"When just the tide went out" - Max Boyce

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Well, I may be a softee, but I think Max Boyce's coronavirus poem "When just the tide went out" is utterly beautiful and very moving. I suppose cynics will say it's a bit of a pastiche, but I think it's a perfectly judged and very finely honed piece of writing. Judging by the way it's gone viral, it has obviously got through to hundreds of thousands of people. I'm sure it'll survive for all time, and will end up in many a poetry anthology. Of course, his beautiful, musical Welsh (Swansea) accent helps a lot.

There are quite a few recordings of it on YouTube etc, none of the best (it first went out on the radio), but here's one:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=561421931155761

russellcampbell 02 May 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Probably corny but just the stuff we need just now.

In reply to russellcampbell:

Pretty much my feelings, but it's very heartfelt and well done, I think.

Blue Straggler 03 May 2020

Did you watch that movie that I posted to you some months ago ? And/or the one that I sent you a link for? You don’t seem to be replying to my emails so I will try to communicate to you on here 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

I'm sorry Blue. I've been working fantastically long hours over the last week (thanks to lockdown) trying to catch up with my very behind schedule latest book. That's why I'm mostly only talking on UKC very late at night or even in the middle of the night. Further huge pressure is a top movie director in Hollywood waiting for me to reply to some detailed questions and me having to tell him, yesterday (now), that it'll be tomorrow before I can get back to him.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

PS. I'm assuming, hoping that you intended your post as a private message or email (because it has no bearing on the thread) and sent it as a standard msg by mistake.

Blue Straggler 03 May 2020

No problem, I was just wondering/interested. I posted in this thread for the reasons given in my post on this thread  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...