Top Gun Maverick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 04 Jul 2022

Saw this last night and it excelled expectations even if I was feeling pretty goosed after work.

Watch it at the cinema if you get the chance!

BattyMilk 04 Jul 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

Also loved it. I can’t work out if it’s because of the nostalgia bomb or because it’s genuinely a great film. Either way, I’ve not enjoyed a film as much in a very long time

Saw it a week ago.  I think if you saw the original when it came out it gives an emotional context to what you see. This is also a true sequel.  Plus knowing that’s it not all CGI, that pretty much all you see is real flying, makes it so much more engrossing.

In reply to Currently Resting:

Went to see it with the guy who I saw the original with on VHS when we were both about 8. He's in a wheelchair these days after a motorcycle accident, I think he enjoyed it too.

Honestly, one of the best things in Maverick (and there's a lot to chose from!) is the bell in the opening music. I'm also in favour of the theme that older people have stuff to offer the world too.

JamButty 04 Jul 2022

I rewatched the original a week before the new one,  even though I've seen it many times.

Loved Maverick thought it had a great balance of the original and updated storyline.

Using lots of the original soundtrack was also a great idea.

Sad but also great to have Val Kilmer in it.

Post edited at 13:00
 ShortLock 04 Jul 2022

Goosed :'( 

Yanis Nayu 04 Jul 2022
In reply to BattyMilk:

> Also loved it. I can’t work out if it’s because of the nostalgia bomb or because it’s genuinely a great film. Either way, I’ve not enjoyed a film as much in a very long time

I think it’s both. 

LastBoyScout 04 Jul 2022
In reply to JamButty:

> I rewatched the original a week before the new one, even though I've seen it many times.

I could probably still quote most of the script

> Loved Maverick thought it had a great balance of the original and updated storyline.

> Using lots of the original soundtrack was also a great idea.

Still one of my favourite soundtrack albums - there's some great songs in there.

> Sad but also great to have Val Kilmer in it.

Graeme Hammond 04 Jul 2022

Thought I was going to dislike it as it wouldn't live up to the iconic original. In the end I was actually disappointed as because large parts of the film were near exact remakes from the original film. Not enough originality in the end made it watch like a remake with a twist than a sequel. Disappointed. 

deacondeacon 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I loved it! I was groaning at the cheesiness of it for the first five minutes, but then succumbed and slipped into a state of warm nostalgic joy.

...and yes, I gave you a dislike 😅

Welsh Kate 04 Jul 2022

Been waiting 36 years for this movie, and loved it! I didn't need to see the original because like the boy scout, I could still quote large parts of the script. I did think the plot was channelling both 633 Squadron and Star Wars ep. IV at times, but that didn't matter. Def one to see at a big movie theatre.

Niall_H 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I enjoyed the way that the mission profile was very much how 633 Squadron had planned for things to go, and that kept my alertness up for Things Going Wrong (especially in the training), given how devil-may-care 633 was about casualties

Of course, I then had the fun of explaining 633 Squadron to the rest of my movie group (mainly in their mid 30s...)

Oh, and it had mountains!

IMO a fine movie (and certainly one for the big screen). 

Offwidth 05 Jul 2022

Watched it last night and enjoyed it. I'd still have to say claiming it is anything like a great film is a massive stretch. It's mainly a nostalgia bomb for an appreciative audience of the original. To be fair the closely repeated themes didn't grate with me  (like those in 'cashing-in' sequels and highly unoriginal  plots normally do), but it was too slow paced and rather telescoped in the first half  (after a good opening). It improved in the second half: even though the raid was ridiculously contrived (and annoyingly against an unstated enemy), the final action scenes were very well done. Highly recommended for fans of the original.

Post edited at 08:29
In reply to Offwidth:

Glad you enjoyed it!!

re: the 'unstated enemy' I was pretty happy they remained unstated. I can think of two countries that they could easily have chosen, but this would be sabre rattling on a ridiculous scale. Also, they got battered so you can insert your choice of foe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...