/ Turn it off - I just don't see it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Wild Scallion 14 Oct 2019

Morning , 

Here's a thread that I'm sure will get me dislikes ,  not that it really matters.

Kate Tempest

WFT are people thinking ?

She's terrible , I actually have to turn the radio off while she's on.

Her poetry is rubbish , her delivery is weak, she sounds like she's about to cry on every line .  Oh god its dire 

I just fail to see why she's so coveted .

I can't be the only one surely 

Anyone else feel the same ?

Post edited at 08:21
6
TomGB 14 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

Correct she is cringeworthy. The faux 'street' accent, the breathy delivery, the trite content. Not a fan. 

1
toad 14 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

What ive heard of her is very good. I dont get on with her writing, but i really enjoyed let them eat chaos and i loved the central conceit of it being a microcosm of life at 4.18am on one street. Havent really heard the latest album. Those that have say itsa bit.... too intimate

Can't please everyone. 

In reply to The Wild Scallion:

I like the single 'Europe is lost' once you can get past the short introduction. Heard her interviewed, seems very nice - ye big bullies ;-) 

Blue Straggler 14 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

Listen to She Drew The Gun. 

Similar passionate anti-establishment rhetoric but backed up with very good music. 

MikeSP 14 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I guess your talking about the remix of people's faces. I think the original is much better, the reason mix is too fast and it ruins the delivery imo.

Circles from everybody down is still one of my favourite songs, it's such a good representation of the seasons of the mind.

DubyaJamesDubya 14 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

She's a rarity. She does what she does with passion and without irony, she puts it out there so that cynics can have a go and deride her. I'm not a huge fan of all she has done but have been very impressed by her.

Blue Straggler 14 Oct 2019
In reply to MikeSP:

No, I meant the general output of the band She Drew the Gun, as a whole. 

I don't know these remixes, are they SDtG remixes of Kate Tempest or something?

I am not familiar with Kate Tempest's actual song titles, I've heard her here and there and saw her at Blue Dot this year and I think what she is doing is admirable, deserves huge respect,  and musically it's "kind of" good, but I wouldn't want to listen to more than 15 minutes of it continuously. It's a bit like how someone once described a Ken Loach film as being battered over the head for 2 hours by a giant cartoon anti-capitalist left-wing frying pan. I think she is vital for the younger generation but I am middle aged and I've seen this musical polemic 25 years ago and I don't need a second dose unless - like with She Drew the Gun - there is good accessible melodic indie-pop to go along with it. 

Blue Straggler 14 Oct 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> She's a rarity. She does what she does with passion and without irony, she puts it out there so that cynics can have a go and deride her. I'm not a huge fan of all she has done but have been very impressed by her.

You said what I was trying to say, but far more concisely!

planetmarshall 14 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> Morning , 

> Here's a thread that I'm sure will get me dislikes ,  not that it really matters.

> Kate Tempest

> WFT are people thinking ?

> She's terrible , I actually have to turn the radio off while she's on.

You are incorrect, she's fantastic.

1
MikeSP 14 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Opps the reply was meant for the op.

Think i agree with you on the left wing frying pan.

I don't get on with she drew the gun though, the lyrics may be good but I just can't get through the music, I find it too bland and the mumbled lyric just blend into the background. Can't please everyone.

Blue Straggler 14 Oct 2019
In reply to MikeSP:

> I don't get on with she drew the gun though, the lyrics may be good but I just can't get through the music, I find it too bland and the mumbled lyric just blend into the background. Can't please everyone.

Not every song is a belter, to be honest, and I didn't claim that the music was particularly cutting edge, indeed almost the opposite with being "accessible"

I think this is a good one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0pGhnb2Vo

They are very very good live and Louisa is extremely engaging (saw them at Blue Dot as well - by comparison, Kate Tempest was taking it all - and herself - a bit TOO seriously. I know that is a silly comment when someone is being passionate about "political stuff" but it just wasn't very "festivally" and I think the crowd was mostly of the same opinion after 20 minutes of polemic )
 

Blue Straggler 14 Oct 2019
In reply to MikeSP:

Barely any music here, and certainly no mumbling. In fact this one is a bit closer to Kate Tempest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwSfVFYewI8

MikeSP 14 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Cheers, I'll have a listen.

I saw KT at Blue dot too and thought she was very good, but I was right at the front.

