What's the...Floating Points

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 19 Nov 2020

best album to buy?

Listening to FP at the Printworks 2019 on YouTube  right now.

I miss live music! 

Even though after the pandemic, I've still got my tinnitus

aln 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> I've still got my tinnitus

I've had it since last year, I don't think it ever goes away. I blame 100's of gigs, but mostly standing leaning against some huge speakers for an hour or so at a rave in Livi.

How severe do you have it? 

OP Flinticus 19 Nov 2020
In reply to aln:

I got it towards the end of last year too! Age 49.

Same reason! Lots of gigs & clubs especially in small venues with incredibly loud bands. 

Previously I had it persist for a few days after gigs but it always faded away. Maybe I always assumed that would be the case?

It wasn't bad at all until what I think was a stress induced 'panic attack' early into the first lockdown when suddenly it came to the fore of my attention while sitting at my home work desk. It waivers on a daily basis and on how occupied I am, and is concentrated in my left ear (at least that's my perception of it). Its like the hiss of waves or static mostly and means I need subtitles for the TV most of the time! 

Those empty lockdown days were difficult at first. Then I started listening to long play sounds on YouTube, like waves crashing or rain on a tent: really helped me sleep. 

Rarely notice it when at the climbing centre or with friends, or out hillwalking (if its windy, all the better!). If I'm camping I will but I bring music with me for those evenings.

lorentz 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I have it too. Mostly Metal as a teenager, then drum&bass and lately, since lockdown, metal again. 

It's caused by the hairs within the inner ear dying and lying flat causing a feedback loop. It's permanent but can be temporarily alleviated zapping the affected ear with oscillations at the same frequencies as you "hear" your tinnitus. This temporarily causes the hairs to stand up again and gives a temporary relief. 

Try this :

youtube.com/watch?v=nKo4jYDO9FQ&

aln 19 Nov 2020
In reply to lorentz:

Jeez! Are you trying to be funny? 

aln 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Mine is only in my left ear. It sounds exactly like the ringing in your ears after a gig. I'm lucky in that I don't notice it most of the time. I can hear it right now coz I'm conscious of it coz we're talking about it, but a lot of the time I don't notice it. And it doesn't keep me awake. But one of the things I hate about it, which is ironic coz I love loud music, is that I'll never hear silence again for the rest of my life. 😭😭😭

OP Flinticus 19 Nov 2020
In reply to aln:

> I'm lucky in that I don't notice it most of the time. I can hear it right now coz I'm conscious of it coz we're talking about it, but a lot of the time I don't notice it. And it doesn't keep me awake. But one of the things I hate about it, which is ironic coz I love loud music, is that I'll never hear silence again for the rest of my life. 😭😭😭

Yeah. I understand. 

I didn't really notice mine till that Road to Damascus day in Lockdown when the 'silence' became deafening. Too much introspection! If my focus is outward then it can fade below awareness. Having the motorway nearby is an unexpected bkessing as the road sounds help, along with air vents, wheels on wet roads, streams, wind, waves etc.

lorentz 19 Nov 2020
In reply to aln:

It sounds weird but the science is valid...  by bombarding the damaged hairs in your inner ear with the same frequencies that you "hear" the ringing at, it disrupts the feedback loop. The damaged hairs move back to where they should be. Provides temporary relief. Though the ringing will always comes back. 

The theory is similar to the way that active noise cancellation works, I think.

Did you try it? The sound isn't pleasant, granted, but i find the ringing stops temporarily. 

Post edited at 20:10
 aln 19 Nov 2020
In reply to lorentz:

> Did you try it?

I listened to it for a minute. It was horrible. But like I said, my tinnitus isn't that bad, it's the loss of silence I miss, I don't want another noise to replace it. I have lots more pleasant noises I can use for that. 

lorentz 19 Nov 2020
In reply to aln:

Me too. I find a loud clock ticking helps at night. Mine is only in my left ear, but because my hearing isn't good in that ear I find it hard to hear through the ringing. I miss the silence too... But I convince myself that the ringing is the music of universe, and I'm lucky enough to be one of the few that can tune into hearing it.

Post edited at 20:59
 alexm198 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I've managed to avoid the tinnitus so far, but in response to your question about FP, I think his latest (Crush) is his best work so far.

Alkis 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Even though after the pandemic, I've still got my tinnitus

Left ear has had it since the Works party last year, I doubt it's going away now. Thankfully it is not particularly noticable.

Post edited at 14:03
 Pete Dangerous 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

He's only done two albums. Get both.

Have you listened to Family Portrait by 'Ross From Friends'? That's very good, plus his other stuff. 

wercat 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

With a name like that you'd associate it with something like this ...

https://genius.com/The-british-ibm-the-british-ibm-lyrics

OP Flinticus 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Alkis:

All left ears! Wonder why?

Mine is pretty low key too but I'm cursed with one of those minds that latches onto things, like a clock ticking or something in my shoe, or a faint flashing power light when watching TV. etc. 

TechnoJim 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Mine is also left ear - it's the ear I used to cue with when I was a DJ. No guesses as to how I got tinnitus.

That Printworks set is great. The Bicep gig from Printworks is also well worth a look if you like it a bit more lively. It's a great venue, my raving days are pretty much behind me but I've done loads of work down there over the last few years. 

Post edited at 23:12
OP Flinticus 21 Nov 2020
In reply to TechnoJim:

Had been hoping to see Bicep in SWG3 venue but lockdown came in.

Not sure now what my gigging future holds as I don't want this to get worse.

TechnoJim 21 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

ACS Custom moulded earplugs are your friend dude. 

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection

And take some comfort from someone who's had it for years and years now, you will get used to it.

Definitely don't start DJ'ing furious techno though. And try not to end up in a career working with massive generators on live music events... 

Post edited at 23:31
 Jonny 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Yep, just two albums. The new one is fantastic.

He's released lots of singles and EPs though. Don't miss the Shadows EP, which has the absolute banger ARP3 on it. A subtle, growling bass courts a fluttering chord. Never gets old.

Nuits Sonores is also great—teasing high hats and a looped groove. Some of his video collaborations are amazing too: check the video for Last Bloom (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x0t1l7QeeY&).

Finally, he's a bit of a crate digger for forgotten soul and Brazilian. This set with Four Tet for the last ever night at Plastic People, which I was lucky enough to be at, is a great summary of his finds: https://soundcloud.com/floatingpoints/floating-points-four-tet-final-plasti....

Cobra_Head 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Even though after the pandemic, I've still got my tinnitus

WHAT?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...