Washboarding - anyone tried it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Clarke 09 Jun 2021

A much under-rated instrument in my opinion. I'm more a fan of the blues, jug band and Cajun styles personally - but no doubt there are plenty of skiffle connoisseurs out there. Even the Beatles found room for one in their Quarrymen days.

Slackboot 09 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

The only exponent I ever came across was Lonnie Donegan. When I lived in the Lakes I used to go to see a band called Strange Folk. Their setup included a Tea Chest Bass. Another great home sourced instrument.

Lankyman 09 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I hear it wasn't very popular at Guantanamo Bay? Sorry, I thought you meant waterboarding!

Post edited at 19:38
 65 09 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

There was a brilliant cajun band from York called The Buttermountain Boys, c.30 years back. They had an electric washboard.

Slackboot 09 Jun 2021
In reply to 65:

> There was a brilliant cajun band from York called The Buttermountain Boys, c.30 years back. They had an electric washboard.

That sounds dangerous!

Fat Bumbly2 10 Jun 2021
In reply to 65:

Judas!

cragtyke 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Washboard, washtub bass and saw feature on some of The Pine Hill Haints songs. Try the Evening Star album, great stuff.

Iamgregp 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Surely just a poor man's Guiro or Reco-reco? 

OP Andy Clarke 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Surely just a poor man's Guiro or Reco-reco? 

I can't agree there. A washboard strummed and tapped with thimbled fingers unlocks a world of rhythmic complexity, compared to some dried old fruit or a manky comb-alike hit with a  stick.

Post edited at 16:10
 Iamgregp 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I was just joking really - In all seriousness it probably does, but for some reason it falls into that category of instruments that aren't really seen as an instrument a bit doesn't it?  

Quite a lot of other instruments in that category - Kazoo, Tea Chest, Jug, Jew's Harp, Guiro, Saw, Theremin... There must be loads more.  

OP Andy Clarke 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

> I was just joking really - In all seriousness it probably does, but for some reason it falls into that category of instruments that aren't really seen as an instrument a bit doesn't it?  

> Quite a lot of other instruments in that category - Kazoo, Tea Chest, Jug, Jew's Harp, Guiro, Saw, Theremin... There must be loads more.  

My reply was tongue in cheek - but I do think such "repurposed" instruments are good fun.

felt 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Where is it then?

Holdtickler 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

now there's a board I can play! Believe it or not I managed to get some washboard into a drum and bass track many years ago. Good fun with gypsy swing stuff too.

petegunn 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Love the sound from a Jews Harp, makes your lips and teeth feel funny though!

Herdwickmatt 12 Jun 2021
In reply to petegunn: I remember my old English teacher was part of a Cajun and zydeco band - Elvis Fontenot and the sugar bees I think. They were brilliant, I think he played the washboard

Holdtickler 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Think there might be a law preventing people from living in Lancaster unless they own either a washboard, a kazoo, or some kind of boingy thing. I felt like a unique weirdo till I moved here

OP Andy Clarke 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Holdtickler:

That strikes me as an excellent example of local democracy in action. Are any of the boingy thingies electrified? Now that would be proper cutting edge. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...