What are you watching?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 15 May 2022

Well it's a surprise when you watch a film with no prior knowledge of what it about, but it had Russel Crowe. 90 minutes of pure adrenaline, but not one to watch if you are having a bad day!

"Unhinged" it certainly is.

Tom Valentine 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I liked it. 

magma 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

just watched Valley Uprising on redbulltv - very enjoyable.

deepsoup 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I just watched the third series of Killing Eve.  Enjoyable in a silly sort of a way, but it's well and truly jumped the shark now - not in the same league as the first series.

wilkie14c 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Re-watching Skins 

The last kingdom, if you liked vikings you’ll like this

Lastest season of Ozark is on my list

Better call Saul, being drip fed one episode a week 🫣

In reply to Sean Kelly:

I am watching "the boys" on prime. Dystopian comic book superhero stuff. The superheroes in this make the watchmen look like choir boys.

Enjoyable so far. 

Tom Valentine 15 May 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

Sad to see Ozark finish .

If it did.

I hope all the loose ends in BC Saul are tied up properly, ie the house emptying scene.

aln 15 May 2022
In reply to Presley Whippet:

It's great, stick with it. I can't wait for season 3.

Dr.S at work 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Just randomly flicked to some jubilee nonsense to see some amazing drumming from the RM and some Swiss lads - Lovely to see the old lady looking so happy.

65 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I've recently finished watching Money Heist (La Casa de Papel) on Netflix, which I enjoyed immensely.

Aside from a weekly visit to Better Call Saul and Inside No.9, I'm trying to wean myself off telly and read more.

Post edited at 22:19
 mountainbagger 15 May 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Lastest season of Ozark is on my list

> Better call Saul, being drip fed one episode a week 🫣

Snap!

ThunderCat 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

For some reason I watched the old Channel 4 series of Porterhouse Blue this morning (a very lazy Sunday morning before the hell of a kids birthday party with 22 screaming 5 year olds)

I have a real fondness for that book and the TV series

Party over now.  I got spat at by a Llama and ignored by several Alpacas

ThunderCat 15 May 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Snap!

Double snap!

I wonder what happens to Kim...

Post edited at 22:46
 ripper 15 May 2022
In reply to 65:

Re. Money Heist, it's certainly entertaining, although if being harsh I'd say things got slightly less believable from the point of Tokyo's stunt with the motorbike on the steps. Next up for us is Il Cacciatore (The Hunter), based-on-true story of an anti-mafia prosecutor in Sicily. Looking forward to the final season of Ozark, and, best of all, season 5 of Gomorrah.

Post edited at 23:05
 mountainbagger 15 May 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Double snap!

> I wonder what happens to Kim...

Yes, I'm fearful about Kim but have my fingers crossed!

Stichtplate 16 May 2022
In reply to The Thread:

counting the days for season three The Boys

keep grinding to a halt with Ozark (not sure why as it’s pretty good)

loving Saul (best season so far?)

right now: drinking a large Negroni (don’t judge me, just finished nights after a moderately trying block of 12 hour shifts) while watching The Brand New Testament (for the second time). Excellent and all is right with the world.

wercat 16 May 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I had no intention of watching that stuff but stumbled on to it and watched quite a lot of it and didn't regret it.  Lots of colour and music, and as they said more about the horses than pomp.  The RHA are always good to watch

65 16 May 2022
In reply to Stichtplate:

> The Brand New Testament (for the second time). Excellent and all is right with the world.

I loved that, it's one of a tiny number of films I continually bang on about that people absolutely must see.

65 16 May 2022
In reply to ripper:

> Re. Money Heist, it's certainly entertaining, although if being harsh I'd say things got slightly less believable from the point of Tokyo's stunt with the motorbike on the steps. Next up for us is Il Cacciatore (The Hunter), based-on-true story of an anti-mafia prosecutor in Sicily. Looking forward to the final season of Ozark, and, best of all, season 5 of Gomorrah.

The motorbike stunt was the cheesiest and most unbelievable element in the entire series. I like to think they just decided to allow themselves an OTT Hollywood flourish, though the same could be said of some of the weaponry.

Il Cacciatore looks good, I read a fantastic review of it somewhere. I'd also like to see Gomorrah as I saw the film when it came out and thought it was brilliant, very believable and captured what must be the ugly and unglamourous reality of that world.

ripper 16 May 2022
In reply to 65:

Cannot recommend Gomorrah highly enough - I think it's the best TV drama I've ever seen. Definitely no Hollywood cheese here, it's all grit and plenty of it. 

Cobra_Head 16 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

"What are you watching?"

My waistline. Not a pretty sight.

Brand New Cherry Flavour - very weird if a bit slow, a bit David Lynchy.

"I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore" is a great movie, trying to get away from series at the moment.

And for a daft, fantasy escape, "Guns Akimbo" On Amazon Prime.

Russian Doll was good for the 1st series, but tailed off a bit S2.

Post edited at 17:43
 Tom Valentine 16 May 2022
In reply to ripper:

I think it's excellent and also the spinoff feature about Ciro.

Anyone who likes Gomorrah will probably enjoy the German series 4 Blocks, similar subject in a different setting.

Also the Dutch series Undercover which has, in Ferry Boumans, one of the most likeable villain bosses I've seen.

afx22 16 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

‘Undone’ on Amazon Prime is the best thing I’ve seen for a while.

broken spectre 17 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

The Mirror reported that Operation Mincemeat is on Netflix

It isn't.

