Una Stubbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 12 Aug 2021
Thread moved from Off Belay to Culture Bunker

I've just seen that Una Stubbs has died, she was 84.

Through repeats of Summer Holiday and weekly episodes of Give Us A Clue and Worzel Gummidge, she seemed like a significant part of my childhood.

I didn't realise that she was the great granddaughter of Ebenezer Howard, the father of the Garden Cities movement. A significant influence on my academic and career direction.

Sad when someone who brought lots of enjoyment to people's lives dies, but it was more co-incidence of the connection and its relevance to me that prompted me to post.

Pedro50 12 Aug 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

Sad of course however I do feel that "Till Death us do Part" was one of the most unpleasant programmes ever broadcast; not her fault of course, a product of its time. 

> I didn't realise that she was the great granddaughter of Ebenezer Howard, the father of the Garden Cities movement. A significant influence on my academic and career direction.

Life is full of these interesting connections. Another is that Tony Blair married Cherie, one of Tony Booth's daughters. Tony Booth starred in Till Death Us Do Part alongside Una Stubbs.

OP The New NickB 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Misunderstood more than anything I think. Garnett was supposed to by a figure of mockery, but became admired by those whom the character was mocking.

65 12 Aug 2021

Sad news, she was definitely a figure in the background of my childhood in the same way that John Noakes was. A good age though.

Til Death Do Us Part was banned in our house, my Mum didn't like the swearing and my Dad didn't like the racism, though he did get that it was a satire. I watched it a lot in my early 20s and thought it was brilliant, but never saw it again until Warren Mitchell died. I was working away at the time and a young colleague who'd never heard of him asked me about the show, so in the evening I played a couple of episodes on youtube. Jesus wept. I'd forgotten quite how horrendous the character of Alf Garnett was. My young colleague was stunned into disbelief that it had been on mainstream telly. I still think it's brilliant, but I'm not sure I have the stomach to watch it again.

David Riley 12 Aug 2021

While we are better off not having Alf Garnett on tv.  We are worse off that it would be a problem.

I liked Una Stubbs.

Jonny Speight (writer of "till death..." ) always insisted that Garnett was the buffoon to be laughed at, rather than it being a documentary.

ThunderCat 12 Aug 2021

Loved her as Aunt Sally but absolutely despised that character as a kid for the way she treated poor Worzel.

One of my favourite childhood programmes. I always hoped that she would chill out a bit and settle down and be happy with a cup of tea and slice of cake with Wurz. 

Rob Exile Ward 12 Aug 2021

She was great - I can still see her in Summer Holiday, excitedly deciding to accept Cliffs offer of a lift in his London Transport bus - and that's 60 years ago.

And Till Death was great too... whatever Speight might have said, there was more than a touch of affection for the characters, whatever their failings. A bit like the Royle Family.

NorthernGrit 13 Aug 2021
In reply to The worst job I ever had:

As did Warren Mitchell. I think the problem is that (a bit like Al Murray in more recent years) no matter how strong and clever the satire, they were well aware that it was being lapped up by people who didn’t treat it as such and were happy to take that piece of silver.

Darron 13 Aug 2021

‘Till death us do part certainly educated me about how bigoted and racist some people could be. Even as a 14 yr old I never saw Alf as anything but that. Never offended by it as I could  see what a total tosser he was. Public information programming😊.

Babika 13 Aug 2021

I was so pleased when she turned up in Sherlock. Fabulous when a talented actor gets a chance to shine in contemporary stuff despite their age. 

I always hoped she'd appear in each episode 

deepsoup 13 Aug 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> (a bit like Al Murray in more recent years)

See also: Harry Enfield's "Loadsamoney".  There's probably even a sad case out there somewhere who thinks Alan Partridge is a role model.

JimR 14 Aug 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I was in love with una Stubbs for many years! Warren mitchel nailed the the intolerant racist and I have the deepest sympathy for those who didn’t see the satire  condemning bigotry 

FactorXXX 14 Aug 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> See also: Harry Enfield's "Loadsamoney".  There's probably even a sad case out there somewhere who thinks Alan Partridge is a role model.

I think that's so far fetched that it's bordering on the ridiculous. 

Duncan Bourne 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

"Till Death us do part" was definitely a comment on the times with the character of Alf Garnett (play by Jewish Warren Mitchell who had an interesting take on it here.

https://www.thejc.com/culture/tv/i-fear-more-laughed-with-alf-garnett-than-...

"I once put this to Mitchell. Clearly, I was not the first. "Look," he said, not bothering to hide his irritation, "you can't help it if people are idiots. I had a bloke come up to me one day and say, 'I love that show of yours Alf, especially when you have a go at the coons.' I said, 'Actually, we're having a go at bastards like you.'"

Racism on TV was common at the time programmes like "Love thy neighbour" poked fun at it while others like "Mind your language" and the comediens only re-enforced the stereotypes. Remember the Black and White minstral show? And as for casual sexism well....

Pedro50 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

You are probably correct. I was young when I saw it and may have missed the irony. It just left an unpleasant taste.

Andy Gamisou 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> "Till Death us do part" was definitely a comment on the times with the character of Alf Garnett (play by Jewish Warren Mitchell who had an interesting take on it here.

Even watching as a kid it was obvious that the programme was having a go at bigots not supporting their views.  It's a shame the messaging was widely (I'd suggest willfully) misinterpreted. It at least got people talking about the topics raised. 

Andy Gamisou 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> You are probably correct. I was young when I saw it and may have missed the irony. It just left an unpleasant taste.

I think that was the whole point really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...