jul 2021

All is Lost..

Cobra_Head 26 Jul 2021

Young Frankenstein

Kes

Gold Member

Babika 26 Jul 2021

Pulp Fiction - can practically recite the whole script!

Burn After Reading

The Godfather

Obviously I can remember many lines from films I worked on. On every movie we'd be wandering around the cutting room quoting lines that seemed appropriate for the moment. E.g.:

'Things could be better, Lloyd. Things could be a whole lot better.'

'The Zambuli warriors have arrived.'

'The critics? I have nothing but compassion for them. How can I hate the crippled, the mentally deficient and the dead?'

In reply to WaterMonkey:

> All is Lost..

Can you recite that radio bit near the end? 

Is that second one from the film by He Who Shall Not Be Named? 

No, it was by John Guillermin: Sheena, Queen of the Jungle.

That was what I meant by He Who Shall Not Be Named! Did you think I meant Stanley? 

Ah! I don't remember Guillermin ever being given that epithet. He was very, very difficult by any standards. No, I did not think you meant SK

Just my quickly-made-up epithet. Looking back, maybe not obvious! I know all the issues he presented, thanks to you (and that birthday message from Tanya from some years ago, that you shared, half of which seemed to be about John!) 

Before he died I would have had to be very careful about what I said about him. But I still better not here: except, the way he treated people was truly dreadful (not helped by an obvious drink problem).

The extraordinary thing about Mr K was just how gentle he was. I'll be starting to write a short book about working with him very soon, having just finished the huge biography of my once-famous world speed record-breaking great uncle that's bogged me down for 11 years (going to my agent this week). 

Post edited at 23:54
 Blue Straggler 27 Jul 2021

Congratulations on finishing your long project . Check your email. 

Post edited at 00:27

Thanks. But I can't see anything in my mailbox. Please send again (I may have inadvertently wiped it.)

Sounds like a lot of my emails have not reached you in the past 18 months then! 

I’ll send a test. It’s not via UKC, it’s direct from my webmail to the address I have for you (the domain is your name, maybe this is now out of use or unchecked) 

planetmarshall 27 Jul 2021

• The Red Turtle
  • Koyaanisqatsi

and, er..

• Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I've had very few emails from you. And there are no more now. Just one 'test' email at 16:07.

Post edited at 21:02
 broken spectre 27 Jul 2021

Check your junk mail Gordon, I had a really good email from Blue a while back but due to some glitch or other it went directly to my junk folder. Mark it as 'not junk' and future emails should come through fine.

In reply to planetmarshall:

> Koyaanisqatsi

Memorised all the Philip Glass choral bits have you? (or is it all instrumental on that one? I know there is a lot of great vocal on Powaqaatsi....) 

In reply to broken spectre:

No, there's nothing from Kenny in my junk email.

planetmarshall 27 Jul 2021

> Memorised all the Philip Glass choral bits have you?  

Yes. Yes I have.

Kooooyaahhh-ni-sqaaatsiiiii.....

etc.

Have just resent the mail I sent last night. There’s something odd going on, maybe (for example) you once upon a time set up your email to filter and block anything from me containing a link 

In reply to planetmarshall:

> Yes. Yes I have.

> Kooooyaahhh-ni-sqaaatsiiiii.....

> etc.

Fair point! 

HakanT 27 Jul 2021
In reply to Boris's Johnson:

> South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

> Shaving Private Ryan

> Terminator: Genisys

Did you mean Shaving Ryan's Privates?

HakanT 27 Jul 2021

Bladerunner

Life of Brian

Spinal Tap

I'm sure I've never blocked you ... and I certainly haven't changed anything recently (i.e. unblocked you)

Andy Farnell 28 Jul 2021

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (slightly book related)

Star Wars

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Andy F

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...