Universe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

If you haven't seen it and if you like that kind of thing, you should check out Universe, the new BBC 5-parter with the housewive's favourite braincrush, Prof Cox.

Ive binged-watched and whilst his objective is to explain the cosmis in a user-friendly  way, it's sciency enough for some of the more nerdy contingent.

Ive just finished the last one, about 'the Big Bang and what was before' is utterly mind bending, and this is compared to other mind bending stuff, like the black hole episode.

Great telly for a wet, dark afternoon.

(I have so many other questions I wouldn't know where to start)

Post edited at 15:43
 robert-hutton 04 Dec 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

It's good but why does he talk sooooo slow, it makes unwatchable.

hang_about 04 Dec 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

I normally love this sort of stuff, and liked his previous programmes, but I feel the same about the speed. Kept giving up after 20 min as the information came out at a treacle pace between pictures of him standing in different places. Needed 30% cutting or 30% more info.

In reply to hang_about:

Strange. I liked the pace which, together with the amazing real photography and spectacular artist impression, made for a great experience.

Would someone explain something. The pictures of the various nebulae taken by the Hubble ST; are they actual, real images or is there some artistic licence?

elliot.baker 04 Dec 2021

I think they’re real but the wavelengths of EM radiation have been compressed into what we see as colours, and they are long exposure?? Perhaps? I’ve made that up completely but it’s what I’ve always assumed. 

I don’t think if you could have a pair of binoculars with that much zoom and hold them steady you’d see those exact colours with your eyes -  but happy to be educated and corrected! 😆 

Lankyman 04 Dec 2021

Yes, I do like the Prof's telly stuff. What struck me quite a lot about this latest series is how it's almost mystical in places, almost religious. I'm sure there is an awful lot of powerful maths behind the ideas but even he admits to not understanding what's being presented at times (so we must take this on trust/have faith). In particular, the probable fate of super massive black holes and all the matter which they have captured. If I followed him correctly, all the information that could describe the matter will not just disappear out of our universe but could be brought back into existence when the black hole evaporates to about half its mass. I'm having salmon for dinner.

In reply to Lankyman:

> Yes, I do like the Prof's telly stuff. What struck me quite a lot about this latest series is how it's almost mystical in places, almost religious. I'm sure there is an awful lot of powerful maths behind the ideas but even he admits to not understanding what's being presented at times (so we must take this on trust/have faith).

I feel that too, and the music further emphasised it.

> I'm having salmon for dinner.

Enjoy, Im going out for tapas and a bucket load of red wine with my bro and the ladies.

Offwidth 04 Dec 2021

I have a feature on my new V box which increases playback of recordings by about 20%. I have to admit I sped him up a few times when he was talking and went back to normal pace with some of the more amazing visuals.  I'd strongly recommend it as well.

Maggot 04 Dec 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

> It's good but why does he talk sooooo slow, it makes unwatchable.

Padding. Got to stretch it out for an hour.

One of the episodes, it was getting on for 10 minutes in before anything factual was mentioned.  It's all about the visuals, which are quite good.

In reply to Maggot:

That's one of the great limitations of television. It typically has too much time to tell a story. Budgeting and programming considerations encourage documentaries and drama alike to be spun out with, as you say, padding. It's the opposite of what the medium - well, certainly what the film medium is all about, which is timing, relentless precision, and concision.

Lankyman 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Have there been any studies done to compare similar genres of TV programmes over the years? I like the stuff Michael Wood (historian) puts out but I think much documentary TV material today is far less 'highbrow' than in the past. Then again, I did enjoy Terry Jones's historical series and Valdemar Janusczak thought-provoking programmes. I suppose when you have a significant proportion of the population who'll believe any old cr@p, anything that tries to get the true picture across has to be applauded.

Dave Garnett 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> I suppose when you have a significant proportion of the population who'll believe any old cr@p, anything that tries to get the true picture across has to be applauded.

I completely agree, but for science based programmes I’d prefer something at a slightly higher baud rate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...