If you want to try her without the left wing frying pan try her first album (everybody down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BQBOUnF0So

Fishmate 14 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

I'd never heard of her prior to this thread, so no axe to swing on the matter. I listened to the link provided by Blue Straggler and found the music dull, repetitive and unimaginative. The lyrics conveyed the emotional content, perspective and life experience of an averagely intelligent teenager. Three minutes lost.. each to their own, I guess!

2
Blue Straggler 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Fishmate:

My links were nothing to do with Kate Tempest. Just in case there has been any confusion I thought this worth mentioning 

Blue Straggler 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Fishmate:

> The lyrics conveyed the emotional content, perspective and life experience of an averagely intelligent teenager.


I'll grant you that. But maybe it's worth considering that the target market is probably the averagely intelligent teenager, rather than the jaded highbrow intellectual elite literati of the UKC forums

1
Iamgregp 15 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

Yeah not a fan meself.  It's all a bit 6th form performing arts project for me...

1
The Wild Scallion 15 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

I'm glad it's just not me then .

I'm sure she's a nice fine person.  I don't mean to upset anyone .

I just fail to see why she's so applauded .

Fishmate 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

In which case, I apologise to those I incorrectly offended. Thanks for the steer

I'll make the effort to discover and comment or not on the OP. It was late and I'd been crushing..... poorly.

Fishmate 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I'll grant you that. But maybe it's worth considering that the target market is probably the averagely intelligent teenager, rather than the jaded highbrow intellectual elite literati of the UKC forums


Understood, although I'm not beyond learning from teenagers. It would appear I have to when climbing 🙃

Andy Clarke 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I'll grant you that. But maybe it's worth considering that the target market is probably the averagely intelligent teenager, rather than the jaded highbrow intellectual elite literati of the UKC forums

I think when it comes to literature the majority UKC brow is pretty firmly in the middle. Never a lot of love for modernism on here - and you'd think 100 years would be enough time for people to get over the shock of the new. I think I've only ever come across one other person who is aware that Gravity's Rainbow is the greatest post-war novel in English.  Sigh.

1
Fishmate 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> Never a lot of love for modernism on here - and you'd think 100 years would be enough time for people to get over the shock of the new.

I wont argue with that per se.

I do think some like myself get tired of seeing/hearing people reiterating what's been said before in the belief they are opening the worlds eyes. If she cared that much about music, she might have been aware of its history and attempted something original. I do accept that is harder as the years pass.

Blue Straggler 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Fishmate:

are you on about Kate Tempest, or She Drew The Gun?

> reiterating what's been said before in the belief they are opening the worlds eyes. If she cared that much about music, she might have been aware of its history and attempted something original. I do accept that is harder as the years pass.

Fishmate 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

She drew the gun.. I was responding to Andy Clarke's comment to you, re: UKC attitudes. I haven't had the chance to give KT a fair listen yet..

Post edited at 17:34
BnB 21 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> Morning , 

> Here's a thread that I'm sure will get me dislikes ,  not that it really matters.

> Kate Tempest

> WFT are people thinking ?

> She's terrible , I actually have to turn the radio off while she's on.

> Her poetry is rubbish , her delivery is weak, she sounds like she's about to cry on every line .  Oh god its dire 

> I just fail to see why she's so coveted .

> I can't be the only one surely 

> Anyone else feel the same ?

KT is simply brilliant. It isn’t a nice sound that she makes and that’s the point. She’s one of the most important voices today. I’ve seen her at a few festivals and her act is always the best received. She’s also redefined what a pop star looks like.

if you don’t want to be challenged there’s always Adele’s forthcoming album “51” out in a couple of decades.

2
The Wild Scallion 22 Oct 2019
In reply to BnB:

> KT is simply brilliant. It isn’t a nice sound that she makes and that’s the point. She’s one of the most important voices today. I’ve seen her at a few festivals and her act is always the best received. She’s also redefined what a pop star looks like.

> if you don’t want to be challenged there’s always Adele’s forthcoming album “51” out in a couple of decades.

That's hilarious. 

😄 I prefer the safety of nursery rhymes personally.  So you would think I'd be a fan.  

Good morning

1
lorentz 23 Oct 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

I'm the same. The radio goes off every time she comes on 6Music. I quite liked her earlier stuff (I go round in circles, not graceful, not like dancers etc) but the stuff on at the 6Music playlist is derivative, cringe inducing twaddle. As others have said above It's so 6th form, save-the-world, worthy.

If Adrian Mole was a Rapper he'd sound like Kate Tempest. Shame as I used to like her earlier stuff, as I say.

Post edited at 11:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.