Wars, French colonies, books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've read a bit recently about the aftermath of WW2 in Indochina by a chap called Kemp who served with the British, and also remember another account of the situation by a Frenchman called Moitessier who grew up there. So, I'd like to read a bit more about how things developed, ideally from first hand accounts of people who were involved in the fighting but also had knowledge of the overall political picture, not necessarily British people. So, UKC usually has someone who knows something about obscure subjects and I'm hoping for some recommendations. Can anyone recommend anything? 

Bobling 20 Jan 2022
In reply to wurzelinzummerset:

Hullo Wurzle, hope you are ticking along OK.  Not sure if it's quite what you are after but "Street without Joy" and "Hell in a Very Small Place" are both very good accounts of the French experience in Vietnam.  Other end of the spectrum is "The Devil's Guard", a memoir of dubious veracity allegedly about an SS man who joined the Foreign Legion after the end of WW2 and headed off promptly to Indochina to fight there. 

Dutch Maori 21 Jan 2022

"The last valley" by Martin Windrow, a very good easy read, describes the difficult political situation the French military faced, and the difficulties they faced in fighting a war in Indochina. Also why the Vietnamese people were really suited for communism.

Sean Kelly 21 Jan 2022

There was a book, the Cresent & the Cross about the French in North Africa is a good read.

In reply to Bobling:

All good, thanks. Hope you're keeping well, too. I will check out those books. The last one looks particularly interesting, although it's unfortunate that it's not considered a genuine account. I'm currently reading one about a chap who fought in Rhodesia in the 60s/70s so will order the one you recommended for when I'm finished.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> There was a book, the Cresent & the Cross about the French in North Africa is a good read.

Have you any more details? Had a quick google but the words in the title are obviously used a lot.

Sean Kelly 21 Jan 2022

I've got the title back to front. It should read The Cross & the Crescent. Sorry.

In reply to Dutch Maori:

Thanks, I will take a look.

rogerwebb 21 Jan 2022

The Twenty Five Year Century by Lam Quang Thi

He fought for the French and later the Republic of South Vietnam. 

Post edited at 21:03
 Bobling 21 Jan 2022

Yeah all good apart from the COVIDS currently in our household thank you.  Not so much climbing these days.  If you are interested in that sort of thing then I can't recomend highly enough Simon Murray's "Legionnaire".  I've read that four or five times I think and it's fantastic every time, very interesting view of the almost coup against the de Gaulle French Government which led to the dissolution of the "1er régiment étranger de parachutistes".  Ahh to be young again and throw it all away to go and join the Legion!

Murray himself is (was?) an interesting chap, last heard of him attempting to found some sort of international mercenary navy to provide security against the Somalian pirates.

Post edited at 21:16
 mbh 22 Jan 2022

France's relationship with Algeria and the Arab world in general is similarly interesting. There are lots of books on this, for example Alastair Horne's A Savage War of Peace on the Algerian war of independence, and Andrew Hussey's The French Intifada, about how the legacy of the colonial past rumbles on in the suburbs.

For French Indo-China, you could do worse than read Graham Greene's The Quiet American.

In reply to Bobling:

> ...If you are interested in that sort of thing then I can't recomend highly enough Simon Murray's "Legionnaire".  I've read that four or five times I think and it's fantastic every time...

Well, that sounds worth reading. I will put that on my list, too. I do like the first hand accounts from people who've actually lived and experienced something. I've recently read three books by a chap called Kemp who travelled from England to join the Spanish Nationalists as a youngster in their civil war, then worked for the British behind enemy lines in eastern Europe during ww2 and ended up in the Pacific at the Japanese surrender. There was some action in the books to liven things up, but also lots of interesting information about the cultures of the people he was working alongside, and the politics of the situations which made the books a good read.

I'll add, to give political balance, that I also read Laurie Lee's account of fighting for the Republicans in the Spanish war, not just Kemp's with the Nationalists. You've probably read them, but if not they are worth the time.

In reply to mbh:

> France's relationship with Algeria and the Arab world in general is similarly interesting. There are lots of books on this, for example Alastair Horne's A Savage War of Peace on the Algerian war of independence, and Andrew Hussey's The French Intifada, about how the legacy of the colonial past rumbles on in the suburbs.

> For French Indo-China, you could do worse than read Graham Greene's The Quiet American.

Thanks, I will check those out. Regarding Algeria/France I've read a lot of French books the last few years, and that subject often comes up indirectly in various ways, so I'm aware it's quite a significant for French society, but my knowledge is limited. I will take a look at the books you recommend.

In reply to rogerwebb:

Thanks, I will take a look.

RX-78 22 Jan 2022

Have you read As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (1969 by Laurie Lee? I loved that book, it would be great to forget it and then reread it for the first time!

In reply to RX-78:

> Have you read As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (1969 by Laurie Lee? I loved that book, it would be great to forget it and then reread it for the first time!

I agree it was good, I read it before his civil war book. Have you read Patrick Leigh Fermor's books about his travels across Europe? The first one is A Time of Gifts. Same sort of time as Lee's journey, but across eastern Europe. So, just before ww2. They are heavier going on the reading than Lee's books, but packed with some great descriptions of the places he visited and people he met. I read these before Lee's books, then googled for similar and came up with Laurie Lee, who I was aware of from English lessons at school and Cider with Rosie, but knew nothing of his other books.

rogerwebb 22 Jan 2022

Coincidentally I am reading Kemp's books . He certainly made me question some of my assumptions about the Spanish Civil War. 

You might also be interested in 'The Sorrow of War' by Bao Ninh. About the American war but gives good background and a view that isn't necessarily the expected one. 

Post edited at 20:59
 RX-78 22 Jan 2022

Yes, read A time of gifts, such a different world then, really shows how Europe changed over the first half of the 20th century.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...