Ended up rewatching The Departed which is excellent (and gruesome but that's Scorsese for you!)

ripper 17 May 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

Not sure if the original - Infernal Affairs - is available to stream, but I much preferred it to The Departed

broken spectre 17 May 2022
In reply to ripper:

Looks great! Had no idea The Departed was a remake.

Edit: Internal Affairs isn't on Netflix but can be rented off YouTube for £3.49, one for the future.

Post edited at 14:08
 Mark Edwards 17 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I’ve recently caught up with latest series of Missions. It’s OK for a SciFi show but for me the interesting part is that it is part English and part French. My French was never great, but I could just about get by when in France (last visit about 30 years ago) and was good enough to notice occasionally when the English translation wasn’t exactly what was spoken. I regularly watched an episode and then turned off the TV and played the episode again listening via the soundbar trying to understand the (way too fast for me) conversational French. For no practical reason, but it was fun trying to exercise my rudimental understanding of French.

ThunderCat 18 May 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Double snap!

> I wonder what happens to Kim...

Well, so far so good... 

OP Sean Kelly 18 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Just started on Das Boot on Sky Atlantic. Really impressed so far, and there are 3 series to go at. An expensive production.

ben b 18 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Slow Horses, which has set me off on the Mick Herron novels. 
There are a couple of genuinely horrible moments but Gary Oldman and the rest of the cast are fabulous, it’s very funny in places, and the suspense is excruciatingly tense. 
Just close your eyes for the last minute of episode 3. 

b

Tom Valentine 19 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

How/ where do you watch this.? Started the books on my brother's recommendation.

Dave Garnett 19 May 2022
In reply to Mark Edwards:

> I’ve recently caught up with latest series of Missions. It’s OK for a SciFi show but for me the interesting part is that it is part English and part French. My French was never great, but I could just about get by when in France (last visit about 30 years ago) and was good enough to notice occasionally when the English translation wasn’t exactly what was spoken. 

Me too - it beats arguing with Duolingo!  I really liked the first series but I seem to have got lost halfway through the second.  Quite hard to work out WTF is going on even with the subtitles.

Another vote for The Boys, Karl Urban is great as Billy Butcher despite the 'f***ing diabolical' cockney-kiwi accent.

American Gods was interesting, as you would expect from Gaiman's story and Ian McShane's gurning, although it was running out of steam before it was canned at the cliffhanger (not really) end of series 3.

My best find has been The Expanse.  Excellent, intelligent, near-future space opera.  No techno-magic (teleportation, FTL drives, artificial gravity, phasers, or general purpose AI) but believable technology and politics, alien megastructures, great characters, memorable one-liners and clever linguistics. 

Tom Valentine 19 May 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Thanks for the suggestion about The Expanse. Just watched S1 Ep 1.

Very promising - in fact, it could prove to be a belter...........   

ripper 19 May 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes Expanse is great, even though I found a couple of the main characters really annoying. Others made up for it in spades though - especially Avasarala and Carmina Drummer

Dave Garnett 20 May 2022
In reply to ripper:

> Yes Expanse is great, even though I found a couple of the main characters really annoying. Others made up for it in spades though - especially Avasarala and Carmina Drummer

I like Amos, your friendly neighbourhood psychopath, Klaes Ashford the pirate with a heart of gold, and Jared Harris rather underused as Anderson Dawes, the conscience of the Belters (and he really nails the patois).

ben b 20 May 2022

It's an AppleTV thing; they offer free trials for bingeing!

The books are great aren't they - the series follows them closely so you will know exactly what's happening already but it's interesting to see the characters on screen and compare them to those in your head. 

b

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Navalny - BBC Iplayer , amazing and terrifying documentary following the Russian opposition leader during and after his poisoning with novichok by Putins regime.

Tom Valentine 20 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

Off on hols for a week, taking the third book with me, ready for a free trial when I return. 

Which books are covered, btw?

ben b 21 May 2022

Only the first two so you are on new ground  

I think the books get better as the series progresses so you should have a good holiday

b

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Just started on Das Boot on Sky Atlantic. Really impressed so far, and there are 3 series to go at. An expensive production.

Oooh thanks, I did not realise there were additional series. I watched s1 when it came out and was impressed. I still dig out the 80s dvd now and again. 

New series of love, death and robots is out, up to its usual quality. 

Wainers44 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Right now? The sun heading towards setting from St Agnes, Isle of Scilly.  

Forest Dump 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

2 episodes of Gomorrah left, feels like it needs to finish now, also glad to see the back of Ozarks, it was OK but not great.

Looking forward to the next installment of Bettter Call Saul and if ever a broken bone or period of ill-health befalls me I'd be tempted to watch the whole BCS/BB through.

On one of the Amazon prime paid channels there's a sci-fi / pandemic thing called Stations Eleven which is excellent.

As luck would.have it P-Valley, about a strip club somewhere down south in the States, is also on the same channel. 

Damn, I watch too much TV. Whatever happened to reading?!?

20 years since the The Wire was released makes me feel old..

Dax H 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

I put off and put off watching Clarkson Farm because its Clarkson but I finally took the plunge and enjoyed it.

There were a lot of forced speed power I'm a dickhead moments but once you look past those there was a lot of really interesting stuff going on. 

Forest Dump 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Snap, but thoroughly enjoyable. His young assistant stole the show

John Gresty 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

TT +

Even this tight fisted old codger was prepared to pay for this.

John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...