Unfathomable????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 10 Sep 2018

So I watched a few documentaries on YT this w/end and one [plus a link to a 2nd] have me stumped:

The Baalbeck Stones:

These are in Lebanon and named the Trilathon Stones. Each are 70' long and 14' x 10' and perfectly carved almost as flat as a billiard table. It was established they were carved about 800m away and transported Up hill and lifted into position some 30' above the ground.

Now my conundrums are: These date back hundreds if not thousands of years before diamond-tipped concrete saws and modern crawler cranes were invented and also pre-date the first rudimentary block & tackle crane invented by the Romans by some 300yrs. The largest known block of stone lifted by the Romans weighs approximately 6t so how on earth were innumerable other blocks weighing up to 800t A/ Carved, B/ transported and C/ lifted???

The half-conclusion in the first doco put it down to a previous civilization - aliens if you will - the second thought every inanimate object has a unique audio 'resonance' and if enough people surround it and hum a B-flat or a C-sharp etc it'll react and can be transported floating above the ground!

The theory of mass human slavery with ropes and rolling logs 'failed the question test' as did the use of bovines as it would've taken a speculated 800 of the beasts plus I don't believe any hemp rope back then could've worked ....

Thoughts from the house please?

Ta,

Andy [stumped] P.

bensilvestre 10 Sep 2018
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Previous human civilisation? Concievable that they might have invented their own block and tackle style thing which was then lost to the ages. Don't see why they have to make a jump to aliens. Were they unsure how long these stones had been there then? 

ThunderCat 10 Sep 2018

The moment a documentary suggests aliens as a answer,  is usually the moment I switch off.

And if the second proposed 'solution' ws correct, it should be repeatable and demonstrateable,  surely? 

I'm not pretending for a second that I have an answer... But thats no reason to descend into woo woo....

Maybe it was dinosaurs? 

Post edited at 06:12
 john arran 10 Sep 2018

> "It was established they were carved about 800m away and transported Up hill and lifted into position some 30' above the ground."

From your description this is where I'd look first for a solution to the conundrum. 

Bulls Crack 10 Sep 2018

The 'unfathomable ' bit is why the programmes can get away with being called documentaries! 

Lurking Dave 10 Sep 2018

Transport and lifting = Rollers,  gentle incline, slaves, persuasion.

Carving... no idea.

LD

Gone 10 Sep 2018

Try this explanation: http://drmsh.com/transporting-trilithon-stones-baalbek-applied-physics-anci...

a hundred people and capstans, dragging rather than lifting. Start applying the force gradually to the hemp ropes so they won’t break.

Perfectly carved: stonemasons who were good at their job. They would have been better with basic tools than modern stonemasons.

The Russians transported a bigger stone for an 18th century statue plinth, and their tech wasn’t that much better then. We know that wasn’t aliens.

Toby_W 10 Sep 2018

This might help, they guy has loads of videos of him moving and setting stones up to the size of the ones at Stonehenge.  

youtube.com/watch?v=_mRrB33wvGk&

Cheers

Toby

Post edited at 09:44
 krikoman 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Gone:

> Perfectly carved: stonemasons who were good at their job. They would have been better with basic tools than modern stonemasons.

You only need to look at South American stonework to see this, all done without metal tools.

planetmarshall 10 Sep 2018

> The half-conclusion in the first doco put it down to a previous civilization - aliens if you will

Seems odd that a civillization capable of interstellar travel would content itself with hoofing a few stone blocks around. Maybe if they'd been made from some as-yet-unidentified alloy with "Aliens were here" carved in the dominant language of the day.

Removed User 10 Sep 2018

I don't see why it is thought impossible to assemble several hundred oxes or horses to drag the stones. After all ancient armies had cavalry divisions that numbered thousands.

Oh yes, our own ancestors got the Stonehenge stones all the way from Wales to Salisbury.

Maybe these aliens just visit earth every thousand years or so. Move some big stones around and then disappear again.

Gone 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed User:

> Maybe these aliens just visit earth every thousand years or so. Move some big stones around and then disappear again.

We aren’t even pawns in somebody else’s chess game. We are the equivalent of the bacteria inhabiting the chess board between the pieces.

IJL99 10 Sep 2018

These programmes seem to all follow a similar line, find something that can't be explained and then try and explain that Aliens did it.  The correct answer of course is "I don't know, it can't be explained maybe someone will work it out one day"  I can't explain where all the tea spoons have gone or the existence of Jacob Rees-Mogg but I don't thinks aliens were involved in either case

In reply to ThunderCat:

> Maybe it was dinosaurs? 

It was the Goa'uld.  This was extensively researched by Dr Daniel Jackson and Prof Paul Langford.

Tringa 10 Sep 2018
In reply to IJL99:

> These programmes seem to all follow a similar line, find something that can't be explained and then try and explain that Aliens did it.  The correct answer of course is "I don't know, it can't be explained maybe someone will work it out one day"  I can't explain where all the tea spoons have gone or the existence of Jacob Rees-Mogg but I don't thinks aliens were involved in either case

Have to disagree about J R-M. Aliens arrived in the late 19th or early 20th century and used a typical upper class gent as their model. While attempting to insert their model into British society there was a rift in time and Jacob ended up in the present.

Dave 

OP AP Melbourne 11 Sep 2018
In reply to all:

Well FFS sake, seriously! I only threw the question in to garner everyone's educated opinions so who - come on, fess up - was the f*kn anonymous numpty that gave it a dislike straight off the bat?

Of course, I wasn't saying it was aliens - nor singing pitch perfect and the answers may well be found in the non-numpty YT links above.

Was only askin' like so'll start a new one and no numpties this time please.

Ta.

AP.

profitofdoom 11 Sep 2018

> The Baalbeck Stones:--- carved about 800m away and transported Up hill and lifted into position some 30' above the ground. --- date back hundreds if not thousands of years before diamond-tipped concrete saws and modern crawler cranes were invented --- Thoughts from the house please?

The population of Easter Island moved some of their giant statues a lot further than that and made them stand up. There's a lot of research on that - might help

Toby_W 11 Sep 2018

Stone him.

you know what this place is like ????

Cheers

Toby

Toby_W 11 Sep 2018
In reply to AP Melbourne: there is supposed to be a crying laughter face but I got ???? Instead.

toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...