Wagner's Ring Cycle - Radio 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 27 Feb 2021

I've always been a fan of Wagner since my Mum and Dad gave me a 'best of' tape for Christmas one year when I was young.  The Christmas classical music tape was normally just above new pants for excitement factor but I took to this one.  At the time with a film viewing reel of "Apocalypse Now" ( youtube.com/watch?v=nuvSA0rLiiA&) and "Excalibur" ( youtube.com/watch?v=7Ll4qS4anGo& - gore warning! Arthur and Mordred die messily) I was already half way there I suppose.  I've cherry picked ever since, but never listened to whole works at a time.

A week or two back Radio 3 rebroadcast the entire Ring Cycle from 2018.  It's here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000svrs.   There's not been too many positives from COVID but working in an office by myself I have been listening to Radio 3 quite a bit, and I think this has been a unique opportunity to listen to the whole work in a way which I don't think I would have been able to in normal times.  I have listened to bits I have never heard before (the last ten minutes of Die Walkure were particularly engaging  youtube.com/watch?v=3sB_-rxMtAM&), and heard themes and motifs picked out which re-occur elsewhere.  It's very good for working as it slips in at just the right subconscious level of listening for me.

It's also notable for Tom Service achieving peak Radio 3 breathy excitement in the introductions and conclusions.  There's a peculiar tone that the announcers use for Radio 3 live concerts which strongly reminds me of my dad listening to them on summer evenings when I was young.

So what do you think UKC, is the opportunity to listen to the entire Ring Cycle a COVID pro or con?  Heaven or Hell? Perhaps one day I'll be able to travel to Bayreuth for the Wagner festival and watch it staged over four nights.  One can but dream!

Myfyr Tomos 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Bobling:

During a wet Period in November I painted all the internal woodwork in the house. Listening to the complete Solti Ring cycle kept me going. Heaven!

Post edited at 18:53
 Toccata 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Also a Georg Solti fan and pushed through all 4 one Saturday while building a garage. Glorious and still the finest Gotterdammerung. 

Myfyr Tomos 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Toccata:

Yes, have to agree. Repeated the Gotterdammerung - glutton for punishment, but Birgit Nilsson...

In reply to Bobling:

I'm afraid agree with whoever said that Wagner has wonderful moments but terrible half-hours.

Matt Podd 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Yes, reminded me that I am not a fan of Wagner! There are some good bits, but overall not for me.

I remember being stuck in a hotel room in Amman, after being bumped off a flight back from a climbing trip to Jordan in the early 90's and the only English Tele was a biopic of Wagner. Not bad though that may be due to the bottle of Lebanese wine.

veteye 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Bobling:

I'd take the ride in a Sikorsky most times over going to Bayreuth. 

I fine opera strange at times, such as right now on R 3 Alice Coot is playing Prince Charming, and no I'm not bringing up any gender arguments other than the simple role reversal.. 

Plus Joseph Conrad (Heart of Darkness) offers me more than Wagner.

I did buy a last minute ticket to see Tosca, for a lowly price, in 2019 at the Royal Opera House,and actually enjoyed that, so not totally against opera.

Blue Straggler 27 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

> I'd take the ride in a Sikorsky most times over going to Bayreuth. 

Do you mean the Huey or am I missing an altogether more highbrow reference? 

OP Bobling 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Thing is I still don't a bloody clue what's going on : )

Andy Clarke 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Bobling:

> So what do you think UKC, is the opportunity to listen to the entire Ring Cycle a COVID pro or con?  Heaven or Hell? 

Valhalla.

veteye 27 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The ubiquitous US Army one, whose number I forget just now, as seen in Apocalypse Now with the Ride of the Valkyries playing over the group's speakers as they mount a raid.

Post edited at 00:01
 Blue Straggler 28 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

I wrote a reply to this but somehow it got lost

It was a longer version of: they are Hueys (a nickname) by thanks for your posts as they did remind me that Sikorsky is an American and not Russian/Soviet manufacturer 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...