Tool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 16 Jun 2019

Went to see Tool play in Prague last week. 20 years of being a fan and almost getting used to the idea that I'd never see them live, I'd basically given them the very low bar of "not being shit" to meet for me to be the happiest lad in the world. The fact that they were sensationally good was almost a mere bonus.

Any other prog-metal fanbois out there?

Stichtplate 16 Jun 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I'd love to see them, just couldn't face Download at my age. When's A Perfect Circle gonna tour?

OP MonkeyPuzzle 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

No idea. I saw that the only chance to see them in the UK was at Download but didn't fancy paying for a full festival just to see one band. Luckily I realised I have a full time job these days and realised I could see them wherever I wanted. As good as all the shifting rhythms are on record, live they're mind blowing. Yes. Yes. Yes.

alexm198 17 Jun 2019

Would give my left nut to see Tool live. Was disappointed there wasn’t a non-Download UK date. 

Still holding out hope they’ll announce another tour after the album release in August...

Stein 17 Jun 2019

Going to see them next week here in Zurich. Last time they were around the EU I was too young to go to a concert and already gave up on the idea that I would ever be able to see them live. Good to hear you liked the concert!

Tyler 17 Jun 2019

I've never listened to Tool but have a Spotify account and am dipping a toe into a few progy things. Do you have any recommendations of individual songs I should listen to, ideally melodic and accessible rather than anything to experimental? Thank you

Stein 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Tool is not on Spotify (at least last time I checked). Schism is probably the best known Tool song. Some other songs> Lateralus, Forty Six & 2, The Pot, Parabol + Parabola, ... . I rarely listen to one song though, most of the time I listen to the entire album. Enjoy!

Tyler 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Stein:

Thanks, looks like you are correct. Various Tool themed playlists but nothing actually from them. Back to Captain Beefheart for me then...

OP MonkeyPuzzle 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Apparently they're in talks with Spotify re making their stuff available to coincide with the new album in August.

Lornajkelly 17 Jun 2019

definitely a prog-metal fanboi here.  

Last night was amazing.  Well worth the £90 day ticket!  Dream theater were slightly underwhelming but I suppose there's not much they can do with a second-stage headliner-support slot.  My favourite songs are all 25-minute epics and they'd have had time for exactly two of those.  Lots of the new album though, which sounded excellent.  

I'm a little miffed that Tool didn't play Lateralus (as one of my favourite songs of all time by any artist), but there was plenty else to enjoy very much.  The new album sounds like it's going to be quite something.

TobyA 17 Jun 2019

Unless another band had that name in the early 90s I saw when they were the support act. Is their 'logo' a spanner that looks half like a willy?

I'm annoyed now I can't remember who they were supporting - it could have been Rage Against the Machine when they first came to the UK, but it could have been, but it could have been a British band like Ned's. 

Anyone else remember seeing them supporting another band maybe 25-27 yrs ago?!

In reply to TobyA:

> Unless another band had that name in the early 90s I saw when they were the support act. Is their 'logo' a spanner that looks half like a willy?

That's them.

> I'm annoyed now I can't remember who they were supporting - it could have been Rage Against the Machine when they first came to the UK, but it could have been, but it could have been a British band like Ned's. 

Could well have been Rage. Maynard James Keenan is the guest vocalist on Know Your Enemy.

If so I'm really jealous.

Stein 17 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

They first came to the UK in 1993, as support of RATM if I remember. There is a youtube video of them playing in Nottingham in 1993.

The 'willy' logo was their first logo I believe.

philipivan 17 Jun 2019

Enjoyed Tool last night at donnington. There were a lot of very excited people there saying "I've waited so long for this moment"! Another highlight was smashing pumpkins covering snowblind with a hot pregnant lady! 

In reply to philipivan:

Ace. How long did Tool play for?

philipivan 17 Jun 2019

Around 1.5 hours. Here's the set list

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2019/donington-park-castle-donington-en...

The visuals were very cool! 

Lornajkelly 17 Jun 2019
In reply to philipivan:

> The visuals were very cool! 

Which is a mercy considering I couldn't see any of the stage whatsoever!  I could just about see Danny's drum raise if I stood on my tiptoes.  Being 5'3 is a hindrance to several of my hobbies - climbing, live music...

tom r 17 Jun 2019

Tool were amazing last night, glad I dipped out of Slayer to see them. Was really impressed with Smashing Pumpkins as well. 

Not another Johnson thread - oh, wait....

jcm

TobyA 17 Jun 2019
In reply to philipivan:

> Another highlight was smashing pumpkins covering snowblind with a hot pregnant lady! 

That sentence can be read in a number of quite interesting ways!

So it sounds like I did see them support RATM. Cheers all.

philipivan 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Being 6'4" I find is a big disadvantage in climbing but useful at concerts...

philipivan 17 Jun 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Yes maybe should have thought about that more deeply... here is the footage not me filming  youtube.com/watch?v=Px18ySB917E&

In reply to philipivan:

Billy Corgan's slow morphing into Uncle Fester now complete.

In reply to philipivan:

Wicked - you got only one less song than we did at the Prague gig, but it was knocking on for two hours. There were a few extended bridges plus a Danny Carey vs. drum machine drum solo.

Lornajkelly 17 Jun 2019

I also saw him referred to as a goth Gru (from despicable me)

In reply to Lornajkelly:

Like an angry pepperpot.

Glad to hear they were good but no Jimmy Chamberlain = no Smashing Pumpkins if you ask me.

philipivan 17 Jun 2019

JC is back. He even had his initials on his bass drum. It's only D'arcy that's missing. 

In reply to philipivan:

Cor blimey I don't recognise him at all. He almost looks healthy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...