West Side Story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 29 Dec 2021

Steven Spielberg’s remake of West Side Story hits our screens shortly. It will be most interesting to compare with the 1961 Jerome Robbins original film based on the stage version (that was the best musical of all time), because the 1961 version was broadcast on BBC4 last night and no doubt is still available on iplayer. While I know all the songs backwards, I’d forgotten about the superb choreography of the film, which justifies the overworked adjective stunning. Highly recommended.

profitofdoom 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I agree, the 1961 film is brilliant - dancing, music, story, acting. Always worth watching IMO

graeme jackson 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I really hope spielberg hasn't f*cked this up like so many other remakes of classic movies. The 1961 version was my mum's favourite movie of all time. She passed on dec 1st aged 93 so it would be a shame if the remake doesn't live up to her standards.

Harry Jarvis 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Steven Spielberg’s remake of West Side Story hits our screens shortly. It will be most interesting to compare with the 1961 Jerome Robbins original film based on the stage version (that was the best musical of all time), because the 1961 version was broadcast on BBC4 last night and no doubt is still available on iplayer. While I know all the songs backwards, I’d forgotten about the superb choreography of the film, which justifies the overworked adjective stunning. Highly recommended.

I'm really not sure what the point of this remake is. As you say, the original is a masterpiece - especially the choreography (hard to believe you'd forgotten it!). Gifted though Spielberg is, I find it hard to believe he can improve on the original. 

Sir Chasm 29 Dec 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

How could it detract from the original? That's always there to be watched (by those who like to watch films repeatedly interrupted by song and dance routines).

Tom Valentine 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Rita Moreno said that her feet bled after so many practice takes of America. In contrast, Natalie Wood was a bonny girl but just couldn't hack it as a singer.

Pedro50 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I love the Bernstein recording with Jose Carreras and Kiri te Kanawa. 

Post edited at 17:47
 Siward 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

My daughter's review of it, as a fan of the original, was, "It was OK". Not blown away by it but worth watching she thought. 

Tom Valentine 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

And the documentary  detailing the recording of it. Carreras looks like a frightened hamster under Bernstein's baton.

Pedro50 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes "just watch my baton Jose"

Babika 29 Dec 2021

> Rita Moreno said that her feet bled after so many practice takes of America. In contrast, Natalie Wood was a bonny girl but just couldn't hack it as a singer.

I can't watch Rita Moreno now without thinking of her classic "Fever" track on The Muppets. If you've never seen it you must - its hilarious

veteye 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was going to book to see this at the local cinema, but I really think that it will be better to wait and see what happens with the pandemic current behaviour. The film will still be there when we've got past the current wave of trouble and disruption. I got the idea from early signs from Front Row on R 4, that the new version will be spiffing!

Tom Valentine 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Babika:

Hilarious, not seen that before, thanks. Reminds me a bit of the  Stan Freeberg records, a cross between Banana Boat Song and Yellow Rose of Texas.

Hat Dude 30 Dec 2021

>In contrast, Natalie Wood was a bonny girl but just couldn't hack it as a singer

Her voice was dubbed by Marni Nixon who also provided the singing for Deborah Kerr in The King and I and for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady (Though a recording exists of Audrey Hepburn singing "Wouldn't It Be Lovely" which is charming)

Marni Nixon's son was the singer songwriter Andrew Gold

Tom Valentine 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

Yes, I mentioned that in the December film thread. Possibly a bit unfair to denigrate Wood's singing, but not  as unfair as not telling her they weren't going to use her voice in the final version.

I quite like Hepburn's voice and am very glad she was allowed to sing Moon River in stead of being overdubbed. Your reference to My Fair Lady prompted me to seek out the Hepburn version and it definitely has a charm of its own, but then I found a clip of her doing I Could Have Danced All Night and she is struggling a bit there.

Post edited at 13:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...